Beginner Modding Questions

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K22 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Beginner Modding Questions

Postby JLove on Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 am

I'm interested in perhaps learning to mod NBA 2k for some specific things, and I've got a few basic questions about the mod creation process. First, what programming language are the mods written in? Can I write mod code in a standard IDE like VSCode, or do I have to use some specialized software to create mods? I attempted to find this information on Google and Youtube, but all of the videos I found discussed downloading and installing already created mods, not the process of actually creating them.

Respectfully,
JLove
JLove

Re: Beginner Modding Questions

Postby vetmin on Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 am

Most 2K modders are simply using looyh’s Hook to replace default assets (images, audio, 3d models, etc.) with custom ones, so for the most part the mod creation process is an artistic one, rather than involving any programming. Some mods, like my social media mod, alter game data files via hex editing, but they are implemented the same way as graphical mods (i.e., using the Hook to replace the default file). Of course, looyh’s Hook and related plug-ins involve some programming (lua, I think), so you can open those and check them out.
vetmin

Return to NBA 2K22 Modding