INTRO MUSIC MOD - UPDATE V2 - TNT/ESPN/NBC/Bally/RETRO Network Music

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K22 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

INTRO MUSIC MOD - UPDATE V2 - TNT/ESPN/NBC/Bally/RETRO Network Music

Postby Adamb34n on Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:03 pm

After years of limited modding capability concerning eventmusic files in 2K, I finally discovered a work around that allows you to enjoy TV Network music during the introduction presentations of quick games and MyLeague games!

3/7/22: NEW INSTALLATION ISNTRUCTIONS INCLUDED ON BOTTOM OF POST!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction:
This is going to be a long one, but I really wanted to try and explain as much as I can!

As we know, jukebox files can be modded in and utilized via Looyh's hook, but other than that getting any eventmusic file to play using the same method does not work. As a community, this has been a huge roadblock to getting some more custom music/presentation into the game. Unfortunately, this method does not involve replacing the eventmusic files as it is still a mystery on how to accomplish that at this point in time. I know many members in the community have spent countless hours trying different methods, and that is also true for myself (lots and lots of nights spent trying to find a solution!). The other night I found out where the voice/music combo that plays during the initial introduction of many games, accompanied by the animetedsting.iff. There have been a few mods that have swapped out the default graphic that plays in this file, instead using the team matchup over the 2k logo. The voice/music that accompanies this graphic is in global.iff. This sfx file included in the global.iff (sfx-nba-animationsting_01.RESA) IS replaceable. The opening intro only goes for about 13 seconds, so I figured that was at least something and better than nothing. One of the music files that I was going to swap out the voiceover/music intro with was accidently left at full length (45 seconds), and when testing it - continued to play throughout the entire opening presentation before tip-off, even after the 13 second animatedsting!

So after that discovery, we now have a way to get full intro music into the game that you would commonly see in a TV broadcast!

Important Info/Explanation:

This method involves replacing the voiceover/2k music sfx located in the global.iff, AS WELL AS another solution involving replacing the "start game" button sound effect that plays when the option to continue to the game appears after the game is finished loading during the 2kTV segment. This file is also in the global.iff (menu-start-game_01.RESA).

2K22 has a variety of opening intros - sometimes the opening animatedsting will play, other times it goes right into other presentation elements. There really isn't any rhyme or reason as to when what intro is going to play, but I noticed that in MyLeague games when the matchup is designated as 'National TV', you will almost always get the animatedsting intro. Of course, without a guarantee that you'll get the intro I immediately started to look at other sound effects that could be replaced during the 2KTV segment that appears before games - so that there was an all-around way to get your choice of music into the game no matter the designation. I found the sfx file that plays when the "Continue" to game button appears (listed above as menu-start-game_01.RESA), and now we have a 100% foolproof method that will guarantee intro music in any game you want. For all intensive purposes, I created two versions of every theme - one to play when the game is ready to enter during the 2KTV segment, and another that plays when the animatedsting intro video is guaranteed to come on.

EDIT: As of 3/7/22, I have elected to exclusively use the method that plays the theme music when the game is finished loading during the 2K TV segment. This clears up confusion and ensures that the network music of choice will play every game.

There are other presentation elements during pre-game that will play music - so I worked to replace any of those files with silence to ensure that the only music you get is your selected theme.

These files include -
003797-000000-000000-000000-000000-000000.wav: Commonly plays when players are in the tunnels and locker rooms before the game.

teasermusic_aleksjameskairo_legendarygen4.iff, teasermusic_kairo_wayupgen4.iff: Pre-Game hype videos that sometimes play, containing audio.

nat_anthem_usa_ll.wav: I found that it really did conflict with the theme music when it comes up, but of course this can be left un-muted as well! All personal preference.

Although eventmusic can't be substituted, if it IS replaced it plays back nothing, so that actually was useful for this workaround.

Mod Folder Name Designations:

In the files I have made available, there will be two distinct designations at the end of the Mod folder title (which brings me to say that I made a separate mod folder for each theme).

These are -

Regular: Activate the mod folder with this designation when you want your selected theme to play during any game you enter. This is the only way it is 100% guaranteed to play. It has also become my preferred method. The music will start the second the game is ready to enter, so be sure to hit continue! You also can't go into the edit line-up screen before the game is loaded if you want your network theme to play, so keep that in mind!
NOTE - The animatedsting intro WILL play sometimes, so I have replaced the sfx connected to that graphic with silence in these specific files.

EDIT: As of 3/7/22, I have elected to exclusively use the method that plays the theme music when the game is finished loading during the 2K TV segment. This clears up confusion and ensures that the network music of choice will play every game. The information about the 'NatTV' folder designation below does not apply to future mod pack updates! There is also a new mod pack structure.

NatTV: Activate the mod folder with this designation when you only want your selected theme to play if the aniamatedsting intro plays - usually only during national TV MyLeague matchups (It can also appear randomly, but not often I have found).

You can rename the mod folders to whatever you want, mine are a little long-winded but I wanted to make it very clear what each intro theme was, as well as the designation.

Current Problems/Conflicts:
To be honest, the music plays and usually doesn't interfere AT ALL with most introduction scenes. That being said, there are a few instances where you are going to find some conflicts, as well as the theme running past tip-off.

These are -

Player Introductions: If this comes up before your game, it is going to sound a little disjointed and unrealistic. You can always skip through these straight into the game introduction.

Classic Team Match-Ups: These games usually cut right to tip-off with no formal introduction. So, the music file will play well into the start of actual gameplay. This can be worked around if the classic team replaces a current team in a custom roster.

Human Interference: If you rapidly click through the pre game presentation scenes, the music file will play ALL THE WAY through, probably past tip-off. There is no way to get this file to stop since it is being used in an unconventional manner. If you want the full effect, I would let everything play through but you can manipulate and skip some scenes. I wouldn't skip every single one!

There could also be the potential for the music files to play when you aren't intending them to. 2K re-uses a great deal of their sound effects for different things, so I'm hoping this doesn't interfere with anything mundane that I didn't notice in my testing

Final Remarks:
Most music files are 40-45 seconds long. They WILL play all the way through so like I mentioned above in potential conflicts, don't skip over everything right to the tip-off! if you let it be, it should come to a natural conclusion and I have to say, it really works well. I spent hours (and I mean hours) testing different themes and their sound levels, so I think I got all of them at a pretty good point. Please let me know if the volume levels on any of the files could use tweaking! I really hope people find these modifications effective, and as always if any improvements should be made leave a reply! Tell me how they are and maybe if this is finally an effective way to include network music themes into NBA 2k22, we are all in business! This isn't a perfect solution, but I think it does the job as intended.

I will probably end up posting a tutorial/walk through at some point if it is wanted, but I do know there are many of you that already probably have a good idea on how to edit the game files to import your own themes into the game after reading through this. I found that sfx files WILL play until the end, if modded past the conventional allocated time it was meant for. Perhaps we can find and manipulate some sfx files that play in between quarters, or during halftime that could help us get more network music into the game. This was a long and tedious process, so there could be a problem or two with any of the files that I simply didn't notice, so give them some testing. If anyone wants to give this a go, the more the merrier when it comes to custom presentation! I really wanted to continue the discussion regarding eventmusic files and perhaps eventually this workaround will not be needed when we can figure out how to hook eventmusic files.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT:

Since the global.iff file is loaded when you initially launch the game, you have to restart the game if you select a different mod folder with a different theme for it to fully take effect. Unless this isn't the case or there is a workaround, please let me know!

IMPORTANT:

I found that turning the crowd down to <50, as well as the PA to <50, led to a better mix of audio when it cuts to the stadium. I have been using this as my custom pre-set for sound levels in the options menu and switching it over to the 'TV Broadcast' pre-set when the game starts.

Video Examples:
UPDATED 3/7/22

Network Music Intro Examples (These are just a few of the many choices):

phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
phpBB [video]

DOWNLOAD LINK:

V2 RELEASED 3/7/22

ESPN Regular Season (multiple versions over the years!), ESPN playoffs (multiple versions over the years!), ESPN Finals, ESPN Christmas, TNT, NBC Sports local broadcasts (old and new versions!), and finally a retro NBA on NBC theme.

NEW in V2: Bally Sports, Fox, ESPN 2003-2006, TNT Retro

Please look through the readme.txt after downloading for other specifics, including links that go with each Mod folder theme. It also includes installation instructions and update notes.

Future updates to the audio files will come - There are bound to be some audio levels that need tweaking and some quality improvements, but I think they are all in a good state for now.

DOWNLOAD HERE FULL MOD PACK V2
https://forums.nba-live.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=13126

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

Please read through each method below and decide which applies to you.

METHOD 1 (Use if you don't have a custom global.iff file for other game modifications):

1. Go into the REQUIRED MOD FOLDER FILES folder and copy and paste those files into your MAIN Mod Folder.

2. Go into the Network Folder, and version of theme (if applicable) that you want to use, and copy the Mod_ folder into your NBA 2k22 directory. You can copy all of them and rotate as you see fit using Looyh's hook.

3. IF you only use one mod folder, just copy the global.iff file in the Mod_ folder and paste it into your base mod folder for the game and disregard step 2 of this method.

4. You should be good to go!

METHOD 2 (Use if you ALREADY HAVE a custom global.iff file for other existing game modifications):

1. Go into the REQUIRED MOD FOLDER FILES folder and copy and paste those files into your MAIN Mod Folder.

2. Go into the Network Folder, and version of theme (if applicable) that you want to use, and go into the Resa folder.

3. Locate where your existing custom global.iff is (In your Mod directory), and open it up via archive - I use 7-Zip.

4. Go back to the Resa folder for the theme you want to use, and drag and drop the 'menu-start-game_01.RESA' file into your custom global that is opened in 7-Zip.
Make sure you confirm when the pop-up asks if you want to replace the default file.

5. You are done! You should now have your selected network theme music in the game after you restart NBA 2K22 as long as your modified global.iff file is in an activated, or base Mod Foler.

6. If you want to make custom variations of your global.iff, simply make copies of the global.iff you intend to use and repeat steps 1-5 above to have different
network theme music variations ready to go!

Credit to Vetmin for explaining this process and improving my understanding! Makes the process easier for everyone involved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CREDITS

These users/forums were helpful in my discoveries

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=112894 (Looyh's Hook)

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=258&t=109336 (Looyh's Music Converter)

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=113548&p=2059302&hilit=eventmusic#p2059302 (VETMIN's thread on replacing the pre-game hype video music!)

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=113117&p=2059329&hilit=sfx#p2059329 (VETMIN's thread where the intro music/voiceover was found!)
Last edited by Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adamb34n

Re: INTRO MUSIC MOD - HUGE FIND/WORKAROUND! - TNT/ESPN/NBC Network Themes

Postby vincemeister55 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:20 pm

WOW! Just wow!
vincemeister55

Postby Uncle Drew on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:28 pm

This is awesome !! Great job on creating this. :100:
Uncle Drew

Postby vincemeister55 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:55 pm

How about the theme for Bally Sports? I just tested the ESPN, works great.

Thanks man!
vincemeister55

Postby vetmin on Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:42 pm

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but just judging from the thread: Excellent work and props for thinking of such clever workarounds. As you note, thanks to Mahmood in that thread we knew where that animatedsting RESA file was, but I love your additional ideas re: changing the 2KTV button sounds so that they bleed over. I hadn't even realized that there was a dedicated button sound for that interface.

By the way, re: the animatedsting RESA file in global.iff, I tried inserting my own RESA audio there and got only silence. I'm pretty sure I used the same method I describe in my thread for TeaserMusic (i.e., use looyh's converter to change an MP3 to WAV, then rename the extension to RESA, with of course the correct filename as well). Is that what you did too? Or is there a different method for that RESA file (and others in global.iff)? It's totally possible that I mindlessly did something stupid during my own process, but I don't think so...

Player Introductions: If this comes up before your game, it is going to sound a little disjointed and unrealistic. You can always skip through these straight into the game introduction.

What's funny is that that's not actually unrealistic. I've noticed that a lot of times (at least on the feeds available through League Pass), the volume levels between the arena sound and the broadcast sound are practically the same, so you're watching the game hearing the arena speakers playing "Crazy Train" at the same volume as the TNT theme, and it's chaotic and weird, but hey... that means that when that happens in your mod, it's realistic! :wink:

Props again for the excellent work.

EDIT: Also mega props for taking the time to explain everything. I know from my own threads how much effort it takes, and sometimes I feel like people might see the wall of text and groan, but at least on my end, it's super super appreciated. Threads where people take the time to explain — then tinkering on my own from there — are like 99% of the way I've learned how to do anything. Very helpful what you've put together here.
vetmin

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:07 am

Uncle Drew wrote:This is awesome !! Great job on creating this. :100:

Thank you!

vincemeister55 wrote:How about the theme for Bally Sports? I just tested the ESPN, works great.

Thanks man!

Glad it is working!

I am going to push a second update this week that includes Bally Sports!
Adamb34n

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 am

vetmin wrote:I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but just judging from the thread: Excellent work and props for thinking of such clever workarounds. As you note, thanks to Mahmood in that thread we knew where that animatedsting RESA file was, but I love your additional ideas re: changing the 2KTV button sounds so that they bleed over. I hadn't even realized that there was a dedicated button sound for that interface.

Yes, all the props to Mahmood for figuring out where that file is!

I didn't realize that there were dedicated button sounds in that interface either, but after some thinking (and searching... and more searching), I knew there had to be one and thankfully it really worked out for this find.

vetmin wrote:By the way, re: the animatedsting RESA file in global.iff, I tried inserting my own RESA audio there and got only silence. I'm pretty sure I used the same method I describe in my thread for TeaserMusic (i.e., use looyh's converter to change an MP3 to WAV, then rename the extension to RESA, with of course the correct filename as well). Is that what you did too? Or is there a different method for that RESA file (and others in global.iff)? It's totally possible that I mindlessly did something stupid during my own process, but I don't think so...

That is odd - I used your method for the RESA files and I did get them to play. I didn't use a different method in this instance. Maybe give it another go when you have some free time? Could have been a simple mistake in that process - as we both know it is tedious and can get annoying!

vetmin wrote:EDIT: Also mega props for taking the time to explain everything. I know from my own threads how much effort it takes, and sometimes I feel like people might see the wall of text and groan, but at least on my end, it's super super appreciated. Threads where people take the time to explain — then tinkering on my own from there — are like 99% of the way I've learned how to do anything. Very helpful what you've put together here.

Of course! I know it is definitely a good amount of information at once, but I wanted to do my best at explaining my thinking and the entire process. Like you said, the only reason why I even was attempting any of this is because of other related threads, including some that you have posted - so major thanks for that!
Adamb34n

Postby buddaking on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:49 am

This is amazing. Big thanks :fire:

I see that you plan on making a bally sport theme. I will wait on that since that the only scoreboard i use in the game.
buddaking

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:09 am

Great post.
Any chance you could post the audio format/parameters you used for the RESA files ?
sticky-fingers

Postby USMarineSoldier on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:18 am

Thank you!!!!!! For figuring this out I been hoping for this for many years. I been trying to figure out the installation process for the passed hour I can't figure it out. During the intro I get silence. I put sfx-nba-animationsting_01.RESA and sfx-nba-animationsting_01.wav into my global. I put the Gameplay and new audio folder in the MODs folder. I put teasermusic_aleksjameskairo_legendarygen4.iff and teasermusic_kairo_wayupgen4.iff also in the Mods folder. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. So excited about hear the NBA on NBC theme once again!!!! Crossing my fingers for MSG and YES newtork themes in the future. Once again thank you thank you and thank you.
USMarineSoldier

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:57 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Great post.
Any chance you could post the audio format/parameters you used for the RESA files ?

Thanks!

By the audio format/parameters, are you referring to the process where I took the original audio file I wanted to use and converted it into the RESA format? Or do you mean the audio details (like hz, or length) that show when you edit the file (I used audacity) in the audio editor?
Adamb34n

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:14 am

USMarineSoldier wrote:Thank you!!!!!! For figuring this out I been hoping for this for many years. I been trying to figure out the installation process for the passed hour I can't figure it out. During the intro I get silence. I put sfx-nba-animationsting_01.RESA and sfx-nba-animationsting_01.wav into my global. I put the Gameplay and new audio folder in the MODs folder. I put teasermusic_aleksjameskairo_legendarygen4.iff and teasermusic_kairo_wayupgen4.iff also in the Mods folder. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. So excited about hear the NBA on NBC theme once again!!!! Crossing my fingers for MSG and YES newtork themes in the future. Once again thank you thank you and thank you.

In the Mod Pack folder, I put each network theme (along with the other necessary modded files needed for the presentation to work as intended) in separate Mod folders that you just drag into your NBA 2k22 folder directory. These start with 'Mod_'. If you are using Looyh's hook, you are able to have as many 'Mod_' folders as you want and within the hook GUI you are able to toggle which Mod folders you want to be active at any given point.

I think you went a step or two too far and tried to break up some of the files to insert into the general Mod folder and global.iff separately. Of course, I can see where different people may have other edits in their global.iff file and they wouldn't want to overwrite those by using the globals I included - with that said I am going to do some testing to see if you can have multiple global.iff files activated, with different aspects in each all working as intended. If I were you, I would try to just drag one of the 'Mod_' folders (in your case the NBA on NBC one) into your NBA 2k22 directory, activate the mod within the hook, and then restart the game for it to take effect. If you want it to just be present in your base Mod folder and don't intend to utilize the functions of Looyh's hook, I would open the 'Mod_' of choice and just drag the contents over into your base Mod folder and see if that works, which it should.

I'll also point out again that if you use a Mod folder with the 'NatTV' distinction at the end of the folder name, the music will only play in certain circumstances where a specific intro occurs. I think the best solution is to use the Mod folder with the 'Regular' distinction at the end of the folder name so the music is guaranteed to play no matter the match-up!

Let me know how if that is a solution that works for you!

EDIT: I should also point out that the sfx-nba-animationsting_01.wav, not RESA, file that is in some of the globals doesn't do anything when it comes to playing the music. I think I accidently left that in there when creating some of the themes.

EDIT 2: Please see the new installation instructions! I was initially unaware of some conflicts that could arise and I think that is what you were experiencing, so my mistake! If you download V2 of the Mod Pack and follow those new instructions in the first post of this thread you should be in business.
Last edited by Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamb34n

Postby Uncle Drew on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:32 am

So just drop whatever files you want to use in the mods folder, and I'm good to go? No need to edit anything in 2Ktools ?
Uncle Drew

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:04 am

Uncle Drew wrote:So just drop whatever files you want to use in the mods folder, and I'm good to go? No need to edit anything in 2Ktools ?

Yes, you can either drag over any of the Mod_ folders from the Mod Pack into your NBA 2k22 directory that you want to use (If utilizing Looyh's Hook so you can easily swap out different mod folders), or you can open one of the Mod_ folders from the mod pack and copy the entire contents of the folder into your base Mods folder. Either should work!

Edit: Please see the new installation instructions! Hopefully this makes it more clear on whether you should use one method or the other to install the audio into the game. Let me know how they work!
Last edited by Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamb34n

Postby vincemeister55 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:42 am

To those who have custom globals and rely on just drag and drop, be aware that Adamb34n's globals differ with each version. Meaning, not all files that he edited are the same in each version. Thats the reason for the silence some people are experiencing.
vincemeister55

Postby KramNaj on Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:44 am

thank you very much! this is a game changer. I hope you could add old school intros, too (Y) (Y) :100: :100: :100: :100: :100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLFnVPqyLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdj6ynQwuSM
KramNaj

Postby vetmin on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:00 pm

vincemeister55 wrote:To those who have custom globals and rely on just drag and drop, be aware that Adamb34n's globals differ with each version. Meaning, not all files that he edited are the same in each version. Thats the reason for the silence some people are experiencing.

Yeah, I get why OP packaged the mod the way he did, as it simplifies installation to a basic drag-and-drop, but the mod could be repackaged in a more modular way that would be much, much smaller in file size (due to less file redundancy from broadcast folder to broadcast folder) and also a little easier to install for people who have a basic understanding of mods and want to use this music with existing mods. (Not intending to criticize OP here; there's no one-size-fits-all way of packaging a mod like this.)

Here is an alternate install guide that's a little more streamlined / flexible (based on my understanding; please correct me, OP, if anything is mistaken):

DO THIS ONCE -> Assuming you want to have broadcast music for every game you play (i.e., switching between TNT, ESPN, NBC, whatever, but always having one of them on, never turning all of them off), go into any one of the "Regular" folders and drag everything except global.iff into your main Mods folder, not a broadcast subfolder. Everything except global.iff merely silences the default game audio so that it doesn't interfere with the broadcast music, so it's universally applicable and thus more efficient to just put it in your main Mods folder (that you always have on) instead of duplicating it in every single broadcast folder.

DO THIS FOR EACH BROADCAST YOU WANT TO USE -> Assuming you use a custom global.iff (as I expect most mod-using PC players do), open OP's global.iff (whichever you want to use among the "Regular" folders) with 7zip or something comparable and sort by Date Modified or Date Created, so that the most recently modified/created files are at the top. Right below the folders (e.g., nba, nbaball, sponsor) will be the two RESA files that OP modded (and I guess maybe a WAV sometimes, but as OP says he mistakenly included that and you can safely ignore it). Those are literally the only two modded files, so all you have to do is drag those two RESA files into your preferred / pre-existing modded global.iff and let them overwrite what was in there, then drag that global.iff into the appropriate broadcast folder (i.e., whatever folder you're using for that broadcast's scoreboard, breakboard, etc.). Rinse and repeat this process (i.e., dragging and dropping the two modded RESAs into a copy of your preferred global) for each broadcast you want to use.

The end result is that you'll have a different copy of global.iff in each one of your broadcast folders, though the only difference between them will be that each uses different versions of those two RESA files; otherwise they will be identical, whether they are based on the default global.iff, Psamyou'll's Take On Reality, or whatever.
vetmin

Postby vetmin on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:28 pm

Had a chance to use the mod last night and it's great! Excellent work, OP! A few things:

(1) Would you mind posting your exact audio configuration (i.e., Commentary + PA + SFX + Crowd + Player Chatter + 2K Beats)? The balance you have in your preview videos is great, so I think it would be helpful to have your settings as a base that we can tweak from there.

(2) This is from a whopping sample size of 1, so keep in that mind, but I played a game last night with the ESPN Playoffs General 1 configuration and the music activated properly, but it went silent when the TeaserMusic presentation began showing. My guess is that this was not caused by the silent TeaserMusic audio somehow interrupting your modded audio, but rather that your ESPN music merely happened to run its course right as the TeaserMusic began playing. What do you think of lengthening the ESPN (or other) music so that they can cover the TeaserMusic presentation, or have you tried that and it ended up running too long when TeaserMusic didn't activate? Just curious if you encountered this and have any ideas for a solution. In that particular situation, it would've actually been better if I'd not silenced the TeaserMusic audio, so I'm wondering maybe it shouldn't be silenced (if all of the themes die out before making it there), but please weigh in.

(3) The only things that come to mind that could make this mod better are:
---- 1. If there were perhaps a bit of dead silence at the beginning of the track so that the music only starts playing after the 2KTV screen goes away. Currently, when it starts playing, it does so while you're still hearing 2KTV, which cramps the mod's style for like a second or two.
---- 2. Not remotely urgent and maybe not even possible, but I think ideally we could find an audio trigger that doesn't require internet access, as the 2KTV pre-game interface only triggers when you're online. My understanding is that this method will no longer work once the servers go down, which is distant, but it may eventually be an issue if 2K23 is not released on PC (i.e., if they're done maintaining current-gen and don't think it's worth the investment to port it to PC) or if 2K23 is on PC as next-gen and 2K22 has a prolonged life via modding, a la 2K14.
vetmin

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:02 pm

vetmin wrote:
vincemeister55 wrote:To those who have custom globals and rely on just drag and drop, be aware that Adamb34n's globals differ with each version. Meaning, not all files that he edited are the same in each version. Thats the reason for the silence some people are experiencing.

Yeah, I get why OP packaged the mod the way he did, as it simplifies installation to a basic drag-and-drop, but the mod could be repackaged in a more modular way that would be much, much smaller in file size (due to less file redundancy from broadcast folder to broadcast folder) and also a little easier to install for people who have a basic understanding of mods and want to use this music with existing mods. (Not intending to criticize OP here; there's no one-size-fits-all way of packaging a mod like this.)

Here is an alternate install guide that's a little more streamlined / flexible (based on my understanding; please correct me, OP, if anything is mistaken):

DO THIS ONCE -> Assuming you want to have broadcast music for every game you play (i.e., switching between TNT, ESPN, NBC, whatever, but always having one of them on, never turning all of them off), go into any one of the "Regular" folders and drag everything except global.iff into your main Mods folder, not a broadcast subfolder. Everything except global.iff merely silences the default game audio so that it doesn't interfere with the broadcast music, so it's universally applicable and thus more efficient to just put it in your main Mods folder (that you always have on) instead of duplicating it in every single broadcast folder.

DO THIS FOR EACH BROADCAST YOU WANT TO USE -> Assuming you use a custom global.iff (as I expect most mod-using PC players do), open OP's global.iff (whichever you want to use among the "Regular" folders) with 7zip or something comparable and sort by Date Modified or Date Created, so that the most recently modified/created files are at the top. Right below the folders (e.g., nba, nbaball, sponsor) will be the two RESA files that OP modded (and I guess maybe a WAV sometimes, but as OP says he mistakenly included that and you can safely ignore it). Those are literally the only two modded files, so all you have to do is drag those two RESA files into your preferred / pre-existing modded global.iff and let them overwrite what was in there, then drag that global.iff into the appropriate broadcast folder (i.e., whatever folder you're using for that broadcast's scoreboard, breakboard, etc.). Rinse and repeat this process (i.e., dragging and dropping the two modded RESAs into a copy of your preferred global) for each broadcast you want to use.

The end result is that you'll have a different copy of global.iff in each one of your broadcast folders, though the only difference between them will be that each uses different versions of those two RESA files; otherwise they will be identical, whether they are based on the default global.iff, Psamyou'll's Take On Reality, or whatever.

This is a perfect explanation! Really cleared everything up for me, and everyone included.

Thank you for sharing this. I haven't been involved with the 2K PC scene in a while, so some of my knowledge concerning how everything works together is rusty.

I am pushing an update shortly that will address all of this, including new installation instructions and a new mod pack structure that is hopefully more clear and concise. Hopefully it makes it a breeze to install from now on! I will credit you where due and again, thank you for pointing all of this out.
Adamb34n

Postby vetmin on Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:35 pm

Adamb34n wrote:This is a perfect explanation! Really cleared everything up for me, and everyone included.

Thank you for sharing this. I haven't been involved with the 2K PC scene in a while, so some of my knowledge concerning how everything works together is rusty.

I am pushing an update shortly that will address all of this, including new installation instructions and a new mod pack structure that is hopefully more clear and concise. Hopefully it makes it a breeze to install from now on! I will credit you where due and again, thank you for pointing all of this out.

No problem, man. Yeah, for mods like these that only mod a specific file or subset of files within an IFF that controls a lot of different things (like global.iff, english.iff., etc.), I feel like what many creators do (in the download ZIP/RAR/7z/etc. that they share with the community) is create a folder titled something like "Drag into globalIFF", then within that folder is strictly the file or files that were modded, so that the download size isn't inflated by all the stuff in global.iff that isn't relevant to the mod. Also, modded files like the silenced audio (TeaserMusic, anthem, 2K broadcast music) would usually just be included once in a separate folder, with instructions for what to do with them (either drag into Mods or -- for the Nat'l TV-only approach -- into the relevant broadcast folder). The two silenced TeaserMusics + the two silenced WAVs + 20 or so RESA files probably don't even add up to 100 MB.
vetmin

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:03 pm

vetmin wrote: No problem, man. Yeah, for mods like these that only mod a specific file or subset of files within an IFF that controls a lot of different things (like global.iff, english.iff., etc.), I feel like what many creators do (in the download ZIP/RAR/7z/etc. that they share with the community) is create a folder titled something like "Drag into globalIFF", then within that folder is strictly the file or files that were modded, so that the download size isn't inflated by all the stuff in global.iff that isn't relevant to the mod. Also, modded files like the silenced audio (TeaserMusic, anthem, 2K broadcast music) would usually just be included once in a separate folder, with instructions for what to do with them (either drag into Mods or -- for the Nat'l TV-only approach -- into the relevant broadcast folder). The two silenced TeaserMusics + the two silenced WAVs + 20 or so RESA files probably don't even add up to 100 MB.

That is pretty much the route I took with the new update. I still left in the Mod_ folders in so people who don't use a custom global.iff (I don't at the moment, but I'm sure that will change) can have an "easier" way of just throwing them over to the NBA 2k22 directory.

vetmin wrote:(1) Would you mind posting your exact audio configuration (i.e., Commentary + PA + SFX + Crowd + Player Chatter + 2K Beats)? The balance you have in your preview videos is great, so I think it would be helpful to have your settings as a base that we can tweak from there.

I use the custom broadcast preset, then modify that by putting PA down to 30, crowd to 30, and commentary to 65 - This makes it into the custom preset slot. When the game starts I then turn all of that back up a great deal because the music isn't relevant after that point.

vetmin wrote:(2) This is from a whopping sample size of 1, so keep in that mind, but I played a game last night with the ESPN Playoffs General 1 configuration and the music activated properly, but it went silent when the TeaserMusic presentation began showing. My guess is that this was not caused by the silent TeaserMusic audio somehow interrupting your modded audio, but rather that your ESPN music merely happened to run its course right as the TeaserMusic began playing. What do you think of lengthening the ESPN (or other) music so that they can cover the TeaserMusic presentation, or have you tried that and it ended up running too long when TeaserMusic didn't activate? Just curious if you encountered this and have any ideas for a solution. In that particular situation, it would've actually been better if I'd not silenced the TeaserMusic audio, so I'm wondering maybe it shouldn't be silenced (if all of the themes die out before making it there), but please weigh in.

That is probably exactly what happened - all of the files top out around 40-45 seconds so when that teaser comes up (30 seconds long), it will run out. I could make some of the audio files longer, but I am not getting those teaser intros every time so it makes it something that could be sacrificed as long as this avenue is being used for pre-game music.

vetmin wrote:3) The only things that come to mind that could make this mod better are:
---- 1. If there were perhaps a bit of dead silence at the beginning of the track so that the music only starts playing after the 2KTV screen goes away. Currently, when it starts playing, it does so while you're still hearing 2KTV, which cramps the mod's style for like a second or two.
---- 2. Not remotely urgent and maybe not even possible, but I think ideally we could find an audio trigger that doesn't require internet access, as the 2KTV pre-game interface only triggers when you're online. My understanding is that this method will no longer work once the servers go down, which is distant, but it may eventually be an issue if 2K23 is not released on PC (i.e., if they're done maintaining current-gen and don't think it's worth the investment to port it to PC) or if 2K23 is on PC as next-gen and 2K22 has a prolonged life via modding, a la 2K14.

To your first point, that is a good idea. Could be worth going back and making some modifications to include some silence for a couple seconds. Your second point, that is something I never even thought of! We have many months to go so for now we are set. We have a good amount of time to figure out alternatives if that becomes an issue.
Adamb34n

Re: INTRO MUSIC MOD - UPDATE V2 - TNT/ESPN/NBC/Bally/RETRO Network Music

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:17 pm

New update has been released!

Information:

Please read the new installation instructions thoroughly in the main post of this thread. In one of the comments above Vetmin gave the general idea when it comes to getting the mod to work for everybody. if you have a pre-existing modded golbal.iff already in your mods folder - you will use Method 2. If not, use Method 1. I go through exactly what to do in the top post of this thread near the download link!

I simplified the Mod Pack Folder, electing to focus on the method that replaces the menu-start-game_01.RESA file in the global.iff - this triggers the network music when the game is ready to enter during the 2K TV segment. The flow of the Mod Pack Folder also should be more clear in general. Bally Sports, ESPN 2003-2006, Retro TNT, and Fox network music have all been added, joining the existing pool that I posted previously!

I hope this makes the mod easier to navigate and install. If anybody has any questions or needs help, leave a reply and I'll have you covered! If I made any mistakes in explaining the process or if anyone has any general concerns, also let me know! I want everyone to be able to enjoy this, so we'll work to make this as accessible as possible.
Adamb34n

Re: INTRO MUSIC MOD - UPDATE V2 - TNT/ESPN/NBC/Bally/RETRO Network Music

Postby KramNaj on Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:24 pm

Adamb34n wrote:New update has been released!

Information:

Please read the new installation instructions thoroughly in the main post of this thread. In one of the comments above Vetmin gave the general idea when it comes to getting the mod to work for everybody. if you have a pre-existing modded golbal.iff already in your mods folder - you will use Method 2. If not, use Method 1. I go through exactly what to do in the top post of this thread near the download link!

I simplified the Mod Pack Folder, electing to focus on the method that replaces the menu-start-game_01.RESA file in the global.iff - this triggers the network music when the game is ready to enter during the 2K TV segment. The flow of the Mod Pack Folder also should be more clear in general. Bally Sports, ESPN 2003-2006, Retro TNT, and Fox network music have all been added, joining the existing pool that I posted previously!

I hope this makes the mod easier to navigate and install. If anybody has any questions or needs help, leave a reply and I'll have you covered! If I made any mistakes in explaining the process or if anyone has any general concerns, also let me know! I want everyone to be able to enjoy this, so we'll work to make this as accessible as possible.

Thank you very much for adding RETRO Intros. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :100: :100: :100: :100: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
KramNaj

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:31 pm

Adamb34n wrote:

Thanks!

By the audio format/parameters, are you referring to the process where I took the original audio file I wanted to use and converted it into the RESA format? Or do you mean the audio details (like hz, or length) that show when you edit the file (I used audacity) in the audio editor?

I was referring to Audacity options when you save the file. I thoughts it was ogg 44hz then rename, but it doesnt work.
So if you can share those settings, it would be great for retro scene too ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby vetmin on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:55 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
Adamb34n wrote:

Thanks!

I was referring to Audacity options when you save the file. I thoughts it was ogg 44hz then rename, but it doesnt work.
So if you can share those settings, it would be great for retro scene too ;)

He said above that he did the same thing I did in order to create RESA audio files for the TeaserMusic presentations, namely: (1) create the audio you want in MP3 format, (2) convert MP3 to WAV using looyh's 2K Music Converter, then (3) rename the WAV to blahblahblah.RESA. I mentioned above that I tried to do this awhile back and it didn't work, but I only tried once and may have made a stupid mistake along the way. I will try again to be sure. (It's of course possible that OP and I may be using different MP3 encoding, and his encoding works with the global RESAs while mine works with TeaserMusic only, but I haven't confirmed that, and I would think that the conversion process by looyh's tool would cleanse the file of anything unique in its MP3 encoding).
vetmin

Next

Return to NBA 2K22 Modding