Thoughts on Shooting in NBA 2K21

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Thoughts on Shooting in NBA 2K21

Postby Andrew on Fri May 28, 2021 11:35 pm

So, the game has been out for several months on Current Gen consoles/PC and Next Gen consoles alike, which is plenty of time to form a definitive/final opinion. What's your take on shooting?

I'll admit that since they brought in stick aiming, I've been exclusively using the button again (though I have switched stick controls back to Timing; I've just gotten back into the habit of using the button). Personally, I don't think it was implemented well at all, especially on layups where you have to move the stick in a direction to control the shot, and then swing it back to aim it. I also believe there's an issue with timing on Next Gen, as interestingly layup timing was turned off by default in that version despite being a heavily touted feature. It makes me suspect that it was a bandaid fix for something that won't be acknowledged until the NBA 2K22 developer blogs start rolling out.

To me, stick aiming is a nice idea, but the notion that it creates a skill gap in a game that's heavily animation based is elitist nonsense. Fair play to you if you like it and have mastered it, but to me it's better in concept than execution. One only has to look at NBA Elite 11, or the some of the ridiculous shots people were making in the NBA 2K21 demo by mastering the aiming, to see how it's a flawed system.

Honestly, I still think NBA 2K17 had my favourite shooting mechanics to date.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K21