Modding Idea, not sure if it's Feasible

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K20 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Modding Idea, not sure if it's Feasible

Postby ok123 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 am

Hello all, this is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while, and I decided to make an account just to post this:

I know it's way too early to properly discuss 2K20 modding, but I'd like to bring up an ambitious idea I've been considering for a while.
However, I've never done any 2K modding, so I'd like to ask you all how feasible it is.

This is what I have in mind:

It's like the historical teams feature, but expanded for every team and every year. So, we could seamlessly choose a match-up between the '05 Suns or the '12 Grizzlies or the '20 Clippers etc... (I think it was Madden 05 or 06 that had something similar to this)

Obviously, that's impossible just using the in-game tools.

But I see 2 ways this could be done:

(1) Mods
This would require a UI mod (so we can fit 100s of teams in a single interface/menu) and a way to make Roster Files hold the info for 100s of teams.

(2) Roster Files
If the above mods prove to be impossible, then we could always make a bunch of easily searchable roster files available for download that cover every possible yearly match-up. (If we cover the last 20 years of NBA rosters, then this would require ~180 unique roster files - Of course, this way is much harder and definitely not seamless, but it's technically possible lol)

---

Either way, this is a job that's way beyond the skill or time that I can contribute. I guess I'm just looking for advice / help on this idea. (Also, I wouldn't mind doing it on an older 2K game or an NBA Live game if there are larger mod possibilities).

Thanks for reading,

ok123
This topic was moved from NBA 2K20 by Andrew on Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 pm.
ok123

Re: Modding Idea, not sure if it's Feasible

Postby bluejaybrandon on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:29 pm

So the problem I see is that your first option is beyond what modders are currently capable of. They can only add teams for as many slots as 2k provides.

As for the second option, the issue would be that you can only load one roster at time so there would be no cross year matchups. You would have to play ‘05 v. ‘05.
bluejaybrandon

Postby TGsoGood on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:01 pm

I noticed you said you "wouldn't mind doing it on an older 2K game or an NBA Live game if there are larger mod possibilities"
You should check out the NBA 2K14 modding section. This idea sounds just like UBR and URB rosters from 2K14.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ok123 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:41 pm

bluejaybrandon wrote:As for the second option, the issue would be that you can only load one roster at time so there would be no cross year matchups. You would have to play ‘05 v. ‘05.

We forgot about the All-Time teams! I made a custom roster (viewtopic.php?f=240&t=107776) that replaced the All-Time teams with the 2017 rosters and the kept the 2018 rosters the same.

---
Also, bluejaybrandon, thanks for turning me on to UBR! One of the greatest game-mods I've ever encountered.
ok123

Postby Ura44master on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:13 am

Can somebody teach me how to mod it's very interesting
Ura44master

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 am

No one's going to take you by the hand and teach you.
Check 2K17/18/19 tutorial sections, check TsoGood channel, use search engine here, ask questions in the relative topics.
sticky-fingers

Postby Stildo33 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:03 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:No one's going to take you by the hand and teach you.
Check 2K17/18/19 tutorial sections, check TsoGood channel, use search engine here, ask questions in the relative topics.

Yep. Start small, then work your way. Edit players names/stats/etc. Then learn how to use retired jersey numbers with any player on any team. Then learn how to remove those stupid nicknames 2k assigns to a created player. "Goose" checks in. Idiots, 2k.

Then learn how to do all the hard crap. haha.
Stildo33

Postby Thunder Shaq on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 am

This is just my second year of modding, but I feel I’ve already made some progress. The best way is to dive in and read through the modding threads. Then, you want to mess around in the tools and find out what you don’t know. That’s when you should ask in the appropriate threads about specific things. I’ve found that people are generally willing to help you on some things, but you have to put in the work on your end first.
Thunder Shaq

Return to NBA 2K20 Modding