How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K20 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:05 pm

I have spent some time learning how to add playoff logos to courts after watching some videos and reading up about it. But one thing I can't figure is how to edit a court and get it into Photoshop, or Gimp or, in my case, Paint.net, when it doesn't have the Big76ers file in it? I would love some direction on this because all I can find in the f0xx.iff files are the textures for the all the other logos associated with the court but can't find the court itself.

Here's an example of what I've been doing. https://imgshare.io/images/2021/02/12/2 ... 8_1.md.jpg
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:50 pm

when it doesnt have the Big76ers dds file, its probably not a "one court" texture.

so you have to open the floor in Blender and then move all textures at the right place
and the hardwood floor then is a filled texture
Twitter | YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K21 - 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
User avatar
sticky-fingers
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am
Location: France

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:36 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:when it doesnt have the Big76ers dds file, its probably not a "one court" texture.

so you have to open the floor in Blender and then move all textures at the right place
and the hardwood floor then is a filled texture


Thank you for the answer! However, i don't know how to open a .iff in Blender or how to go about it. I haven't been able to find any tutorials on how to edit courts that way really.
I've watched TGsoGood tutorials, that he kindly linked me, but that already had a Blender 3D file to go with the template, but I don't understand how to make one my own.
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:59 pm

you have to unzip the iff file with 7-zip (for example)
then you have to use blender with the NBA2K plugin for Blender to open the floor.SCNE
then load the right texture for each 3D object

you can check this very old video (load scene, move textures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIrIR1OoVM
tools arent the same now, but it could help you to understand the process
Twitter | YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K21 - 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
User avatar
sticky-fingers
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am
Location: France

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:23 am

sticky-fingers wrote:you have to unzip the iff file with 7-zip (for example)
then you have to use blender with the NBA2K plugin for Blender to open the floor.SCNE
then load the right texture for each 3D object

you can check this very old video (load scene, move textures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIrIR1OoVM
tools arent the same now, but it could help you to understand the process


Ok! The unzipping I get. I've been able to extract the big76ers file and edit that, to add playoff logos, but I've never heard of the NBA2K plugin. Gonna see if I can find it.
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:47 am

Twitter | YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K21 - 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
User avatar
sticky-fingers
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am
Location: France

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am

sticky-fingers wrote:it's here Blender Importer-Exporter Script


Thanks. Yeah I found an old version for it.
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am

sticky-fingers wrote:it's here Blender Importer-Exporter Script


Thanks. Yeah I found an old version for it.
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:56 am

sticky-fingers wrote:you have to unzip the iff file with 7-zip (for example)
then you have to use blender with the NBA2K plugin for Blender to open the floor.SCNE
then load the right texture for each 3D object

you can check this very old video (load scene, move textures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIrIR1OoVM
tools arent the same now, but it could help you to understand the process


I watched the video and installed the plugin and it loads fine but nothing really comes up on the screen. Like he says in the video, I can't see the whole court, but I managed to open a stadium file and can see partial things, but the viewing field is really small. In his video he talks about pressing A and then doing a V to change the perspective. That doesn't work in Blender 2.80. What should I do instead?
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 am

This is what it looks like: https://imgshare.io/image/pw8t0x
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:07 am

Set a higher value to Clip end (default is 1000) , i dont know where you can set this option on Blender 2.8 (i use an older version).
Twitter | YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K21 - 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
User avatar
sticky-fingers
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am
Location: France

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:12 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Set a higher value to Clip end (default is 1000) , i dont know where you can set this option on Blender 2.8 (i use an older version).


Well, I'm getting there, thanks to you :)
I've gotten a bit further. Found the clip end setting and figured out how to import textures, but I don't know how to apply or how to get them to show up... https://imgshare.io/image/pwAA2q
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:35 am

Is it possible to just render it down so you can get the .DDS file instead?
And why are some courts .dds and are easy to edit while others don't have that big76ers file in them?
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm

KyotoCarl wrote:Is it possible to just render it down so you can get the .DDS file instead?

Not sure to understand what you mean.
those stadiums with all those dds are probably better optimized for performance. The game loads one small hardwood floor the whole floor with it. You got x same logos on the floor, the game loads one texture and repeat it x times.


KyotoCarl wrote:And why are some courts .dds and are easy to edit while others don't have that big76ers file in them?

"Big76ers" courts are modded files, one texture versions.
The court you work on are like the default one.
Twitter | YouTube | flickr

Retro Mods for NBA 2K21 - 2K20 - 2K19 - 2K17 - 2K16
User avatar
sticky-fingers
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am
Location: France

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby KyotoCarl on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:58 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:
KyotoCarl wrote:Is it possible to just render it down so you can get the .DDS file instead?

Not sure to understand what you mean.
those stadiums with all those dds are probably better optimized for performance. The game loads one small hardwood floor the whole floor with it. You got x same logos on the floor, the game loads one texture and repeat it x times.


KyotoCarl wrote:And why are some courts .dds and are easy to edit while others don't have that big76ers file in them?

"Big76ers" courts are modded files, one texture versions.
The court you work on are like the default one.


Ah, I see. So the one texture versions aren't derived from the 3D model per say?
Well, I can't figure out how to load the textures in Blender. Watched a couple of tutorials and I feel like I'm following along importing them and then using the "lookdev" mode, or "observer mode" but I can't get them to load.
KyotoCarl
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: How do you edit a court that doesn't have the Big76ers file in the fxxx.iff?

Postby bikerjimuk on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 am

It's probably easier to find a modded version of the court as that will have the full court big76er texture which you can paint much easier.
User avatar
bikerjimuk
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:42 pm


Return to NBA 2K20 Modding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mamba Mentality and 5 guests