Unable to Launch NBA 2K20 Through Steam?/Freezes Entire Computer?

Talk about NBA 2K20 here.

Unable to Launch NBA 2K20 Through Steam?/Freezes Entire Computer?

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am

Hey guys, I've recently updated my graphic card and processor drivers to host on Parsec. I've had no problems booting up 2K20 after the updates until one point when the application became unresponsive after I loaded the game. Now every time I launch 2K20 through Steam, the Steam client (not the 2K20 application) uses 100% of my memory and disk in task manager, which will eventually freeze my PC every time. 2K20 appears to be the only game that does this, as I can launch all of my other PC games just fine through Steam and other launchers (this includes more demanding games as well).

Alternatively, I've attempted to load the exe file from the Steam directory without signing in first. I see the process active in task manager, then it brings me to the steam sign-in window. From there I sign in, but then the 2K20 process begins to use 100% disk and memory, which eventually freezes my computer, even after verifying file integrity.

Has anybody encountered this problem before? Should I reinstall the game to see if that fixes anything?

EDIT: I just tried reinstalling the game and that didn't help. When launching the game, the 2K20 application continues to use 100% of the memory and disk (sometimes reaching over 4GB in RAM memory). I looked into the process branch, and it appears that Steam is trying to use a similar amount of disk and memory as the 2K20 process but then drops back down to a normal level (2K20 also appears to be running inside the Steam process branch as opposed to its own process). I've tried a bunch of other games again, and it's only 2K20 that seems to cause a memory leak. In addition, the system process in task manager also heavily spikes in disk usage.
RayRay_953

Re: Unable to Launch NBA 2K20 Through Steam?/Freezes Entire Computer?

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:50 am

Update #1: I've once again reinstalled 2K20 and blocked connections via offline mode. I tried using an older exe to no avail. I run into the same issue where 2K20 uses all of my RAM and disk (which causes the system process to freak out as well), and eventually freezes my computer. I've done a hardware check on all my components (HDD, RAM, graphics card, etc.) and everything seems to be fine. I've even successfully gotten 2K17 to work. Steam support tells me that they can't offer much help with games from another developer, and 2K Support doesn't really support 2K20 anymore, so does anybody have suggestions I can do to fix this?
RayRay_953

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:05 am

open C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\2K Sports\NBA 2K20
look at VideoSettings.cfg file size, if its bigger than few Kb delete it and try to launch the game.
i have this issue sometimes with nvidia bugging this file
sticky-fingers

Postby RayRay_953 on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:46 am

sticky-fingers wrote:open C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\2K Sports\NBA 2K20
look at VideoSettings.cfg file size, if its bigger than few Kb delete it and try to launch the game.
i have this issue sometimes with nvidia bugging this file

Thanks Sticky, that fixed the issue! I checked the file, and it was around 830 MB :crazyeyes:
RayRay_953

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:53 am

Glad this tip helped you
sticky-fingers

Return to NBA 2K20