2K22 MAY BE THE LAST 2K ON PC

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Re: NBA 2K21 PC OLD GEN

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 am

I wanted to wait and reserve judgement until the demo. From what I have seen, I can agree this game should not be $60.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:50 am

TGsoGood wrote:I wanted to wait and reserve judgement until the demo. From what I have seen, I can agree this game should not be $60.

I agree. I'm not prepared to spend 60 bones for nothing more than a roster update and a few new animations. Did they fix things that matter, like the poor defense where you can just drive the lane with no resistance? Offensive rebounding? Those are more important to me. I think I'll stick with 2K20, until I hear otherwise.
Uncle Drew

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:02 pm

go7denboot wrote:I really dont meant to be negative but its so disrespecful to make people pay full price for a 2K20 update basically without any real update yet since next season will be push back. Seeing the gameplay/myteam blog, its really concerning. And the point made by some of you who saying: its good because all mods will be compatible... is very stupid because whats the point of switching to 2K21 if the game is not even better than the previous one its basically the same. Its very dishonest from 2k where Nba Live made their season update free last season or PES who sell their season update half price. Do you realize that the game is coming out in less than 2 weeks and there is no real gameplay footage yet, thats a really bad sign.

So, before you go calling that point "very stupid" (and by extension, the people making it "very stupid"), keep in mind the context in which it was made. The point was that if there's a silver lining to the not unexpected situation of the PC receiving a Current Gen port this year, it's that we'll be able to re-use existing modding tools and possibly assets. Anyone who does choose to get it may benefit from a modding standpoint, while anyone who sticks with NBA 2K20 may also be able to benefit from backwards compatible (or easily convertible) files. The argument is not that it's ideal (it isn't), or that it justifies the cost (it doesn't), or everyone should upgrade (by all means speak with your wallet), or anything like that. It's that there are some possible benefits if we choose to try to make the best of the situation, as we did with NBA 2K14 PC. Again, it's a silver lining, not an ideal scenario.

As to who will upgrade with minimal improvements...frankly, lots of people, because lots of people do every year. It's not like NBA 2K20 was remarkably better than NBA 2K19 (some feel it's worse, in fact), and while NBA 2K19 cleaned up some mess from NBA 2K18, it was hardly a revolutionary upgrade. The argument is often made that annual sports games are little more than a roster update at the best of times, and while that is selling them short in some respects, the fact remains that a lot of people buy the games every year despite minimal improvements and even long-standing dissatisfaction. Obviously some people choose to skip years or give up on a series, but plenty more continue to buy it every year. I have no doubt that despite already shaping up to be NBA 2K20.5 (or NBA 2K19.2 if you want to be really snarky about it), people will buy NBA 2K21 on PC, PS4, X1, and Switch. The appeal of a new game that will receive updates at some point is too much for a lot of people to pass up. Boycotts are easier said than done; Jim Sterling has discussed this at length.

The price tag is a separate point altogether, but since you've brought it up, it is indeed a troubling issue. I'd suggest that it's an issue every year of course, especially with the recurrent revenue model that NBA 2K has adopted and become increasingly pushy with over the course of this generation. It absolutely does feel worse this year since we're at the end of the generation's lifespan as the current generation, and we won't even have updated rosters at launch. No disagreement there, though on that note PS4, X1, and Switch gamers are likewise being overcharged, so it's not just the PC getting the short end of the stick on this occasion.

I agree the price should absolutely be lower for Current Gen this year. Indeed, I advocated for that on a recent episode of our Podcast. As I said there, they're charging extra for Next Gen because of all the (promised) improvements and everything, but not discounting the Current Gen version even though that's become an afterthought. I'm not surprised they haven't though, considering they continue to sell older games at RRP for a couple of years after they're new, and even for the year or so they're still available after their servers have been shut down (and a good chunk of their content is now inaccessible). Again, no disagreement that they're not being fair to Current Gen gamers.

As I said though, that was never the argument, and the point about mod compatibility was a silver lining, not an argument why the PC should still be Current Gen, or that people must upgrade, or anything like that. Just a case of "Alright, these are the cards we've been dealt. How do we play this hand?".
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:09 am

Just wait until Christmas and get it for like $5 if you're not happy about the price. I might do it like it if it drops in a sale.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:17 am

True, if you're a collector/completionist then it won't be too long before it's on sale dirt cheap.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby go7denboot on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 am

Andrew wrote:So, before you go calling that point "very stupid" (and by extension, the people making it "very stupid")

I just read that and I knew I wasnt going to read the rest... It cant be more wrong, you make shortcut where it doesnt have to be. saying that a point is stupid have NOTHING to do with what they made(in instance, modding) is stupid. Its the same of saying something like: Lavar Ball said something stupid... so by extension lonzo, liangelo n lamelo are surely stupid too.. it dont make any sense. SMH...
go7denboot

Postby bluejaybrandon on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:35 am

go7denboot wrote:
Andrew wrote:So, before you go calling that point "very stupid" (and by extension, the people making it "very stupid")

I just read that and I knew I wasnt going to read the rest... It cant be more wrong, you make shortcut where it doesnt have to be. saying that a point is stupid have NOTHING to do with what they made(in instance, modding) is stupid. Its the same of saying something like: Lavar Ball said something stupid... so by extension lonzo, liangelo n lamelo are surely stupid too.. it dont make any sense. SMH...

I do agree completely with your sentiment here. The whole point of disagreements is separating the person from the statement. Smart people say stupid things all the time which does not make them stupid people. Saying something is a stupid point is in no way a indicative of invention to call the person stupid.

That being said, the remainder of Andrew’s points are well taken and I think it would do well for general discussion purposes if you at least read it.

The fact is people are going to buy it despite all evidence pointing to it being a poor choice. Hopefully those that do find joy in it and those that don’t have content that will continue to flourish.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:01 pm

If the length of my post and couching it with an argument about semantics and whatnot is a sticking point, I can certainly be more succinct.

The point about modding capabilities is not meant to be a defense/justification/glorification of a Current Gen port, but rather looking at a potential silver lining, since it is what it is (and wasn't unexpected besides). It's not a case of "this is good", but rather "this is how we might be able to make the best of it". A lot of people already buy the game every year despite minimal improvements and a high price tag (especially given the recurrent revenue mechanics), so people buying NBA 2K21 PC is a situation that's likely. To that point, the price is asking too much, across all platforms getting the Current Gen version. This is particularly grating given that Next Gen is going to be $10 more expensive (around $40 more expensive here in Australia) and 2K is trying to justify that, while not lowering the price on the lower priority, outmoded Current Gen version.

It is what it is and we'll try to make the best of the situation as far as the PC version is concerned. If it's the price and 2K's general business practices and lack of goodwill we're talking about, then no disagreement here. I've no doubt burned all my bridges with 2K talking about that stuff in articles and on the NLSC Podcast over the past few years.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Agreed.

It is absolutely a benefit that most mods from 2K20 will work on 2K21, and the modding section for 2K21 will have A LOT of activity. Some will appreciate that, some won't.

It's a positive for some, but not all. And it IS a benefit of 2K21 being a last gen port on PC, it is not a negative aspect of it. It may be stupid to some, some may want to stick with NBA 2K20 on PC, and that is totally fine. But it is important to respect those who will be buying 2K21 and see the mod capabilities/sharing right out of the gate as a benefit.

2K21 has some gameplay improvements, and it has some added depth. The graphics are indeed the same. But for some, that is enough for them to enjoy a new release, and enough for modders on here to dive into making new content.

Even though I had quite a few issues with 2K20 gameplay, I made the best of it after/while showing my concerns. I uploaded some gameplay videos, got my brothers involved in it, and even made some mods for it. The point is: I made the best of the situation.

2K releasing a PS4, X1, and PC version several months before a PS5 release is a benefit in itself, as it gives people the opportunity to play a basketball title with updated rosters, added depth, and some gameplay changes without having to wait until November/December.

They did the right thing by releasing the way they did. Do I wish the game had a few more changes and more bells and whistles (maybe some slightly improved graphics, etc), sure.... am I also a bit disappointed that that the PC version is not a PS5 next gen port? Of course, I said that on the podcast. But some positives/benefits exist in this situation for SOME people, as I stated.

We will have to try and make the best of it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby go7denboot on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:54 pm

I understand the "make the best out of it" thing, but thats not the reason why I make this topic. The goal is to prevent 2k players to be robbed of 60$ for an update and push 2K to improve their game. The other reason why I create this thread is to avoid the "next-gen FIFA" situation where they did not port the game to next-gen on PC until Fifa 11 which was 4 years later the next-gen port on PS3/XB360. And the old gen version was really bad(like Charlotte Bobcats bad).

As it is right now I'm not so sure that 2k22 will be next-gen on pc partly bc the players doesnt seem unhappy with the previous ones and bc their selling are raising anyways so they will not be willing to put more money to port it as they know PC games are cheaper than consoles and they cant raise the price that much unlike PS4/PS5.

So if u guys still want to play the same game again next year, then dont pay attention to what I say but if u want 2k to put PC on the same line as PS5/XBX as much as possible, we need to be heard by them and personally Im not buying the game this year for the first time since 2k12 its just trash and there will not be many update during the year bc they will be focusing on the next-gen version...
go7denboot

Postby gregotin on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Hey all,

Wanted to put my two cents. I understand why some pc players want to buy 2K21 this year but just a reminder about the update benefit thing. I don't see where the real update will be in this 2K21. First of all, the game is out early september. Next NBA season will (possibly) happen in december. So it directly means that in the game we will NOT have updated :

- Roster
- Rookies
- Contracts
- Salary Cap

This break instantly MyLeague, Season, MyGM modes. So it means that this 2K21 only worth playing MyTeam or MyCareer modes.

And I don't see the new shot meter like "a new feature" or making a 6'4" point guard adding gameplay depth.

I respect everyone choice here but I sincerely don't think I'll buy this game anymore.
gregotin

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:06 pm

go7denboot wrote:I understand the "make the best out of it" thing, but thats not the reason why I make this topic. The goal is to prevent 2k players to be robbed of 60$ for an update and push 2K to improve their game. The other reason why I create this thread is to avoid the "next-gen FIFA" situation where they did not port the game to next-gen on PC until Fifa 11 which was 4 years later the next-gen port on PS3/XB360. And the old gen version was really bad(like Charlotte Bobcats bad).

As it is right now I'm not so sure that 2k22 will be next-gen on pc partly bc the players doesnt seem unhappy with the previous ones and bc their selling are raising anyways so they will not be willing to put more money to port it as they know PC games are cheaper than consoles and they cant raise the price that much unlike PS4/PS5.

So if u guys still want to play the same game again next year, then dont pay attention to what I say but if u want 2k to put PC on the same line as PS5/XBX as much as possible, we need to be heard by them and personally Im not buying the game this year for the first time since 2k12 its just trash and there will not be many update during the year bc they will be focusing on the next-gen version...

I understand but piracy and online gaming have evolved since this era.

2k20 Owner estimations
670,000 .. 780,000 by PlayTracker
5,000,000 .. 10,000,000 by SteamSpy
897,940 .. 2,693,820 based on reviews

Even at lowest price, for an average port, i think its a good business for 2K
sticky-fingers

Postby go7denboot on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:43 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:I understand but piracy and online gaming have evolved since this era.

2k20 Owner estimations
670,000 .. 780,000 by PlayTracker
5,000,000 .. 10,000,000 by SteamSpy
897,940 .. 2,693,820 based on reviews

Even at lowest price, for an average port, i think its a good business for 2K

Well they surely have not sold 5 to 10 millions copy on PC as official number reports 12 millions on all platform on may 2020. 600k to 800k is more realistic even it would suprise me bc of piracy...

And I assure you its not that simple as: we will make x amount of money so lets make it happen. its possible they can make a lot more money by partnering on a deal with Playstation and Microsoft to boost the selling of next-gen consoles even more. Its already the case for the first year every nextgen release so no one can tell if they cant make it a multi-year deal. And also have you never heard of NBA Live's and NHL's series...
go7denboot

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm actually optimistic as far as NBA 2K22 being a Next Gen port. While precedent is no guarantee, we find ourselves in a similar scenario to when the current generation launched. The PS4 and X1 came out after the usual release window for NBA 2K, so the established platforms (including the PC) all received what was then the Current Gen version as normal. The PS4 and X1 versions of NBA 2K14 were launch titles, and then the following year when all the supported platforms were getting NBA 2K15 at the same time, the PC got the PS4/X1 port. I think we're seeing the same scenario play out again with this forthcoming generation, which I believe strongly suggests a Next Gen port for NBA 2K22.

The only other point of reference we really have here is NBA Live on PC/PS3/360, where the PC version continued to be a PS2 port until it was discontinued. Of course, that was a blessing when it came to NBA Live 06, as the PC version was preferable to the 360 release. I think it's a much less likely scenario for NBA 2K though, when you consider that EA has never really been behind NBA Live as much as its other sports series, even when it was the best-selling and best-rated NBA sim before NBA 2K took those titles. For example, the reason that NBA Live 2002 was console-exclusive is that the team simply wasn't big enough to work on a PC port that year. It comes down to resources, and 2K is willing to dedicate a lot of resources to NBA 2K, so I'd suggest that the NBA 2K14/NBA 2K15 situation is the more likely point of reference.

I'm actually less optimistic that Next Gen is going to be the revolution that we want. We've seen the same legacy issues persist through multiple generations, and engines that were new and also reportedly built from the ground up. When it comes down to it, Visual Concepts has a way of designing basketball video games, which means while graphics might improve, the on-court experience still has some familiar frustrations. I'd like to be proven wrong there with a Next Gen release that is a big jump forward between the lines, but looking at how similar NBA 2K14 PC/PS3/360 and NBA 2K14 PS4/X1 were in the nuts and bolts of gameplay, I'm sceptical.

Don't get me wrong, it's important that the PC gets the Next Gen port beginning next year, but again, I'm optimistic that that'll happen. I'm more concerned about the quality of the experience across all platforms, what with long-standing legacy issues that already span generations of games and tech, design choices and general direction, and the lack of a competitor that gives 2K freedom to do things that aren't always pro-consumer. It'll be nice to get that Next Gen port on PC as soon as next year, but I also want it to be a game worth playing.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby MrArni on Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:29 am

This game won't be better since they fix players movement
MrArni

Postby Slata on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:13 am

hi everyone, do you think we can use 2K20 mods on 2K21?

thks :wink:
Slata

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 am

There's a strong possibility, but we won't be able to say for sure until the game comes out and we've been able to test that out.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Slata on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:42 am

Andrew wrote:There's a strong possibility, but we won't be able to say for sure until the game comes out and we've been able to test that out.

(Y)
Slata

Postby BPDHoplite on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:13 am

I was lucky enough to get this for free so if anyone wants me to personally check anything in particular for them just lmk
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby SHAQSHOTDOG on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:05 pm

DaCrispy wrote:I was lucky enough to get this for free so if anyone wants me to personally check anything in particular for them just lmk

Hello, does 2k20 body mods work in 2k21 or are they glitched?
SHAQSHOTDOG

Postby eziquiel on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 pm

jmmontoro wrote:People shouldn't feel disappointed or anything, this is strictly business, probably most developers have agreements with Sony and Microsoft to favour their consoles and delay any PC release.

They charge the same price, so of course you should be disappointed (and pissed).
eziquiel

Postby bellza on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Yeah I think I'll give this a miss this year and just play 2k20 still.

Not only the BS current gen stuff but from seeing people like KOT4Q do a MyLeague already, it's literally the same game except there's no rookies like LaMelo yet. What's the point in paying for that?

I'm new to PC gaming, do any of the older guys remember when PC got next gen when PS4 came out? For example is it likely we'll have next gen on PC for 2k22?
bellza

Postby trekfan1013 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:13 pm

bellza wrote:Yeah I think I'll give this a miss this year and just play 2k20 still.

Not only the BS current gen stuff but from seeing people like KOT4Q do a MyLeague already, it's literally the same game except there's no rookies like LaMelo yet. What's the point in paying for that?

I'm new to PC gaming, do any of the older guys remember when PC got next gen when PS4 came out? For example is it likely we'll have next gen on PC for 2k22?

PC went Next Gen with 2K15 (after the consoles got it for 2K14). Honestly, on the previous generational shift, PC had the advantage gameplay/modding wise -- the console games looked prettier by a lot (HUGE jump) but the functionality of those next-gen PS4/XBone game was very limited. They stripped out so much.

I assume that 2K has learned from that mistake and won't be doing that for the PS5/XSX (if only because, graphically, I don't think there's a way they can push it much further), so we should be getting new features in addition to a great looking game, without stripping back what came before too much.

I fully expect 2K21 to be next-gen for PC -- PC gaming has made a major comeback since the last generational shift, PC gamers have a very good chunk of the market, so 2K won't be leaving that money on the table next fall.
trekfan1013

Postby Slata on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:32 am

Andrew wrote:There's a strong possibility, but we won't be able to say for sure until the game comes out and we've been able to test that out.

apparently it doesn't work :cry: :cry:
Slata

Postby Hadley88 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:04 am

Last NBA2K Game I bought was 2K19 and I still regret it.
Hadley88

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K21