First Impressions of 2K22

Talk about NBA 2K22 here.

Re: First Impressions of 2K22

Postby BlazerGun1 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:44 am

sevin0seven wrote:Played NBA2K22 (PC) last night via Parsec (Thanks Dee4Three) and my first impressions seems to be "2K21.5" gameplay wise. I did noticed some new animations but that's about it. However all these positive comments about it made me scratch my head:

Read here: https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-2k21/bask ... t-creators
One YouTube review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5hE3cNH_I

...some are calling it; top 3 or 4 of 2K of all time...straight 2k16 vibes....2K17 level. :?: :!: :?:

maybe I need to play it more...or maybe all this comments relates to the console version (PS5, XBOX Series X..Switch)?

when we talking about gameplay it's pretty much the same from what I know in both versions.

sure the game got problems but saying it's top 4-5 isn't a stretch in my eyes - aside from 2k11, 2k16 and 2k17 there aren't many which you can consider really good 2k's in this day and age and we all know that the PS4 era kinda sucked aside from the early games they released.

2k22 isn't on the level of the classic 2k's but I would put it right under - definitely the best we got after those horrible years.
BlazerGun1

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:34 pm

BlazerGun1 wrote:when we talking about gameplay it's pretty much the same from what I know in both versions.

sure the game got problems but saying it's top 4-5 isn't a stretch in my eyes - aside from 2k11, 2k16 and 2k17 there aren't many which you can consider really good 2k's in this day and age and we all know that the PS4 era kinda sucked aside from the early games they released.

2k22 isn't on the level of the classic 2k's but I would put it right under - definitely the best we got after those horrible years.

I don't agree with this at all.

2K14 and 2K15 were really strong releases for 2K, and the gameplay was talked about fondly by the large majority of gamers. Those two games were received much better than some of the more recent titles. 2K16 and 2k17 were received very well.

NBA 2K12 and NBA 2K13 were also received incredibly well, and I find that both of them overall play a better game of basketball > 2K22. 2K9 and 2K10 were also strong releases.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby BlazerGun1 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
BlazerGun1 wrote:when we talking about gameplay it's pretty much the same from what I know in both versions.

I don't agree with this at all.

2K14 and 2K15 were really strong releases for 2K, and the gameplay was talked about fondly by the large majority of gamers. Those two games were received much better than some of the more recent titles. 2K16 and 2k17 were received very well.

NBA 2K12 and NBA 2K13 were also received incredibly well, and I find that both of them overall play a better game of basketball > 2K22. 2K9 and 2K10 were also strong releases.

I already talked about the early releases of next gen that were successful - but anything that came out after 2017 was pretty much garbage ( and 2k16 was really the only great game).

Im really not gonna talk about the older 2k's cause I think people tend to be too much nostalgic with those games and forget the problems they also had - not to mention the difference in graphics and gameplay between them and next gen - and the only game that holds up for me from back then is 2k11.

All the other things you mentioned are criticisms of the company ( which are true) but not of the gameplay and what we talking about - you don't really talk about what those problems are. So let me critic 2k22 for

Blocks are fun in this game but maybe they should bring it down a little to make it more realistic

Mismatch should matter more and I dont wanna see Damian Lillard being able to contest a 6'10+ Big, it's just not something that happens

Under the basket or post game should be better also cause if you make a big that cant shoot all you can do is hope that your PG knows how to alley

AI should be more responsive to situations and just be smarter.

Contesting is still kinda iffy in this game - even if you are kinda far from the shooter and you jump it will contest the shot even tho by all means it should be an open shot.

I might even have more and there are still probably little bugs in the game ( not that I personally noticed ) but it's still the best game of 2k I played in years.
BlazerGun1

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:50 am

So i took my time to share my impressions on this "new" game, made about 4 or 5 full games against the CPU to confirm (or not) my feelings on PC current gen.

PROS:
- new animations on dunks and blocks which make the game more credible
- AI in HoF is very challenging (but)
- Despite not being NG, graphics are IMO pretty good, 2K21 and now 2K22 has the best lighting (by default) on this current gen.
- PA
- 2k21 mods compatibility
- 2K21 controls are gone, fortunately, and the gameplay feels better (when you're not stucked between animations).
- Some new NG scans are in the game (including this terrible Longley...)

CONS :
- very small update of 2K21 in term of UI
- so the price is indecent
- somekind of input lag due to canned animations (specially when you try to steal the ball ; you push the button, your player bumps on the offensive player, then foul)
- (AI in HoF is very challenging) because even playing with RFG%, any contested shot means missing shot, even with GOATS players (this applies to me and the CPU). So you drive to the lane and or pickn roll...
- someking of invisible wall is back, its really hard to blow by your opponent in HoF despite having a faster player in transition
- Rotations are at times a mess : playing Man To Man, almost every game my SG leave the other SG WIDE open in the corner. You can enable all the options in the coaching menus, nothing changes...
- subsitutions during the timeouts are bugged (players disappears from the list)
- Of course, skating & sliding issue are still there
- But some new NG CFs arent in the game (like Petrovic)
- lot of VERY OLD textures are still used for arenas side objects (banners in 8bits, so classy), players (including LBJ)
sticky-fingers

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:51 pm

All the MyCareer parks are ugly this year. Last year, whichever one I was in was very classy with trees, park benches, and the courts were just normal graphic-free courts. I've already visited all four affiliations in 2K22 and all the courts are just overloaded with graphics and imagery and it's very ugly imo.

Oh yeah; and worst of all, last gen has very attractive sleek and clean courts on the boat decks.
[Hyperize]

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Bought the game the other day. I have 2K21 but didn't really play it much so 2k20 is my main frame of reference.

I like it. Only been playing the myNBA mode so far, but will probably check out myCareer and myTeam tomorrow. The gameplay is fun - playing on all-star while I learn the controls and it took a few games to start winning. The CPU plays fantastic defense. It can be really hard to score at times.

A big part of that is the shot meter... It's quite unforgiving and open shots that are in the window but aren't green don't tend to go in. I'm not a big fan of this as learning the shot releases can undermine the rest of the game, but it is what it is and I kinda like the corny flame effect when you get a green. After a little time in freestyle, it's not as much of a struggle.

The improved defense also makes the AI really easy to stop though. I have the worst offense in the league but a historically good defense through six games. Like every 2K ever, the CPU always gets a million offensive rebounds to keep things close. Good teams can put up points but bad to mediocre teams are just pathetic on offense. The Pistons were a joke. We'll see how it goes when I up the difficulty.

The franchise didn't see many improvements, which is fine since it's still better than all the other sports games. To anyone starting a myNBA file, be sure to turn off the G-League. For some reason it's filled with 90+ rated players. I'd expect this to be patched, but having a bunch of generic superstars in free agency is a no-go for me.

Playcalling is cumbersome and I've resorted to using auto-subs. Probably something that works fine once I learn how it works, but I usually just run random plays and hope for the best. Graphics are good and the soundtrack is chill.

So, definitely some gripes but overall the game is quite fun. I think a lot of the issues I have will be resolved via patches and me improving at the game.
Lamrock

Postby maumau78 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:So i took my time to share my impressions on this "new" game, made about 4 or 5 full games against the CPU to confirm (or not) my feelings on PC current gen.

PROS:
- new animations on dunks and blocks which make the game more credible
- AI in HoF is very challenging (but)
- Despite not being NG, graphics are IMO pretty good, 2K21 and now 2K22 has the best lighting (by default) on this current gen.
- PA
- 2k21 mods compatibility
- 2K21 controls are gone, fortunately, and the gameplay feels better (when you're not stucked between animations).
- Some new NG scans are in the game (including this terrible Longley...)

If I can I say...also new commentators are fresh air to 2K franchise.......
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goma76 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm

@maumau Ciao, have you bought the game? Post your impression also in "our" italian forum.
goma76

Postby maumau78 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:50 am

goma76 wrote:@maumau Ciao, have you bought the game? Post your impression also in "our" italian forum.

@goma76 yes

To be honest in just few words is a more polished and balanced release than 2k21.

I like shooting now and new animations.....worth the upgrade for me (Y)
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:47 am

To add to my previous post, I have found something called The Old Gym which is 3v3 matchmaking on a standard court... to my knowledge, this is the first time there's been something like this. This is where I'll live this year.
[Hyperize]

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:55 am

Next Gen Play Now:

Pleasantly surprised that the name of the mode is on point. They did minimize the amount of fluff and it's pretty much 99% game now.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Lamrock on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:03 am

I swear after 20 games I still can not hack it on offense. Can still beat bad teams because they can't score either but against good ones I don't have a chance. D'Angelo Russell is a gem in this game - he can actually beat guys off the dribble sometimes, has a nice shot and can hit floaters. Towns feasts off second chance points and Ben Simmons can exploit mismatches.

But the rest of the team? Useless. The shot meter is very unforgiving. Thought I'd made some strides after playing so many times and even using the freestyle mode but then I'll go and have a 1-16 night from 3 and almost lose to Houston. Plays usually result in either a turnover or the D closing in before anyone can get open. When there is an open shot either I green it or there's a 20% chance it goes in if I'm at least in the window. I'm at a complete loss as to how I should use Anthony Edwards, or any wing player for that matter. It's fun an I like that it's challenging, but it is frustrating to have a shooting percentage in the 30s every game.

Hopefully some good tutorial videos on how to run an offense come out soon because while my eyes glaze over when I watch them and I question why as a 28 year old I'm spending my time studying to get better at 2K, it's the only way I can figure it out. And I haven't even played against another user yet.

Anyway, myCareer is pretty silly. Same free to play nonsense turned up to 11. I don't hate the idea of a basketball open world - NBA Ballers: Phenom was awesome back in the day. But menus are way more efficient and most of the quests are just "walk or skateboard somewhere to watch an ad for a small amount of VC". Probably skipping this mode yet again.
Lamrock

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:35 pm

Enable offensive playcalling by CPU, it makes AI move around more (if you follow the play) and create opportunities.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Something on current gen that annoys me in HoF it that mostly any contested shot is barely a miss at least with RFG% for me or the CPU.
sticky-fingers

Postby maumau78 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 pm

Anyone else put the game speed down to 45?
Isn't 50 a little too fast?
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:23 pm

ThePointForward wrote:Enable offensive playcalling by CPU, it makes AI move around more (if you follow the play) and create opportunities.

This. I do it every year.

And I still run plays, but it is a good option to fall back on.

Also, quick plays and positional playcalling is king. Run shooters off of quick screens by using the receive screen quick play, post up mismatches using the positional play call followed by selecting post up, run high post and alley-oop plays, etc

High screen and roll or pop works great, or shoot or drive right off the screen.

And if you have a good ball handler and are not on an elite defender. Call for an ISO at times and cross him over.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 pm

maumau78 wrote:Anyone else put the game speed down to 45?
Isn't 50 a little too fast?

I tried this on next gen last night, and it seemed to cut down on the sliding feel a bit (on next gen)

For PC, I will be releasing sliders soon that I feel gives the game a better balance and pace player movement wise. That one I have game speed at 50 but messed with the player movement sliders at the bottom of the slider choices, and acceleration.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby maumau78 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:19 am

Dee4Three wrote:I tried this on next gen last night, and it seemed to cut down on the sliding feel a bit (on next gen)

That one.

I have the same feeling....game at 46-48 make players sliding feel lower.....
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lamrock on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:54 am

ThePointForward wrote:Enable offensive playcalling by CPU, it makes AI move around more (if you follow the play) and create opportunities.

Thanks for that. Helped a ton. Anthony Edwards and Eric Gordon instantly became good players. I had a few money plays that I would always set in 2K20 but with how cumbersome manual playcalling is now, this is way better. Still gotta work on shot releases and not turning the ball over, but my offense is competent now!
Lamrock

Postby vakouftsis on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:54 pm

Current generation pc
Best 2k game ever , gameplay wise..
Minor problems some glitches in defending and the fact you get no injuries at all even in simulated games even if you set durability to 0 and injuries sliders to 100 which cuts down reality-based in myleague..this problem we had In 2k21 and 2k20.
vakouftsis

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Lamrock wrote:

Thanks for that. Helped a ton. Anthony Edwards and Eric Gordon instantly became good players. I had a few money plays that I would always set in 2K20 but with how cumbersome manual playcalling is now, this is way better. Still gotta work on shot releases and not turning the ball over, but my offense is competent now!

I'd also suggest turning on playvision for all plays if you haven't already.
AI sometimes kinda gets stuck if you're in single player control mode and do not follow the plan.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 pm

Lamrock wrote:I don't hate the idea of a basketball open world - NBA Ballers: Phenom was awesome back in the day. But menus are way more efficient and most of the quests are just "walk or skateboard somewhere to watch an ad for a small amount of VC". Probably skipping this mode yet again.

Did Ballers have an open world? I don't recall that.

But I agree with you entirely; for some reason it just doesn't work. The City is still too big and traversal is too slow. How do you solve this? Enable fast travel; everyone wins then.

The top tier reward is a penthouse in the middle of the City with zip-lines going to any court. The interior of the penthouse is boring and absolutely useless, and the zip-line sorta looks cool but it would honestly make me feel empty inside grinding for it -- totally not worth it.

Edit: I think it was 2K19 and 20 that the "Neighborhood" was just buildings in a rectangle around the park? That was perfect, and is all that was needed for a basketball game. It's bizarre that they went from 2K18's cumbersome Neighborhood to minimizing it in those two games, and now they're back to a monstrosity again. All the courts are ugly anyway and my experience in the City is just trekking from the Vipers courts to the 3v3 matchmaking gym cause I can't change affiliations to something closer until the next "season" begins.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:13 pm

That's correct. The Neighborhood in NBA 2K19 and NBA 2K20 was essentially a quadrangle surrounding the Playground courts, with some back alleys.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby gyozalee on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:53 pm

i'm surprised only 1 person mentioned new commentaries, which is a great welcome

but i have another surprise that Hall of Fame isn't that hard this year.

am I the only one who feel this way? or am I getting better in gaming, which I highly doubt :lol:
gyozalee

Postby KyotoCarl on Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 am

TGsoGood wrote:just waiting on broadcast cam for myNBA in current gen. Gameplay is pretty good in my opinon.
Also love how the half time studio and some of the environments look

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I find it amazing that replays and the half-time show is STILL not 60fps. Not even on next gen hardware.
KyotoCarl

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K22