Trying to change defense chants in NBA 2K22 PC

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K22 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Trying to change defense chants in NBA 2K22 PC

Postby Andaresin on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:17 pm

If anyone could help me or direct me in the right direction to change the defense chants and arena sounds. For example for the Lakers defense chant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ETMGfdjuDE , this specific one plays rarely in NBA 2K22 it only plays at the beginning of a quarter on the other teams possession and it should be played more often. Please help anyone, I want to learn how to change this, if anyone could help I would APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH!
Andaresin

Re: Trying to change defense chants in NBA 2K22 PC

Postby vetmin on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm

I don't believe that there is any way to use custom audio under "eventmusic". Any time I've tried to hook such audio, all I get is silence.
vetmin

Postby Andaresin on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm

vetmin wrote:I don't believe that there is any way to use custom audio under "eventmusic". Any time I've tried to hook such audio, all I get is silence.

That same audio in the link they have in the actual game but it's not played often, if you can please show me how to open the audio files or to get to place where I am able to make changes. I think maybe if you find the event music that matches that one in the link you can use that to replace other ones, without downloading any extra audios.
Andaresin

Postby Andaresin on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm

vetmin wrote:I don't believe that there is any way to use custom audio under "eventmusic". Any time I've tried to hook such audio, all I get is silence.

That same audio in the link they have in the actual game but it's not played often, if you can please show me how to open the audio files or to get to place where I am able to make changes. I think maybe if you find the event music that matches that one in the link you can use that to replace other ones, without downloading any extra audios.
Andaresin

Postby vetmin on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Andaresin wrote:

I actually tried something similar and it was still silent. I exported the opening music that plays when they're showing the video of the city you're playing in (the electric guitar solo thing), then I stuck that exact exported file into the mod folder (under the appropriate subfolder, like /eventmusic/etc.) and the game literally would not play back its own exported audio via the hook. I did this precisely to check whether the silence had to do with how I was exporting audio in Audacity, or if I was just going to be screwed no matter what I did with the audio. Turns out I was just screwed.

I'm very happy you made this thread though, because I'd love for someone to swoop in with a solution, but I've brought this up here and there in different threads and no one has ever suggested anything. I don't think it's possible.
vetmin

Postby Andaresin on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:53 pm

vetmin wrote:
Andaresin wrote:

I actually tried something similar and it was still silent. I exported the opening music that plays when they're showing the video of the city you're playing in (the electric guitar solo thing), then I stuck that exact exported file into the mod folder (under the appropriate subfolder, like /eventmusic/etc.) and the game literally would not play back its own exported audio via the hook. I did this precisely to check whether the silence had to do with how I was exporting audio in Audacity, or if I was just going to be screwed no matter what I did with the audio. Turns out I was just screwed.

I'm very happy you made this thread though, because I'd love for someone to swoop in with a solution, but I've brought this up here and there in different threads and no one has ever suggested anything. I don't think it's possible.

Yea we wouldn't have to do this but 2K hasn't updated their arena sounds for like a decade. 2K has so much potential and I'm grateful that the modding community in 2K is releasing that potential and making the game better. If you can, how'd you go into the files that's what I'm trying to do. I want to do the same thing you did and maybe see if it works for me, I really want to know how to do it or possibly find a fix.
Andaresin

Postby Andaresin on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:53 pm

vetmin wrote:
Andaresin wrote:

Yea we wouldn't have to do this but 2K hasn't updated their arena sounds for like a decade. 2K has so much potential and I'm grateful that the modding community in 2K is releasing that potential and making the game better. If you can, how'd you go into the files that's what I'm trying to do. I want to do the same thing you did and maybe see if it works for me, I really want to know how to do it or possibly find a fix.
Andaresin

Postby vetmin on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:23 am

Andaresin wrote:
vetmin wrote:
Andaresin wrote:

If you mean literally how does one extract files from the game, you use the Export Console: https://www.shuajota.com/2021/05/nba-2k ... e-v12.html (it says 2k21, but it's compatible with 2k22, too). You can see the directory of files in the "manifest" file in your game folder (i.e., the one that has NBA2K22.exe). Just open the manifest in NotePad++. See looyh's thread for how to use the Hook: viewtopic.php?f=272&t=112894

I don't have any special insight to how chants in particular are organized file-wise, though my sense is that it's pretty undifferentiated and that you'd have to rely more on the File Log in the Hook (i.e., exporting the audio that loads anywhere leading up to the chant happening, which is a pretty annoying process since chants don't reliably happen at a given time and a lot of times arena assets are loading well before the game actually calls them).

If you wanna try it with the guitar music that reliably happens at the beginning of almost every game though, that audio is:

newaudio/eventmusic/003964-000000-000000-000000-000000-000000.wav
vetmin

Return to NBA 2K22 Modding