Alley-Oop & Aggressive Dunk Meters (PS5/XSX)

Talk about NBA 2K22 here.

Are you a fan of the meters on alley-oops and aggressive dunk attempts?

No
100%
Yes
No votes

Total votes : 1

Alley-Oop & Aggressive Dunk Meters (PS5/XSX)

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:06 pm

Is anyone a fan of this mechanic, introduced in the PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X version of NBA 2K22? For those who unaware, lobs now have a meter to successfully complete the finish, and down (absolute)/back (camera relative) on the right stick performs an aggressive dunk attempt that also utilises a meter.

Personally, it's another misfire for me, just as shot aiming was in NBA 2K21. It's not that it's impossible to master, just unnecessary. As far as being an attempt at creating that elusive "skill gap", it's little more than a glorified Quick Time Event. Given the speed at which lobs and dunk animations occur, it results in more misses than it should. I can't imagine trying to play with it online, with lag involved.

To me, it feels like another change for change's sake; a matter of "we need something new for the controls this year", and thus they ended up trying to fix what isn't broken. I haven't seen too many people with positive things to say about it, so I'm guessing I'm in the majority. Still, I'd be interested to see if anyone does actually like it. Apart from that, I'd just like to put it out there that I don't think it's a great idea, and would love to see the back of it in NBA 2K23.

If nothing else, I'd suggest that it should be a control option that we can toggle, at least in offline play. It still wouldn't be great to enforce the mechanic in online play, but how someone chooses to play offline is no one else's problem, and it's vital that offline gamers have a good level of customisation so that they can tailor NBA 2K to have the most enjoyable experience possible.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K22