How do you rate NBA 2K22 Next Gen? (PS5/XSX)

Talk about NBA 2K22 here.

What score do you give the Next Gen (PS5/XSX) version of NBA 2K22?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
33%
67%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 3

How do you rate NBA 2K22 Next Gen? (PS5/XSX)

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:59 pm

On a scale of one to ten, how do you rate the Next Gen version of NBA 2K22, now that it's been out for over six months and is basically in its final state following a series of patches, major and minor? What's your ultimate take on the game?

Much like the Current Gen release, I haven't been moved to play NBA 2K22 that much on PlayStation 5. It's not a disaster of a game, but again, I'm underwhelmed. NBA 2K21 and NBA 2K22 are supposedly "built from the ground up" compared to Current Gen, but there are many legacy issues that have just become too off-putting. There's also a sluggishness to the gameplay that has brought back the "running in mud" feel of some of the lesser entries in the NBA 2K series. It's not stiff like the eighth generation NBA Live games, but it doesn't feel right. The addition of the alley-oop and aggressive dunk meters, with no ability to turn them off, was a bad move.

Although what I've seen of the MyCAREER story doesn't appeal to me at all this year, the mode still has tremendous depth, as does MyTEAM. I'm weary of the grind though, so I haven't been able to get into either mode. I was hoping to start a MyNBA game with the Bulls, and I absolutely love the depth of that mode, legacy issues not withstanding. However, I'm not feeling the gameplay, so that dampened my enthusiasm for returning to my roots as a franchise gamer; at least in NBA 2K22.

Generally speaking, I feel the same about the Next Gen version of NBA 2K22 as I do about the Current Gen release. In a way it's more disappointing, as it's obviously the top priority, and expectations are higher. Again, I'll give it a five because it's not a complete flop that I couldn't see anyone enjoying. I just can't get into it myself, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: How do you rate NBA 2K22 Next Gen? (PS5/XSX)

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:18 am

I'll let you know in a bit :)

bought an X Box S just for 2k

so apparently I'm much more excited than you about the game overall, but it's maybe because I hadn't played it at all for like 3 years

wanted the X Box for 2k23 and figured why not already buy it then
Raps in 4

Re: How do you rate NBA 2K22 Next Gen? (PS5/XSX)

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:31 pm

I'd definitely be interested to hear your thoughts! Mine come from a place of burnout and frustration with certain legacy issues, and while I believe they're fairly reasoned, they're not necessarily going to reflect everyone's experience. Hopefully yours is more positive, as basketball gaming is supposed to be fun and enjoyable at the end of the day.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K22