Shot meter disappeared?

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Shot meter disappeared?

Postby tinpanalley on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Has anyone had their shot meter disappear? I'm certain I had seen it recently and now I can't seem to get it back.
tinpanalley

Re: Shot meter disappeared?

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Not without manually turning it off. Have you installed any new mods recently, such as a custom global?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm

I didn't think so. I mean I had added a TSN broadcast thing but I'm pretty sure it was working with it installed. Plus, I see it on the CPU team.
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Might be worth removing it just to be absolutely sure.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Andrew wrote:Might be worth removing it just to be absolutely sure.

No custom global files in that mod. I don't get it. I feel like it went away when I was playing with the different kinds of shot meters.
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:46 pm

What are your current Shot Meter/Feedback settings?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:49 am

Andrew wrote:What are your current Shot Meter/Feedback settings?

tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:43 am

It should at least be appearing by the player's feet then, yeah. If you want it up by the player's hands then you'll obviously need to change that setting, but yeah, the meter is clearly still enabled. I haven't encountered anything like that so the only thing I can think of is a conflict with a mod, or possibly a somewhat rare bug.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:43 am

Changing to real player percentage removes the shot meter because your release does not matter under that setting
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:09 am

[Q] wrote:Changing to real player percentage removes the shot meter because your release does not matter under that setting

So if I put it back to user I should see the meters? The splash and flash and so on?
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:28 am

[Q] wrote:Changing to real player percentage removes the shot meter because your release does not matter under that setting

Ah, of course! I never play using that setting, so no wonder that didn't click.

With that in mind, yes, switching it back should re-enable the meter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 am

Andrew wrote:

Ah, of course! I never play using that setting, so no wonder that didn't click.
With that in mind, yes, switching it back should re-enable the meter.

Hmm.. maybe this is contrary to logic, but my thinking with basketball games is always that I want a player to have the same success-fail rate as his real life counterpart. I don't want to get so good at shooting that I can make a crappy player shoot threes just because I've perfected my own timing.
tinpanalley

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:40 am

That has been my biggest complaint about the way that 2k does things. I remember in 2k7 people would shoot like 90 percent free throws with Ben Wallace because of an "easy" animation but Yao under 50 because of a long animation. I don't think success rate should be so dependent on an animation

Also after starting playing 2k20 a few weeks ago I've noticed that I have been having a hard time getting green releases with great shooters and that anything that's slightly early or late has a big chance at missing. I may have to pull up my jump shooting stars somehow but it's bad

I also tried real % for a little bit after being frustrated after missing so many easy layups and inside shots
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:04 pm

[Q] wrote:That has been my biggest complaint about the way that 2k does things. I remember in 2k7 people would shoot like 90 percent free throws with Ben Wallace because of an "easy" animation but Yao under 50 because of a long animation. I don't think success rate should be so dependent on an animation

But what other way is there to do it? You either sink the shot because the players rating says so or because of your timing. In other sports games, this doesn't happen. There's a batting average, no matter how good your vision and timing are, the hitter's ratings affect your success. No matter how good you are at shooting a puck, the accuracy of the shot is controlled by the ratings. Why is it different for basketball players?
I suppose it could be done this way... that you press shoot and the release isn't controlled by you, but what you control is setting your feet, being open enough, who is matched up against you. But once you press shoot the game takes over and calculates your chance of scoring. That would work. I just don't like that I do well or not because of how good my timing is. Otherwise what difference does it make who's on your team, you know?
tinpanalley

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Yeah it sounds like you should leave it on real player percentage based on the way you want to play. Playing my league I had it on that until I switched to my career where my player is like a 79 overall with bad stats so I took it off real percentage so I won't get penalized for bad ratings lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:31 pm

There's definitely two schools of thought when it comes to Real FG%. Obviously you don't need the meter if you're using it, so that solves that issue at least.

One thing to keep in mind however is that this year, the CPU uses shot timing rather than Real FG% as it did in the past. You can see how often it'll give itself Green Releases, so you may possibly be at a disadvantage if you're relying on a dice roll while the CPU is relying on timing, since a computer is always going to be more precise in its input, and will sometimes be a bit cheesy as a result.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:42 pm

Oh... ugh.. so whats the solution? 2K14 and 2K11? No, but really, is there a mod that makes the game use real ft%? I guess I'm too much of a purist. How does it work in 2K11 and 14?
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:52 pm

There are no Green Releases at all in NBA 2K11 and NBA 2K14, so in that sense both the user and CPU are at the mercy of dice rolls, even with perfect timing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Now I'm thinking about it more deeply... I'm not sure what's better. I think the ideal is that it's about getting your timing right but that your ability to hit perfect accuracy is measured by ft%
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:16 pm

I prefer user timing as I want my input to matter. Although in theory you could Green every release, it's harder to do in practice. I think it'll work fine offline, and online you wouldn't want to rely on Real FG%. With that being said, the only real test is to play with both and see which works best for you in the modes that you play.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:55 pm

I have been using the meter by the hands (as it is default) but once in a while I actually look for but can't find the meter on the screen until it's too late. Often times I feel like the meter is also too small. Is there a way to make the meter bigger? What's the difference between all of the options (splash, splat, flash)?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:31 pm

No options to make it bigger, but you can set it to be by the hands and feet, which might give more of a visual aid. The splash/splat/flash options just refer to the visual effects that occur upon getting a Green Release. The other thing to keep in mind is the rumble feedback when Vibration is on. The controller will vibrate as you're hitting the perfect release point, so that can also help out with your timing (as does getting used to the visual cues of shooting animations, of course).

Incidentally, it's great to see some more gameplay discussion as of late! Modding is obviously a big part of what we do here, but I'm enjoying having these conversations about actually playing the games, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Well still no green splash, splat, or flash. I'm running Shuajota's roster and mods.
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Are you still using Real FG%? Because again, that apparently turns the meter off.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:47 pm

No, I'm on user shot accuracy.
tinpanalley

Next

Return to NBA 2K20