CF Conversions to 2K19 ~ Updated CF Conversion Kit Tutorial RLSD 8/26!

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K19 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

CF Conversions to 2K19 ~ Updated CF Conversion Kit Tutorial RLSD 8/26!

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:51 pm

*Edit 8/9/19

* NOTE * If this is your first time looking at this thread, it's not going to be worthwhile to read through start to end.
It's taken many different turns that ended up being dead ends and it was all over the place, so there's no real order to it.
A lot of it was also me just thinking out loud lol. CF conversions from 2K17 and 2K18 have been figured out. Check latest post for more.
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:52 am, edited 31 times in total.
trevorjpt33

Re: CF Conversions into NBA2K19

Postby sitew33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:56 pm

The png files are pretty much the same except hair has it's own separate IFF file. For example A player is png7500, png7500hair_01, face 7500.
sitew33

Postby R4zoR on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:59 pm

sitew33 wrote:The png files are pretty much the same except hair has it's own separate IFF file. For example A player is png7500, png7500hair_01, face 7500.

Did you manage to get the headshapes to work tho? For me right now, the face.iff files are working, but the png's don't, cause the appeareance_info.RDAT has more strings in it. And i'm not sure about the headshapes yet.
R4zoR has been modding video games for 10 years now, if you want to help me out in the process financially. You can do so by clicking on this link https://www.paypal.me/modderr4zor I will be more than grateful, for the support.
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:10 pm

sitew33 wrote:The png files are pretty much the same except hair has it's own separate IFF file. For example A player is png7500, png7500hair_01, face 7500.

Interesting. That should not be a big deal - by the sound of it all we would need to do is just drag converted files to that other archive.

I'm curious - is there still only one .mathnodes file amongst all the 3D files? And is it just the hihead.SCNE file that points to it?
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevorjpt33

Postby sitew33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Same here... Just playing around with it right now.
sitew33

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:15 pm

R4zoR wrote:

Did you manage to get the headshapes to work tho? For me right now, the face.iff files are working, but the png's don't, cause the appeareance_info.RDAT has more strings in it. And i'm not sure about the headshapes yet.

Try replacing with an appearance_info.RDAT from 2K19, then update any similar values in there to 2K18 player (eye color, muscle type, etc.)
trevorjpt33

Postby R4zoR on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 pm

trevorjpt33 wrote:
R4zoR wrote:

Try replacing with an appearance_info.RDAT from 2K19, then update any similar values in there to 2K18 player (eye color, muscle type, etc.)

I mean it crashes for me, if i do that. Because hihead.scne has more values + swapped up some names, if i don't touch the headshape at all, it's good to go. So we will need to learn how to get 2k18 headshapes to work
R4zoR has been modding video games for 10 years now, if you want to help me out in the process financially. You can do so by clicking on this link https://www.paypal.me/modderr4zor I will be more than grateful, for the support.
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:30 pm

R4zoR wrote:
trevorjpt33 wrote:
R4zoR wrote:

I mean it crashes for me, if i do that. Because hihead.scne has more values + swapped up some names, if i don't touch the headshape at all, it's good to go. So we will need to learn how to get 2k18 headshapes to work

You could try operating from a 2K19 hihead.SCNE file and just pasting in the "Material" and "Prim" sections from the 2K18 file. Then change the .model file to match the 2K19 file.

I anticipate the new parts are in the "Deform" and "Morph" sections? The same thing happened from 2K17 to 2K18. The morph values especially, if not including new ones, will cause the game to crash every time. That's why working form a 2K19 hihead.SCNE file and copying in a couple sections from 2K18 file might work.
trevorjpt33

Postby R4zoR on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I'll show the differences to you in a video so you could know what i'm talking about.
phpBB [video]
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby Shuajota on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:35 pm

When I get the game activated on Steam (I have the standard version) I will try to help here. I´m very interested in to make compatible my faces from 2K18 too.
Shuajota
NBA2K Mods: www.shuajota.com

Postby TGsoGood on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I think the shorts length that I player wears will be related to the appeareance_info.RDAT this year.
I have saw a video with players on the same wearing different length shorts. Also saw a comment on OS about a CAP Charles Barkley wearing long shorts while his teammates wore retro shorts.

Edit: I could be very wrong, I can't unlock the game until Tuesday.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby R4zoR on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:37 am

Okay so i tried to do some more things with the png****.iff files, I gave up on the 2k18 to 2k19 thing. There's a lot of differences in the scne files, maybe someone's gonna be smarter in that area and will get it to work. But you can swap hair around between 2k19 files, facial hair has this thing added it's called tangent space (which is a calculated value model) if i open it up in blender, it's a really small mess of vertices( the scne file, it has some values in there which auto-generates) those values are responsible on how the model is gonna look like, so unless someone knows how to revert that to a previous years system, it would be way easier. We can swap the facial hair models too, but the way they generate themselves on the faces, can't be edited with blender. So the png****.iff format is different, we will need to do more editing towards it to get 2k18 png files to work, you can't just shove the files from 2k18 to make it work. But Face****.iff files work fine from 2k18 to 2k19.

This is how a beard model (facialhair_01_tangentspace) looks like in 2k19 when you load it in blender
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:50 am

Re: 3D hair and facial hair

From what I can see, in order for the game to read 3D hair that's been copied in from another player.. The has_hair, etc. TRUE/FALSE values must be reflective of that change. If so, it could be that we will have the same freedom to copy and swap hair between players - only now we are copying the png####hair_01.iff archives into the modded folder as opposed to copying in the .SCNE and .model files like we were doing last year.
^Also with the hair, 2K18 was able to read 2K17 3D hair in the different format (where all the 3D models were packed into one hihead.SCNE file). So hopefully that new Tangent Space model will be like the hair and facial hair "Shell" files, where we can just discard them for converted players in 2K19.

The difference in the name of the section form "Node" to "Transform" should not be a big deal. Just written a different way. Regardless of the name, those are the values involving the skeleton that get the player in the right posture, how the arms/legs are held up, etc. Just like last year, there are a few new values added to that section. By working from a 2K19 hihead.SCNE file and then just pasting in the info that matters from the converted player, the file will already have those new values.

Pertaining to mesh names, the exact same thing was done between 2K17 and 2K18 - it went from "L_eyeShape" to "R_eyeShape". Regardless, the mesh names of the 2K19 file will not matter since you will be pasting in the "Prim" and "Shader" sections from the converted player's hihead.SCNE file. 2K18 read the meshes/vertex groups of 2K17 files just the same.
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevorjpt33

Postby R4zoR on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:53 am

Yea i managed to give Rob Covington a mohawk + beard, by using jared sullingers hair files, but the beard editing is messing me up, so i gave up on it for now.
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Here's an update on where we are at so far with conversions. We have the player showing up and their face and 3D hair converting fine. The converted model will import, export, and import back into Blender looking completely normal. However, in the game the body is all crazy like this picture below. I think it might be something in the hihead.SCNE file that is causing this.

With that being said, getting to this point has been much easier than last year. We are one step away from getting full conversions into 2K19 albeit with some testing needed. Below are the steps to get to this point - any help or input would be appreciated as to how we might be able to fix it.

1. Start from a 2K18 face.iff and a 2K19 png.iff archive. If you are converting a player that is in files for both games, use that. Otherwise pick any other.

2. Delete all but 4 files in the png.iff archive: appearance_info.RDAT, the .mathnodes, hihead.SCNE, and .model files.

Delete LOD files in the png.iff archive and the LOD contents inside the 2K19 hihead.SCNE file.

Find the section “Prim” and the vertex group "armpitHair_shader" in both your 2K18 and 2K19 hihead.SCNE files. You will see "Count" a couple lines below. Copy this line from the 2K18 file and paste it over that same line in the 2K19 file. (If the player has goggles, a mask, etc. do the same thing with those vertex groups).

5. Find the section “Morph” and go down all the way to the end of the section. In your 2K18 file copy the BOTTOM 8 lines and paste them under the last line of the same section in your 2K19 file (from "compressed_back" to "twist_R"). Save and exit.

6. Drag the appearance_info.RDAT file from your 2K18 archive into your 2K19 archive to replace it.

7. Drag in your .model file for the converted player - the main one that the 2K18 hihead.SCNE points to. Copy the name of the original, 2K19 .model in the archive, delete that file, rename the remaining .model file by hitting paste.

Now, drag in any tattoos, 3D hair files, etc. from the png.iff archive of the 2K18 player. These will show up like normal. Now you should see something like the picture above.

Your face.iff archive should remain the same

The png.iff archive should have these files
appearance_info.RDAT
hihead___.model
hihead.SCNE
hihead___.mathnodes
+ Any tattoos or 3D hair or accessories brought over
Last edited by trevorjpt33 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trevorjpt33

Postby diamenz on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 pm

man, u guys are good at this stuff.
diamenz

Postby trevorjpt33 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Maybe this could be what is causing the body to show up weird? The skeleton seems to have changed drastically this year. I looked at the skeletons for 2K17, 2K18, and 2K19. 2K17 & 2K18 look about the same, while 2K19 looks entirely different - like it's scaled way down. See the GIF above for a side-by-side comparison.

I know very little about the skeleton and what all it affects and if editing/swapping it is possible. If anyone else has some insight it would be much appreciated.

*If you are wondering how I was able to import the skeletons for 2K18 and 2K19 - make a copy of your hihead.SCNE and hihead.model files and throw them into a new folder. Inside the scene file, change "hihead" to "player" in all instances except for the first line and towards the end where it is part of the .mathnodes file name. Then rename the .model it points to so that the filename says "player" instead of "hihead". For 2K19 there is one extra step - find the "Transform" section in the hihead.SCNE file and rename it to "Node" and you're good to go.*
trevorjpt33

Postby maumau78 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Are the vertex group just the same between 2k18 and 2k19?
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:25 pm

maumau78 wrote:Are the vertex group just the same between 2k18 and 2k19?

Yes. Same names and as far as I know the face count is the same for all of them except armpit hair.
trevorjpt33

Postby maumau78 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:48 pm

trevorjpt33 wrote:

Yes. Same names and as far as I know the face count is the same for all of them except armpit hair.

This is crazy...there should be a solution for sure...my question is If you just swap 2k19 .model with 2k18 model of the same player...will the game show problems?
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:16 am

maumau78 wrote:
trevorjpt33 wrote:

This is crazy...there should be a solution for sure...my question is If you just swap 2k19 .model with 2k18 model of the same player...will the game show problems?

Yes. It will not show up if you do that. If you insert correct armpit hair face count and add those 8 values I mentioned above into the "Morph" section they will show up.

It will look something like the picture of Kareem above - it will show problems.
trevorjpt33

Postby maumau78 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:28 am

trevorjpt33 wrote:
maumau78 wrote:
trevorjpt33 wrote:

Yes. It will not show up if you do that. If you insert correct armpit hair face count and add those 8 values I mentioned above into the "Morph" section they will show up.

It will look something like the picture of Kareem above - it will show problems.

Looks like the vertex->skeleton bones assignment is way different from 2k18 to 2k19 so even if the model is almoust the same It will show up messed becouse vertex will reference to missing or different bones....
Unfortunately I don't think we have any tool for correct vertex->bones assignment :-(
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trevorjpt33 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 am

maumau78 wrote:
trevorjpt33 wrote:
maumau78 wrote:
trevorjpt33 wrote:

Looks like the vertex->skeleton bones assignment is way different from 2k18 to 2k19 so even if the model is almoust the same It will show up messed becouse vertex will reference to missing or different bones....
Unfortunately I don't think we have any tool for correct vertex->bones assignment :-(

That makes sense with how it's appearing in game. It looks like some of the parts of the body are just fine (where the vertex groups are the same as last year) and then looks real messed up in other areas.

I'm going to try to remove the bones from the skeleton that are no longer in 2K19, along with removing vertex group assignments that are associated with the player model. Do you know if/how the skeleton can actually be exported?

*Update - turns out there are 46 bones/vertex groups that were removed. I was able to go into blender and disconnect and remove the unneeded bones and their accompanying vertex groups, but that did not fix the issue. I'm starting to think we should try to use 2K18 .mathnodes instead of 2K19 ones... Because the 2K19 .mathnodes are expecting an entirely different skeleton, but 2K18 .mathnodes are expecting 2K18 skeletons. Although it's possible that there could be some glitching, though.*
trevorjpt33

Postby bluejaybrandon on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:14 am

I really hope you're able to get this. This would be a big break and give a head start on various 2k19 projects. There were some fantastic faces made for 2k18.
bluejaybrandon

Postby trevorjpt33 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 am

bluejaybrandon wrote:I really hope you're able to get this. This would be a big break and give a head start on various 2k19 projects. There were some fantastic faces made for 2k18.

Agreed. I will be working on it and it will continue to be my main focus. I'm a little stumped right now but hopefully through trial and error and/or some help we can get it figured out early on.
trevorjpt33

Next

Return to NBA 2K19 Modding