Possible workaround for offline rosters ?

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Possible workaround for offline rosters ?

Postby MadbaLL on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm

coming from old gen nba 2k pc games (2k9 - 2k14) and being a hardcore retro mods fan (urb, ubr and pat's mod), i found how tricky is using retro rosters with this gen of nba 2k games, to be more specific, nba 2k19 and 2k20.

i can guess this was probably issued before, but knowing those games allow using user made rosters downloaded from servers with all different names authors gave them, then there must be a place in game folders where those rosters are stored after download?

going with logic, is it possible to put retro rosters from nlsc wherever those downloaded rosters go (same folder), so game can read them as downloaded ones? basically it means to trick the game. i cannot accept that game can read without issues all rosters people upload on the servers, while it cannot read rosters we put in "remote" folder without specific procedure.
MadbaLL

Re: Possible workaround for offline rosters ?

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:55 am

Yes, it's still possible to download rosters the old fashioned way. The installation instructions and tutorials for Dee's UCTR roster for NBA 2K17 and stildo33 and company's retro roster mods for NBA 2K19 explain the procedure.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MadbaLL on Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Andrew wrote:Yes, it's still possible to download rosters the old fashioned way. The installation instructions and tutorials for Dee's UCTR roster for NBA 2K17 and stildo33 and company's retro roster mods for NBA 2K19 explain the procedure.

i think you misunderstood, i was talking about using retro rosters the same way we use them with old gen nba 2k games (2k9-2k14). :)
MadbaLL

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:57 am

Any rosters can be downloaded outside of the game, placed in the appropriate saves folder, and used as if they were downloaded in-game. In other words, the same method as the previous generation. There are a few extra steps as outlined in the instructions/tutorials I mentioned, but the short answer is yes, it is still possible to share rosters for PC after the servers are shut down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby MadbaLL on Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:57 pm

i meant without those extra steps, i know how it works.
MadbaLL

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:59 am

Unfortunately, that's the only way to install rosters without the 2K servers due to the change in file formats. Ever since 2K15's file structure change, rosters have basically become tied into a steam save (maybe as a form of anti-piracy?) instead of easily accessible roster files. Also with the introduction of the SYNC.bin file, the roster.iff file can render old saves as corrupted.

For a basic summary:

- Change in file structures
- Introduction of SYNC.bin updates
- Rosters not being in their own dedicated folder
RayRay_953

Return to NBA 2K20