NBA 2K22 preview season tip-off: screenshots and features

Talk about NBA 2K22 here.

NBA 2K22 preview season tip-off: screenshots and features

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:23 am

I guess not big surprise on how next gen 2K22 looks like, but gotta say I do like how Dirk looks there.

ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Re: NBA 2K22 preview season tip-off: screenshots and features

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 am

Full promo post: https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments ... s_preview/

Points by me:

• Gameplay Reveal Trailer planned for "later in August". More gameplay changes are to be announced along with it.
  • New signature moves and combos, precision jump shooting, dunking in traffic and alley oops are to be more skill based.
  • Revamped shot contest and blocking system.
  • Seasons are back in MyTeam, MyCareer and The W (next-gen). They are to bring "all new way to level up MyPlayer". More information in August.
  • MyTeam: Draft comes back.
  • New City (next-gen) and new Neighbourhood (current-gen).
  • New matchmaking options in City.
  • The Neighbourhood will be on a cruise ship with seasons being new docks.
  • More City/Neighbourhood news in early September.
  • Next-gen MyCareer will offer new "ventures" like hip-hop or fashion business.
  • Your home base will expand with MyCareer progress in City.
  • More MyCareer news in early September.
  • Teasing expansion of staff system in MyNBA/MyWNBA.
  • More MyNBA/MyWNBA news in early September.

So... Some tidbits, more news mainly in August (MyTeam, gameplay changes) and early September (City/Neighbourhood, MyCareer, MyNBA/MyWNBA).
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 pm

I'd say that's the best original face for Dirk that I've seen in a game. Both NBA 2K and NBA Live have struggled to get him right up to this point, but that's a great face.

Matchmaking of course caught my eye, as I've been advocating for that for a while. Of course, we'll see how well it works, and it's also sounding like it'll only be on Next Gen as part of The City, so Current Gen may well be left out in the cold there. It's promising for the next generation, though.

Seasons worked out quite well in MyTEAM, so I'm interested to see how they'll work in MyCAREER/The W, too. If they're worthwhile and offer suitable boosts via fun events that reduce the grind, that'll be a huge improvement. It's also sounding like they're doing away with the cinematic "prelude" MyCAREER story in Next Gen, while Current Gen still gets the more traditional story on rails with some token branching options. With the story playing out with some cutscenes according to your activities in The City, it does sound more like an attempt at an open world game; Grand Theft 2K, if you will.

Hopefully they bring MyCOURT back. Renting courts in the gym was ridiculous even at the low amount of VC it cost, and they always seemed to be empty. Getting rid of Rookieville was an excellent move, though I must disagree with the remarks that it was a good experiment. It was, as I said in an article, a terrible idea with issues that should have been foreseen. At least they're correcting course on that front, so good job on their part to not stubbornly stick with it even if they felt it was a good experiment.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Vlad2010 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm

New screenshot. Rui Hachimura
Vlad2010

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 pm

Dirk's face really looks good, even the haircut looks fine while i complained for years on this thing for caucasian players.
sticky-fingers

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:19 am

Andrew wrote:Seasons worked out quite well in MyTEAM, so I'm interested to see how they'll work in MyCAREER/The W, too. If they're worthwhile and offer suitable boosts via fun events that reduce the grind, that'll be a huge improvement. It's also sounding like they're doing away with the cinematic "prelude" MyCAREER story in Next Gen, while Current Gen still gets the more traditional story on rails with some token branching options. With the story playing out with some cutscenes according to your activities in The City, it does sound more like an attempt at an open world game; Grand Theft 2K, if you will.

Since that info came out after I made the post...

2 articles on the topic:
https://heavy.com/games/nba-2k22-luka-d ... -features/
https://www.ign.com/articles/nba-2k22-f ... 4-xbox-one

• More taxing stamina for high-effort dribble moves, contact dunks etc. Attempting to fix overdribbling and turboing everywhere.
  • More realistic injuries in MyNBA.
  • Rookieville is confirmed gonezo.
  • The City will have quest system and NPCs.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am

Balancing dribbling moves with stamina decreases is good in theory, but I can see it either being overdone and in need of tweaking post-release, or it'll be fine but "dribble gawds" are upset they can't spam moves anymore, leading to the devs caving in and going back on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:36 pm

Andrew wrote:Balancing dribbling moves with stamina decreases is good in theory, but I can see it either being overdone and in need of tweaking post-release, or it'll be fine but "dribble gawds" are upset they can't spam moves anymore, leading to the devs caving in and going back on it.

They shouldn't punish the dribbler with amount-based limiters, until they are really tired. NBA Live 19 does something like this, and it is annoying. Instead, if they are unable to break down the defender with the first few moves and continue to spam, boost the defenders ability temporarily as if they have increased confidence, by expanding the timing window for reacting to the dribblers moves, which if they do correctly can recover quickly, or force the dribbler to reset, pass, take a bad shot, pick up their dribble or turn it over. It would need to be on a cool down so they can't just reset immediately or get the ball right back to abuse it. There would also have to be a range between the ballhandler and defender for it to kick in, so that random dribbling far from defenders doesn't trigger the defensive boost.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 pm

I like it, that'd be a much better solution for fresh and tired players alike. Decreasing the likelihood of ankle breaker animations triggering the more that moves are spammed could also work if they'd rather penalise the ballhandler than boost the defender.

Mind you, either way you'd have cheesers complaining about it, so whatever solution they go with they need to stand firm on that direction.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:47 pm

This is so exciting. I've always dreamed of a basketball game that let me run a hip hop business.
fjccommish

Return to NBA 2K22