NBA 2K20 Cheat Engine Guide (for beginners) | How to Start, Editing Team Colors

Modding tutorials and other resources for NBA 2K20.

NBA 2K20 Cheat Engine Guide (for beginners) | How to Start, Editing Team Colors

Postby kobedurant on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:35 am

Since I haven't seen a formal guide about how to use Cheat Engine (although I could be completely unaware of any out there), I figured I might as well contribute for anyone interested.

If I include any misinformation or if any parts are confusing, unclear, etc, please reply so I can make any changes accordingly.
(note: I will be replying to this post three times immediately after posting. This is so if I make any future tutorials about cheat engine, I'll be able to edit those posts, so all the information will be towards the top of the thread, rather than scattered around in the replies.)

Sections of Guide:

Setting Up Cheat Engine

How to edit shoes/accessory colors

:new: How to add practice jersey slots

:new: Jersey ID List
Last edited by kobedurant on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K20 by Andrew on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:22 pm.
Image Image
kobedurant

Setting Up Cheat Engine | NBA 2K20 Cheat Engine Guide

Postby kobedurant on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 am

Setting Up Cheat Engine

Cheat engine is a very usefool tool to manipulate game files, especially in ways mods aren't able to.

This is a link to a post by Rob Davis viewtopic.php?p=1991822#p1991822
In the post, he has two links, the first is a mediafire download which has 4 cheat engine tables; Player, Stadium, Team, and Uniform. This also includes version 1.05 of the NBA 2K20 exe included. This is because the cheat engine tables are ONLY compatible with that version of the game. I'd recommend backing up your current exe file somewhere safe, then copy and replacing your current exe with version 1.05 in your NBA 2K20 directory. Whenever you want to use the tables, just make sure you're using this version of the exe.

The second link is to download Cheat Engine (since you'd need to install the software so you can use the tables).
:!: :!: :!: FULL DISCLAIMER :!: :!: :!:
when I personally installed Cheat Engine through that link, I ended up getting a trojan virus. To be fair, I probably did something stupid like leave one of the shady pre-instillation boxes checked off, so be careful instead of mindlessly pressing Next over and over like me. I'm also not entirely sure if you HAVE to have that specific 6.7 version of cheat engine for the tables to work properly.
(edit: Thanks to [Stove], I figured out where I went wrong

If you see this screen make sure to decline it, and it is also recommended you uncheck both the options before pressing finish)

Once you get everything running, I'd recommend skimming through the two youtube videos Rob uploaded going over two of the tables. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPY0_TozIaU & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmnAPei6Dk). At the very least, it helped me learn the basics of how the tables are set up, what they can do, and how they are used.
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image
kobedurant

Re: NBA 2K20 Cheat Engine Guide (for beginners)

Postby kobedurant on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:37 am

How to edit shoes/accessory colors

After you download the tables and installing Cheat Engine, you're going to need to open the table called Uniform Data.

While it opens, make sure you have version 1.05 in your NBA 2K20 directory, and then launch the game.

Go to the roster you want to edit the colors for (through create roster from the main menu). Or alternatively, you can pick your MyLeague/MyGm/MyCareer save file if you want to make changes to any of those.

When the table finally launches (it does take a few mins, even with a really good PC), open it and select NBA 2K20 as your process. Then by clicking the squares next to the letters, you will be able to see various jersey files in the game.

When you finally found the jersey you want to edit, theres an option called "Accessory Colors Dropdown" where you can go through and edit all the colors using hex.
Here are two screenshots for the settings I personally use for the Celtics along with before and after previews in game

BEFORE (away)

AFTER (away)

BEFORE (statement)

AFTER (statement)

Unfortunately, if you make changes outside of the create a roster menu (i.e. play now screen), you won't be able to save your changes. Also, these changes ONLY alter rosters/save files where you have the ability to save. It doesn't change your games default color settings.

Personally, I make changes in the play now screen, so I can preview as I go along to make sure I have the hex colors I prefer. Then I copy my changes into notepad, open create a roster from the main menu, load my roster, copy the changes from notepad into the table, then save my roster.

The great thing about this table though, is it has the "All Bytes of Colors" option. So for instance, you can make changes to one Celtics jersey with the altered shade of green, then copy and paste the "all bytes" data to all the other slots. Here's an example of me copy and pasting all the Heat City jersey bytes to another slot I used for a modded Vice jersey.

BEFORE (all byte copy)

AFTER (all byte copy)
Last edited by kobedurant on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
kobedurant

Postby kobedurant on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:37 am

How to add practice jersey slots

So, by default, all 30 current teams have 2 practice jerseys (home & away)

Here is the comparison between what the table looks like for the 76ers home practice jersey with the default roster versus what it looks like when the practice jersey is usable in game. I'll go into further detail explaining each change I made
(also ignore that all the addresses are slightly between screenshots, I was using two different rosters in game to demonstrate, first one being the default roster while the "edited" is from a roster I'm working on)

Original:

Edited:

Really the only necessity here is to switch the Type from "Practice" to "Normal"

Original:

Edited:

The next two changes I made are optional

As shown by the red, I changed the jersey id name to say "Home" rather than "Practice." This makes it a bit easier in game, as when you select the jersey it will tell you which practice slot it is. This is specifically helpful when wanting to mod over these slots, as I'm personally not a fan of the practice jerseys and have no intention of using them in game.

As shown by the blue, I changed the "All Bytes of Color" for the edited slot. Originally, the game uses only two accessory colors, which I did not care for, so I copy and pasted the "All Bytes of Color" from the current 76ers home jersey and pasted it over the default. Again, this is optional and based solely off your preference.

Original:

Edited:

And from then on, its just a tedious rinse and repeat process.
Also, its worth noting that all practice jersey slots by default use the identical Nike socks that the "current" team uniforms use, and the practice jersey slots are the very two last jerseys you'd see when selecting uniforms before a game.

And thats really all there is to this specifc task, as you can see these are the Atlanta Hawks default jerseys, followed by two Boston Celtics jerseys I modded over the default practice jerseys.

When I get a chance, the next tutorial I will cover will be about how to use access jersey files already in the game, but hidden away and are unusable by default (which will also be able to be modded over). To go with this, I'm creating a full database of all the jersey slots in the game to make this process as convenient as possible. I then want to release a roster fully maximizing the potential of these slots shown in the cheat engine table and I want to release a jersey mod pack to reflect all my personal additions. This will all be a long process, and ideally, I'd want to release all this information/content at once, so bear with me for the time being.
Last edited by kobedurant on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kobedurant

Re: NBA 2K20 Cheat Engine Guide (for beginners) | How to Start, Editing Team Colors

Postby ShadyMikeGaming on Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Bro this is awesome dude. Can you explain how to use sliders in Mycareer?
ShadyMikeGaming

Re: NBA 2K20 Cheat Engine Guide (for beginners) | How to Start, Editing Team Colors

Postby kobedurant on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:16 pm

ShadyMikeGaming wrote:Bro this is awesome dude. Can you explain how to use sliders in Mycareer?

I'm not too familiar with Mycareer, so I don't think I'd be able to help you out there :?

If I had to point you in the right direction though, I think KappaLambda's Cheat Engine Table may include that feature, but I haven't tested any of it out myself, so no guarantees (viewtopic.php?p=1979056#p1979056)
kobedurant

Postby TGsoGood on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:27 am

great job here
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kobedurant on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:43 am

TGsoGood wrote:great job here

thank you! :D
Image Image
kobedurant

Postby madskillz327214 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:59 pm

how can i turn off nicknames on created players?
madskillz327214

Postby kobedurant on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:48 pm

madskillz327214 wrote:how can i turn off nicknames on created players?

viewtopic.php?p=1982248#p1982248
I found a solution for your exact question here ^ :D
Image Image
kobedurant

Postby ShadyMikeGaming on Fri May 01, 2020 9:52 pm

So Im pretty familiar with cheat engine from other games for some reason my information just wont populate the table...I'm using v1.5 of 2K that came with the file...loaded the table / process any ideas of why it wont activate?
ShadyMikeGaming

Postby kobedurant on Sat May 02, 2020 12:55 am

ShadyMikeGaming wrote:So Im pretty familiar with cheat engine from other games for some reason my information just wont populate the table...I'm using v1.5 of 2K that came with the file...loaded the table / process any ideas of why it wont activate?

The only reason for that happening I can think of is that the version of 2K the table was created for doesn't match the version of 2K you are running. If it's not that, I don't really know what the issue could be :?
Image Image
kobedurant

Postby ShadyMikeGaming on Sat May 02, 2020 3:23 am

kobedurant wrote:
ShadyMikeGaming wrote:So Im pretty familiar with cheat engine from other games for some reason my information just wont populate the table...I'm using v1.5 of 2K that came with the file...loaded the table / process any ideas of why it wont activate?

The only reason for that happening I can think of is that the version of 2K the table was created for doesn't match the version of 2K you are running. If it's not that, I don't really know what the issue could be :?

Thanks brother appreciate thje help, the issue was on my end. So you can't just drag it into your directory and rename your original exe because it will still open the latest version that was my bad once I completely removed the old (well new) 2k20.exe it worked fine just in case anyone else runs into this issue....

With that being said can you give me a little insight on how to edit sock colors? I was able to change shoe color, accessory color, successfully but for some reason I'm not able to change the sock colors.

As you can see by the picture I'm trying to make the sock color black and I went down t o primary sock color but that doesn't seem to stick. Any advice?

Screenshot (178).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShadyMikeGaming

Postby kobedurant on Sat May 02, 2020 7:48 am

ShadyMikeGaming wrote:
kobedurant wrote:

Thanks brother appreciate thje help, the issue was on my end. So you can't just drag it into your directory and rename your original exe because it will still open the latest version that was my bad once I completely removed the old (well new) 2k20.exe it worked fine just in case anyone else runs into this issue....

With that being said can you give me a little insight on how to edit sock colors? I was able to change shoe color, accessory color, successfully but for some reason I'm not able to change the sock colors.

As you can see by the picture I'm trying to make the sock color black and I went down t o primary sock color but that doesn't seem to stick. Any advice?

Screenshot (178).png

I've actually been trying to mess around with that myself. What I've found out so far is that if a uniform uses Nike socks, the game seems to be pretty glitchy.

For instance, with some uniforms, you can force a color (similar to how you tried to force black in your screenshot), but it would use that custom inputted color with the default sock model (the same model used for the retro jerseys without the Nike logo). In that case all the color options to the right of the screen stay the same, and switching to another option and back to the one you edited completely undoes your change. In other cases, like with what you've experienced no change happens.

Ideally, if I can find the location of the sock files i.e. "acc_sock_home_000phi" I should be able to edit the colors in photoshop/gimp. But that file does not seem to be in either the manifest or the sync bin, and I'm not really sure where to look for it.
Image Image
kobedurant

Postby TGsoGood on Sat May 02, 2020 2:13 pm

mike try editing the highlighted region first. I usually just change to another team's socks that has the color I want but there are many options
(Thank goodness for KSmiz's table)
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Sun May 10, 2020 1:30 pm

kobedurant wrote:How to edit shoes/accessory colors

After you download the tables and installing Cheat Engine, you're going to need to open the table called Uniform Data.

While it opens, make sure you have version 1.05 in your NBA 2K20 directory, and then launch the game.

Go to the roster you want to edit the colors for (through create roster from the main menu). Or alternatively, you can pick your MyLeague/MyGm/MyCareer save file if you want to make changes to any of those.

When the table finally launches (it does take a few mins, even with a really good PC), open it and select NBA 2K20 as your process. Then by clicking the squares next to the letters, you will be able to see various jersey files in the game.

When you finally found the jersey you want to edit, theres an option called "Accessory Colors Dropdown" where you can go through and edit all the colors using hex.
Here are two screenshots for the settings I personally use for the Celtics along with before and after previews in game

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (away)
[ Image ]

AFTER (away)
[ Image ]

BEFORE (statement)
[ Image ]

AFTER (statement)
[ Image ]

Unfortunately, if you make changes outside of the create a roster menu (i.e. play now screen), you won't be able to save your changes. Also, these changes ONLY alter rosters/save files where you have the ability to save. It doesn't change your games default color settings.

Personally, I make changes in the play now screen, so I can preview as I go along to make sure I have the hex colors I prefer. Then I copy my changes into notepad, open create a roster from the main menu, load my roster, copy the changes from notepad into the table, then save my roster.

The great thing about this table though, is it has the "All Bytes of Colors" option. So for instance, you can make changes to one Celtics jersey with the altered shade of green, then copy and paste the "all bytes" data to all the other slots. Here's an example of me copy and pasting all the Heat City jersey bytes to another slot I used for a modded Vice jersey.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

AFTER (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

afterchanging team colors if i go back to 1.10 nba 2k20.exe will it work? or it only works with 1.5 exe?
jeremiahsabado284

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (away)
[ Image ]

AFTER (away)
[ Image ]

BEFORE (statement)
[ Image ]

AFTER (statement)
[ Image ]

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

AFTER (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

afterchanging team colors if i go back to 1.10 nba 2k20.exe will it work? or it only works with 1.5 exe?
jeremiahsabado284

Postby kobedurant on Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm

jeremiahsabado284 wrote:

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (away)
[ Image ]

AFTER (away)
[ Image ]

BEFORE (statement)
[ Image ]

AFTER (statement)
[ Image ]

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

AFTER (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

Any changes you make will show up on any version of nba 2k20, but the cheat engine tables are designed specifically for 1.05, so youd have to switch back to that version if you want to make anymore changes
Image Image
kobedurant

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Sun May 10, 2020 2:14 pm

kobedurant wrote:
jeremiahsabado284 wrote:

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (away)
[ Image ]

AFTER (away)
[ Image ]

BEFORE (statement)
[ Image ]

AFTER (statement)
[ Image ]

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

BEFORE (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

AFTER (all byte copy)
[ Image ]

Any changes you make will show up on any version of nba 2k20, but the cheat engine tables are designed specifically for 1.05, so youd have to switch back to that version if you want to make anymore changes

Thanks man! just finished changing colors! and it Worked! the color change. but i got one problem tho. before starting the game in the change color accessory menu. when i pick a color the socks doesn't change color. but the other accessories chnge color. except the socks? is there a fix for that?
jeremiahsabado284

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Tue May 26, 2020 12:58 am

kobedurant wrote:How to add jersey slots

Sorry for the inconvenience, should have this bit finished up in a few days!

i dont mean to rush. but when is this dropping? excited to try the mod!
jeremiahsabado284

Postby Ksean36 on Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

It appears all of my changes keep reverting back to default. I am in the roster creation screen with my CE open. I made changes to the sock colors ( I was able to see the colors update in the player editor so I know that those values worked) and then saved the roster. When I open the roster i just worked on and saved (local save) all the changes I made to the sock colors revert back to default.

Is there anyone out there that can help with this?

Thanks in advance.
Ksean36

Postby kobedurant on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:48 pm

jeremiahsabado284 wrote:
kobedurant wrote:How to add jersey slots

Sorry for the inconvenience, should have this bit finished up in a few days!

i dont mean to rush. but when is this dropping? excited to try the mod!

Sorry for the prolonged wait, I just dropped it now :D
kobedurant

Postby kobedurant on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Ksean36 wrote:It appears all of my changes keep reverting back to default. I am in the roster creation screen with my CE open. I made changes to the sock colors ( I was able to see the colors update in the player editor so I know that those values worked) and then saved the roster. When I open the roster i just worked on and saved (local save) all the changes I made to the sock colors revert back to default.

Is there anyone out there that can help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I'm just seeing this now, are you still having this issue? If so, what team were you trying to change? Or was this happening with any team you tried to edit?
kobedurant

Return to NBA 2K20 Tutorials & FAQs