Alterations to Dribbling in NBA 2K21

Talk about NBA 2K21 here.

Alterations to Dribbling in NBA 2K21

Postby Andrew on Fri May 28, 2021 11:43 pm

Perhaps more than the new shooting system - which can at least be changed back to the old mechanics - the dribbling system in NBA 2K21 has been bugging me since launch on Current Gen and Next Gen. Obviously it's a very similar system to in years gone by, utilising the right stick, but there are a few subtle changes that I don't think have been for the best.

For example, in absolute controls, instead of simply moving the stick left or right to crossover left or right, it's up-right and up-left. It's a needlessly convoluted motion for the most basic move. Down/back on the stick used to be behind the back, which was quick and easy. Now it's stepback (which used to be Sprint + down/back), so behind the back dribbles use a rotation similar to NBA Live's controls that I've always thought were a bit clunky in that game.

Momentum has also been a problem, and the need to press the trigger to come to a stop feels like overkill when you're not at a full sprint to begin with. Some of the momentum shots are kind of weird as well. The fact that so many online users abuse the Curry slide also suggests that the current mechanics aren't quite polished enough. I was a much bigger than of the feel of dribbling in NBA 2K19, all things considered.

Anyway, just my take. I'd be interested to hear others' conclusions about the feel of dribbling after months with the game. It's hardly unplayable, but it's definitely not my favourite approach thus far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K21