MyTEAM NBA 2K21

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Re: MyTEAM NBA 2K21

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:26 pm

deionr829 wrote:Does anyone have tips I never done my team before

Sure! First things first, be sure to enter every Locker Code that's released. This site does an excellent job of tracking them, including when they expire. Most expire in seven days, some last until the end of a Season (which lasts about six weeks), a few never expire, some are limited quantity (though they're rarer now) and the ones that are co-promotions with content creators usually expire in 12 hours. Enter them ASAP, and you'll be able to take advantage of them.

The reason you'll want to do so is that Locker Codes give you an opportunity to beef up your team with some solid (or if you're lucky, great) cards, free of charge. Other than that, I would advise avoiding packs, unless you're also using MyCAREER or another mode to farm VC. The odds simply aren't good, and you'll get a lot of doubles. Packs are for people who are spending money, and while you may choose to do that - it's your money to spend at the end of the day - I'm an advocate for No Money Spent.

Instead, play through the Challenges, Triple Threat Offline, and Domination to get rewards and build your team. If you have any interest in the online modes in MyTEAM, wait until you've built up your collection first, or you're probably going to be overmatched by gamers who have already snagged some of the top cards.

It's something that applies to MyLEAGUE/MyNBA as well, but don't be put off by Overall Ratings. You won't need a team stacked with 90+ Overall players to beat the CPU, except on the tougher Challenges. There are Ruby cards (high 80s) that are very effective, because the individual ratings are what make them lights out shooters or unstoppable on the drive. You can view cards and check out their attributes beyond the Overall Rating, to get a better idea of how they play. Word to the wise, Rex Chapman from the IDOLs series is a gun. He can usually be found pretty cheaply in the Auction House.

Speaking of the Auction House, that's what you should save your MT for. I'd advise being patient and looking for the best deal. When new cards drop, they hit the Auction House at extortionate prices. Their value will drop over time. There's also no need to overpay for fairly common cards (Ruby level and lower). One thing you do have to be aware of this year is that some of the items on The Agenda require you to use Original Owner cards, which means ones you pull from a pack or Locker Code, or earn through one of the modes, and not anything you've bought in the Auction House. Original Owner cards have an "OO" sticker on them.

Logging in every day will also earn various rewards. They're not always that useful, but packs of contracts are quite common rewards. As long as you're logging in regularly, you'll remain stocked up on contracts, and probably never have to buy them. Log in every day of the week, and you'll get to spin the wheel for other rewards. The trick is to do everything you can to build your team without spending any money on VC, and any VC on packs. It's more of a grind, but it's a lot cheaper, and more satisfying in my opinion.

That should get you started, but any other questions, feel free to ask!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby reds824 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 am

Hello, new at modding this game. I have a question. I bought 2k21 on xbox but its my first time playing myteam. I got into it, and i like it, but the cards are too expensive. I would like to purchase 2k21 on pc now, and would like to mod the myteam roster, for example, today a kobe and shaq pantheon pack was released. I want those cards, and was wondering if I can just add them to my MyTeam with the help of mods from this site.
reds824

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:28 am

It's not possible, no.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Thank God it's not possible lol.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:26 am

Agreed. A majority of people definitely wouldn't be sticking to the offline modes with modded lineups. We've seen how that's ruined the online scene in MyCAREER's connected modes on PC.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:37 pm

He has arrived. :cry: I recently sold off my entire collection for like no reason and it's about to pay dividends.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:59 pm

I'll wait and see if he drops in price at all, but in any event, it's awesome to see him back in the game. (Y)

I've been playing a lot more MyTEAM this year, splitting time between pretty much every offline mode with an online game here or there for XP. It's been really refreshing after so many years pouring hours into MyCAREER, which I have played a little of this year, but nowhere near as much. It's been great having an incentive to use different cards that would normally just sit in the collection making up numbers. The progression rate could be better as some of the XP rewards are low and the Season Agenda isn't always very even in reward placement and XP levels, but it's keeping me entertained. I think this is the year I'll be able to get through a lot of Domination as well.

My biggest gripe remains the broken economy, thanks to the third party MT selling and low in-game rewards. I can still enjoy the mode regardless, but it does ruin the Auction House and remove all incentive to even consider buying packs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:54 am

Picked up Galaxy Opal Bill Walton from the prize board.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:25 am

Just had a game-winner in my second game with Ben... wasn't terribly exciting given my opponent's defense was pretty bad. Bought Amethyst Rose for cheap; got the Bulls court, logo and jerseys as well. All I need is 25 more tokens to get Amethyst Noah, which is pretty sad cause that was one of the MLK rewards but I missed it.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:30 am

Just had another crazy game: trailing by 12 with a minute and change left; some late-game heroics by Ben Gordon take the game to OT (he missed a buzzer-beating dunk by a fraction of a second); we got up by 7 and my opponent rages with a minute and a half left. Kinda funny they raged when I was in a much worse position than them. Ben finishes with 43 and 11 dimes... love this card. I benched Rose and play him at point guard.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:38 pm

Picked up the Grand Prize again. Unfortunately, as it cannot be auctioned, best I can do with it is 5000 MT or the Exchange. It's cents on the dollar either way, but I opted for the Exchange.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:33 pm

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:25 am

Does MyTEAM ever just become a drag for anyone else? I think this is the first week since launch that I simply just don't have the motivation to enter the locker codes (I typically do them every Saturday and then play with the new cards)... the mode is just becoming too unrealistic for me... idk.

Some ideas to spice it: lineup restrictions (like a constant thing [1 Opal/Dark Matter, 2 Pink Diamonds, etc]; not just randomly-decided ones for Limited), only realistic cards and no micro-transactions (this would make the good cards you get so much more special). Obviously we will never live in my fantasyland so none of this will happen, but still.

Edit: There were 14 codes for me to catch up on this week... wtf. No one must play this mode compared to MyCareer or something. 10 of the codes were within the last day.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:58 pm

I'm guessing it's still popular and profitable, to the point where they feel they can give the codes and some good content away to get people hooked and possibly buy packs. Whales are definitely still spending big, judging by the amount of top cards that make their way into the Auction House. I like your ideas, but as you alluded to, it's a tough sell for 2K because there's no way they're giving up recurrent revenue.

I've been playing quite a bit of the current season and working my way through NBA Domination. It's been refreshing to put aside MyCAREER and Pro-Am/Rec for the most part this year, and actually use the cards I've managed to collect in MyTEAM (all no money spent). The biggest drawback for me is that you can't swap out Agenda items for ones that are more suited to your tastes; I hate that we have no choice when an Agenda includes a goal related to online play. It'd be great if we had the opportunity to swap an Agenda item for one involving a mode we prefer. It may result in a tougher challenge, but at least it'd be more our speed.

I'd love to know what that hidden goal for 150,000 XP in the current season is. I looked up some YouTube videos, but it doesn't look like anyone has any answers, just speculation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 am

Andrew wrote:I'd love to know what that hidden goal for 150,000 XP in the current season is. I looked up some YouTube videos, but it doesn't look like anyone has any answers, just speculation.

What do you mean? Don't you just get XP from playing? I see the reward is Dark Matter JR Smith.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 pm

There's a goal on the Agenda worth the full 150,000 XP (basically allowing you to earn Dark Matter J.R. Smith immediately), but its name is in code and the actual task is likewise a mystery.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby crazytrain334 on Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 am

i see this hasnt been posted in in awhile im a my team player and loving this 4 week season and vince is nice plus the spotlights even tho tough you can mod the sliders to make it easier and doable but the cards you get for free are super bill russel is stupid he is basicly a cheat code also andrew is there away to mod the mt so we can open up packs constently i hear some chinese being able to cheat the mt and all they do is jus topen packs all day long
crazytrain334

Postby oTToReverSe on Sat May 29, 2021 10:48 am

I hope 2K changes their perspective on how MyTeam should be.

-Card's Rarity-

Card's rarity should be like the real NBA cards where there's a limit of specific cards you can get (1/500,1/99,1/1). This will motivate the players not just to have the best team but to collect cards. It also enhances the auction experience.

-Attributes and Badges-

Card's attributes should always have the same attributes regardless of the rarity. If there will be changes, the changes should be based on real-life player tendencies. The main changes should be on badges, like how many badges and how many HOFs. I don't like to see dark matter cards boosted all the attributes (Shaq can shoot 3s?!).

-VC should feel optional-

If 2K wants the NBA game franchise to be an MMORPG grinding-like game, it should feel like a F2P and not P2W. No one wants P2W (maybe some).

Better season rewards are the key, and getting more random packs for every completed task should do it. Because the enjoyment in this mode is not only derived from competing with each other but from the surprising elements of opening packs as well.

I hope NBA 2K redeem themselves. I want to hear Da_Czar voice again says "Don't play video games, play Basketball"
oTToReverSe

Postby Andrew on Sat May 29, 2021 1:46 pm

I disagree in regards to rarity. I think that's only going to encourage the already greedy recurrent revenue model utilised by MyTEAM, and with the amount of people playing NBA 2K21, it'd have to be a high number anyway to be fair. It'd also mean that people buying VC to buy packs would be at an even greater advantage of getting those rare cards. The economy of the Auction House is also kind of broken thanks to hacking on PC and MT resellers on all platforms, so I just don't think it can fairly support limited edition cards in its current state.

Unfortunately, I don't see 2K backing off their pushiness as far as microtransactions are concerned. To be fair, I've got some good cards without paying a cent and I've been enjoying the mode this year, but the pressure is still most definitely there. I completely agree with you on how it should be, but it's too profitable an approach for 2K and too many people are comfortable with it ("It's just how it is, now!"), so it'll take the bubble bursting on recurrent revenue mechanics for anything to change there. At this point, I'm not too hopeful of that.

I'm definitely with you on card attributes and Badges. The OP cards that don't reflect a player's true abilities disrupt competitive balance in gameplay, and are something else that's just done to drive revenue with a card that's desirable because it's so powerful (realism be damned). Once again though, I'm not optimistic that they'd move away from it since the idea seems to be too popular and accepted, and again, it makes them money. 2K have demonstrated that they'll sacrifice realism and quality of experience in favour of additional profit. Once again though, I'm completely with you here.

I also agree in regards to better Season rewards, and I think there's more of a chance that this could happen. From low MT payouts to unexciting rewards like Shoe and Badge packs, there are too many levels that just don't feel exciting or worthwhile hitting. At a certain point, Agenda items that are worth 100-200 XP aren't worth doing, because they don't make a big enough dent in the XP needed to hit the next level. And of course, there are a lot of Agenda items that are trying to push you to rip open pack after pack to get the required players. The Auction House is the intended alternative, but with the inflated prices and low MT payouts, it's not always viable either.

I've got a Monday Tip-Off article coming out about it, but I think one of the big things MyTEAM has to do moving forward is fix its economy and rewards system. The pushy approach with VC sadly isn't going to change anytime soon - at least I can't envision that happening - but the mode will at least be fun and fairer if those issues are addressed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat May 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Just when I thought I was done with this shitty mode, they go and add a Boris Diaw PG card...
[Hyperize]

Postby crazytrain334 on Mon May 31, 2021 8:56 am

Image And this is 100 percent no money spent with some pack luck iv pulled most of my cards which i have 3.4k of. Theres some iv not gotten yet but i prob could if i just buy them which i will eventually its not hard on pc to make mt or get good cards just some luck with either packing or buying the cards you want and i compete just fine online with this line up
crazytrain334

Postby Andrew on Mon May 31, 2021 2:38 pm

Dark Matter cards still elude me. Not sure if I'll end up getting that Trophy/Achievement this year.

I mentioned I had a forthcoming article on the broken economy in MyTEAM, and here it is: https://www.nba-live.com/mto-the-economics-of-myteam/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby crazytrain334 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:56 am

Andrew wrote:Dark Matter cards still elude me. Not sure if I'll end up getting that Trophy/Achievement this year.

I mentioned I had a forthcoming article on the broken economy in MyTEAM, and here it is: https://www.nba-live.com/mto-the-economics-of-myteam/

iv been rather lucky i mean hell i pulled ben simmons out of a challanage pack for free and sold him for 4million lol
crazytrain334

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:00 am

That is some incredibly good fortune indeed. Most of my best cards can't be auctioned, have plummeted in value (which is how I got some of them in the first place), or they're freebies from Locker Codes, so most people have got them already and aren't about to pay a lot of MT for them. I'll also admit to never being that good at working the Auction House as a seller.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby crazytrain334 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:04 am

Image so i just pulled this from mt singles andrew im on cloud 9 right now
crazytrain334

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K21