Auto substitution and rotation problem

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Auto substitution and rotation problem

Postby Leander on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:39 pm

I can't get substitutions right. Setting every player's minutes on the coaching screen does not work as the game user's the color chart (rotations)...you cannot just set the starting center to 33 minutes and the backup to 15...as you need to "paint" minutes...ok, so I spent quite some time doing that, but still the game does not do what I want. Players with 0 minutes get subbed in and I rotate more than I want...or I want someone to be on the court for 20 minutes, but it just does not work and everyone gets random minutes...I have yet to find a way to get proper results. The only solution is to use manual substitutions...is this a bug? Or how can I assign minutes and the CPU actually lets every player play the correct number of minutes?
Leander

Re: Auto substitution and rotation problem

Postby [Q] on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:17 pm

I usually start by guessing how many minutes I want each player to play and setting it in coaching settings. Then I hit start and adjust the substitutions manually by painting them and then auto subs sticks to it unless someone is "on fire" or no dead balls occur at that time
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Leander on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:54 am

I tried that, but it does not work. I have a rotiation with 10 players, but the AI subs player 11 and 12 in.
Leander

Postby Leander on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:15 pm

Ok, this is really stupid and annoying! I created a timeline before the game. Ewing should play 38 minutes, Harper 31, Hubert Davis the most minutes for a bench player...in the end Davis had the fewest minutes...and Christie, a player I had not assigned any minutes, also had 4 minutes...this is completely broken!

What is the purpose of spending hours on starting lineups? I only finished three teams for my 94-95 roster so far...started a new MyLeague season, turned off trade logic and the Bulls do NOT use my timeline. Harper started as PG, Longley as C...and a retro filler got some minutes...the CPU had changes my entire timeline. :(
Leander

Postby Bassman58 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:02 am

I have found that the CPU changes rotations. If your sixth man has higher a overall rating then the CPU will start him instead. Think Lou Williams. If you control the team the players will play the approximate minutes you assign. This works even if you simulate the game. If you assign the 11th man 5 minutes, he will play 5 minutes. I have found that the timeline is nearly useless because you can't save the timeline. The timeline resets whenever you change your lineups due to injuries or any other reason. For the 94-95 Bulls Perdue needs to have a better overall than Longley so you may need to adjust the ratings a little. But what to do with Jordan? He only played 17 games at the end of the year. Armstrong and Harper started all season before Jordan returned.
Bassman58

Postby Leander on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:32 am

But aren't rosters released with "actual lineups"? The timeline does not work, neither for CPU teams nor mine. Or do they work in play now mode? I was about to spend countless hours on editing starting lineups, but if the CPU changes them when MyLeague starts, it will make no sense.
Leander

Postby Leander on Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 am

Ok, finally found out how to load a custom roster in play now mode...assigned minutes work there...BJ Armstrong and Jordan, Harper coming off the bench, Perdue starting at center. It sucks that season mode does not use these settings and everything's a mess again.
Leander

Postby Mavsfan_1991 on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Is player minutes set to manual in coach settings? That can be the cause of the problem as well. Also if you want someone to start with a lower rating, go to the player with a higher rating, edit player, and in the vitals section you can find the force non-starter option. You can turn it on for the season or for the career.
Mavsfan_1991

Postby Leander on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 am

Thanks! Don't manual coach settings have you sub in all players manually?
Leander

Postby Mavsfan_1991 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:12 pm

There are two settings in coach settings that affect substitutions. One is the substitution setting. If you set it to manual then you will have to make substitutions yourself. However if you set substitution to auto and player minutes to manual, the computer will follow your rotation. If you have both set to auto, the computer will still not follow your rotation.
Mavsfan_1991

Postby Leander on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:20 am

I think it is the other way round. I used auto substitution and had minutes set to manual and nothing happened....then I changed it to auto and backups entered the court.
Leander

Postby RandyBJC1 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:57 am

Leander wrote:I think it is the other way round. I used auto substitution and had minutes set to manual and nothing happened....then I changed it to auto and backups entered the court.

Did you figure it out? Is everything playing out like you want now?
RandyBJC1

Return to NBA 2K20