MyNBA Eras

Talk about NBA 2K23 here.

MyNBA Eras

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:11 am

There's news about MyNBA. You can start in different years now. I think there are three options: 1983, 1991 and 2002 (outside of current year, obviously).

https://nba.2k.com/2k23/courtside-report/mynba/

phpBB [video]
Raps in 4

Re: MyNBA Eras

Postby timmyd on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 am

Nice! this is really promising. If this mode is coming to PC, I cannot wait to see the mods we can come up to make this mod even more scarier (in a good way). Right now Looyh has a tool in which we can update player faces by age through out a My League Experience. Imagine this mod next year??

ALSO... WE MIGHT be onto something with the schedules being authentic as well! I took a screen shot of the 2002 Lakers schedule in the Calender view (from the YouTube link you posted). It looks like the schedule for the lakers in terms of opponents is correct! the only thing that's a little off is the exact date... example. In reality the Lakers played the Spurs as the home opener on the 28th of Oct... but in NBA2k23 its the 29th. The next opponent was Blazers... and then Clippers... all of that is correct but just a day late which is fine.

This may be the greatest NBA2k in terms of features... hope gameplay is what they say it is going to be. I would absolutely be willing to call this the best NBA game EVER if they can get the BIG MEN Centers and PF's to stop spotting up at the 3point line when playing with classic teams haha. Small ask... but it's been difficult to replicate since 2k16.
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:47 am

timmyd wrote:Nice! this is really promising. If this mode is coming to PC, I cannot wait to see the mods we can come up to make this mod even more scarier (in a good way). Right now Looyh has a tool in which we can update player faces by age through out a My League Experience. Imagine this mod next year??

ALSO... WE MIGHT be onto something with the schedules being authentic as well! I took a screen shot of the 2002 Lakers schedule in the Calender view (from the YouTube link you posted). It looks like the schedule for the lakers in terms of opponents is correct! the only thing that's a little off is the exact date... example. In reality the Lakers played the Spurs as the home opener on the 28th of Oct... but in NBA2k23 its the 29th. The next opponent was Blazers... and then Clippers... all of that is correct but just a day late which is fine.

This may be the greatest NBA2k in terms of features... hope gameplay is what they say it is going to be. I would absolutely be willing to call this the best NBA game EVER if they can get the BIG MEN Centers and PF's to stop spotting up at the 3point line when playing with classic teams haha. Small ask... but it's been difficult to replicate since 2k16.

In the video there's mention that the teams of the 80s shoot less threes.

But, unfortunately, I think this feature is next gen only.
Raps in 4

Postby timmyd on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:58 am

Yes, it is next-gen you are right. I just got confirmation of that.... :( I'll play it on Ps5 but it won't be the same. I am sure we will be seeing a lot John Smiths on teams haha

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:26 am

timmyd wrote:Yes, it is next-gen you are right. I just got confirmation of that.... :( I'll play it on Ps5 but it won't be the same. I am sure we will be seeing a lot John Smiths on teams haha

The league will have the same number of teams it did at that time, with accurate rosters (limited by the players 2K has a license to use)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmaziq ... ee9930243d

So hopefully they'll be nearly complete.
Raps in 4

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:28 am

From the same link:
Yes, You Can Edit Draft Classes & Roster Within the Eras Feature

2K won’t have every player who was on a roster for every season from 1983 to the present. However, as has been the case in the past in MyNBA, users will have full control to edit rosters and draft classes.

For example, if a gamer wants to create and include a player like Rasheed Wallace who has not been in the game in previous years during his draft year of 1995, you can to add authenticity. You can also inject fictional players or simply go with the 2K, historically generated rosters that match NBA Draft over the years.

Raps in 4

Postby timmyd on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 am

Raps in 4 wrote:From the same link:
Yes, You Can Edit Draft Classes & Roster Within the Eras Feature

2K won’t have every player who was on a roster for every season from 1983 to the present. However, as has been the case in the past in MyNBA, users will have full control to edit rosters and draft classes.

For example, if a gamer wants to create and include a player like Rasheed Wallace who has not been in the game in previous years during his draft year of 1995, you can to add authenticity. You can also inject fictional players or simply go with the 2K, historically generated rosters that match NBA Draft over the years.

Thanks for sharing! I know some really nice Rasheed builds have existed in the past. Hopefully we can get some nice Reggie, Barkley, Pau Gasol ones too.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:23 am

Wow, that got me hyped for a new NBA 2K after almost 10 years. This time they clearly put the effort into enhancing the NBA side of the game, probably motivated by all those Youtubers making "What If" videos with modded rosters and whatnot, but the motivation behind it doesn't really matter, I think.

However, I do expect several inconsistency errors and lack of detail in some areas. For example, the video shows the 2008 New Orleans Hornets logo for the Kobe Era, which according to the game starts in 2002. There will be generic players too, it's only natural. But as long as they don't generate rookies with arm sleeves and giant, colorful tattoos in 1986, I personally can deal with it no problem. Some variety for the generic bench warmers wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this year's game. The presentation touches look amazing, era-specific commentary is awesome (especially with "The Czar of the Telestrator" Mike Fratello as a member of the crew), the dynamic uniform/floor/logo changes are really cool and so forth. Definitely a step in the right direction, at least for Old Heads like some of us.
CarolusXCI

Postby Dmayne on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:05 am

PC players get this feature also... In 13 months...
Thank you 2k for giving me so much time to upgrade my 10700k and 3070 to something better so I can play the "next gen" version of your game.
Dmayne

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:17 am

While this mode is a fantastic concept, especially for fans of MyLEAGUE that wanted historical content, the fact that it's next-gen exclusive shows how little 2K is caring about the current-gen player base. It's nice that us PC users get the Jordan Challenge, but from what the PC screenshots currently look like, we're getting the last-minute compiled version which will lack the arena updates, player likeness updates, player licensing, and possibly the signature animations as well. I've seen tweets from people affiliated with 2K that suggest that the developers should only focus on the next-generation consoles and how it's a "waste" to put extra hours on the "obsolete" versions. We're still in a period where it can be challenging to purchase a PS5 or Series X, and many players still play on current gen. We're missing a game mode, and we get absolutely nothing in return (referring to an exclusive mode to compensate). Remember how we didn't get 2K14 next-gen on PC, but we got the Path to Greatness mode as an exclusive? It wasn't anything fantastic, but at least they were considerate to offer a compensation of sorts. I can't wait to see the Jordan Challenge on PC that still uses cyberfaces from 2K12, inaccurate animations/tendencies, and arenas/courts that aren't improved like the next-gen versions. I don't have plans to get a PS5 or Series X any time soon, so looks like it's back to 2K13, 14, 17, and 20 for historical content for me. I haven't purchased another 2K game after 20 because I feared this exact thing would happen; lack of attention to those that don't have the shiny new toy.

I've taken a look at the screenshots for MyNBA, and I can at least say the presentation is fantastic. They've really pushed how far they can go without the licensing to the CBS and NBC presentations, and even included the filters. Although I'm still disappointed that every team looks to be using the generic black and red stanchion even though they're using unique sets in the Jordan Challenge. It's an eyesore on arenas like the Boston Garden (which I'm surprised that they got the rights to use the actual arena name, same with Chicago Stadium)
RayRay_953

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:12 am

Where did you guys get confirmation this is next gen only? Couldn't find anything either in the video or in the article.
jmmontoro

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:15 am

jmmontoro wrote:Where did you guys get confirmation this is next gen only? Couldn't find anything either in the video or in the article.

We’ve got a bit of a treat for you with this Courtside Report! Today we’re going to break down what’s new in MyNBA for NBA 2K23 on the PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles!

explicitly mentioned those platforms and not the rest

I don't know where others got confirmation though
Raps in 4

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:26 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
jmmontoro wrote:Where did you guys get confirmation this is next gen only? Couldn't find anything either in the video or in the article.

We’ve got a bit of a treat for you with this Courtside Report! Today we’re going to break down what’s new in MyNBA for NBA 2K23 on the PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles!

explicitly mentioned those platforms and not the rest

I don't know where others got confirmation though

Oh yes, I guess drafting Jordan takes that little extra computing power.

I have little expectations for current gen but in all their socials they never said exclusive to next gen or anything similar, only in the courtside report they say it's new and on the next gen consoles. I'm not in legal but that ambiguity is too dangerous on an already explosive community.
jmmontoro

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:19 am

https://twitter.com/PeteToal/status/1560280571376717826
Pete works with the 2K rosters and getting the historical content added to the game. He's confirmed that this is a next-gen exclusive mode, and with 2K themselves specifically mentioning the PS5 and Series X consoles, it's all but confirmed that this will be an exclusive feature for next-gen. The Jordan Challenges will be included on current gen (as indicated on their website), but not MyNBA. The part where I disagree with Pete is how he calls the current gen "outdated" even though many people are still on current gen (the best MyTEAM player, Tydebo is a current gen player for example, and MyTEAM makes a lot of revenue for 2K).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1919590/NBA_2K23/
Also for further proof, the Steam page doesn't mention anything about MyNBA (they've included the Jordan Challenges a week before 2K updated their website to reassure users)
RayRay_953

Postby vetmin on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:48 am

RayRay_953 wrote:While this mode is a fantastic concept, especially for fans of MyLEAGUE that wanted historical content, the fact that it's next-gen exclusive shows how little 2K is caring about the current-gen player base. It's nice that us PC users get the Jordan Challenge, but from what the PC screenshots currently look like, we're getting the last-minute compiled version which will lack the arena updates, player likeness updates, player licensing, and possibly the signature animations as well. I've seen tweets from people affiliated with 2K that suggest that the developers should only focus on the next-generation consoles and how it's a "waste" to put extra hours on the "obsolete" versions. We're still in a period where it can be challenging to purchase a PS5 or Series X, and many players still play on current gen. We're missing a game mode, and we get absolutely nothing in return (referring to an exclusive mode to compensate). Remember how we didn't get 2K14 next-gen on PC, but we got the Path to Greatness mode as an exclusive? It wasn't anything fantastic, but at least they were considerate to offer a compensation of sorts. I can't wait to see the Jordan Challenge on PC that still uses cyberfaces from 2K12, inaccurate animations/tendencies, and arenas/courts that aren't improved like the next-gen versions. I don't have plans to get a PS5 or Series X any time soon, so looks like it's back to 2K13, 14, 17, and 20 for historical content for me. I haven't purchased another 2K game after 20 because I feared this exact thing would happen; lack of attention to those that don't have the shiny new toy.

I've taken a look at the screenshots for MyNBA, and I can at least say the presentation is fantastic. They've really pushed how far they can go without the licensing to the CBS and NBC presentations, and even included the filters. Although I'm still disappointed that every team looks to be using the generic black and red stanchion even though they're using unique sets in the Jordan Challenge. It's an eyesore on arenas like the Boston Garden (which I'm surprised that they got the rights to use the actual arena name, same with Chicago Stadium)

I dunno I think the sooner 2K shifts its focus entirely to new-gen, the sooner PC gets it (and the better it'll be when we do), so I'm all for them neglecting old-gen for new. The reality is that most of what MyNBA Eras claims to offer is already easily doable on the PC, as is much that it cannot do (mostly for legal / licensing purposes), so I don't really understand the sentiment of feeling like one is missing out. Replaying NBA history with classic filters, logos, jerseys, dornas, etc. is already run-of-the-mill stuff on PC. For me, what's exciting is the fact that new-gen will have so much of this functionality baked into the default game, which will open up new possibilities for the eventual modding process (on 2k24 or beyond) in addition to making it simply easier. If you're on 2k20 with a bunch of well-polished historic rosters, etc., then you already have old-gen MyNBA Eras, it's just encouraging for future modding to see it in the default new-gen game. It'll be such a fantastic base for historical roster work.

EDIT: And also, where do you see that PC is not getting new cyberfaces? I've seen screenshots (that seemed legit) that included some of the new cyberfaces they've been promoting (namely Booker). I feel like both gens always get the same core cyberfaces.
Last edited by vetmin on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
vetmin

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:50 am

From the years 1983-2002, your commentary booth is going to consist of Kevin Harlan, Clark Kellogg, and new addition Mike Fratello (aka The Czar). Bringing in Fratello provides a huge boost to the presentation of this era of the NBA as he lived through this entire range as both a coach and a sports broadcaster. He brings to the table many stories and insights that only he can convey with such elegance and grace—his voice brings the past alive once again! From the years 2002-2020, Fratello steps aside and makes way for Greg Anthony to provide a more current flavor to the evolving booth. Once 2021 hits, we open up our full multi-team commentary booth with additional sideline reports, guest commentators, the works.

What if I started from the Jordan Era, and Greg Anthony happens to be still playing past 2002?

Replacing Mike Fratello already in 2002 does not make a lot of sense to me. Afterall, he was still a broadcaster in NBA Live 2005, and a good one I might add.
CarolusXCI

Postby Murat on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:08 am

The video basically says you can add Charles Barkley to 1984 NBA Draft. It is nice to see an explanation from a streamer. Most of the details look OK. I wish we could have an old time play-by-play announcer too. Kevin Harlan also commentated in 90s for Timberwolves, but not 80s...

As a modder that was obsessed with retro modding since late 2000s, I liked the feature in general. I remember the day that I tried to drag an old jersey picture to NBA Live 2005 shortcut so it could be installed to game, I was 8 yo back then. This kind of retro stuff in games always mesmerize me. Hope it comes to PC too, a lot of mods would immediately come up after, retro jerseys, faces, courts, a lot of stuff to do. Personally I'd like to see Boston Garden modded.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:18 am

vetmin wrote: I dunno I think the sooner 2K shifts its focus entirely to new-gen, the sooner PC gets it (and the better it'll be when we do), so I'm all for them neglecting old-gen for new. The reality is that most of what MyNBA Eras claims to offer is already easily doable on the PC, as is much that it cannot do (mostly for legal / licensing purposes), so I don't really understand the sentiment of feeling like one is missing out. Replaying NBA history with classic filters, logos, jerseys, dornas, etc. is already run-of-the-mill stuff on PC. For me, what's exciting is the fact that new-gen will have so much of this functionality baked into the default game, which will open up new possibilities for the eventual modding process (on 2k24 or beyond) in addition to making it simply easier. If you're on 2k20 with a bunch of well-polished historic rosters, etc., then you already have old-gen MyNBA Eras, it's just encouraging for future modding to see it in the default new-gen game. It'll be such a fantastic base for historical roster work.

EDIT: And also, where do you see that PC is not getting new cyberfaces? I've seen screenshots (that seemed legit) that included some of the new cyberfaces they've been promoting (namely Booker). I feel like both gens always get the same core cyberfaces.

I can understand the sentiment of going back to the older games (I think skoadam and slimm's URB mod for 2K13/14 does a better job at capturing how the NBA players feel than the actual ones by 2K themselves anyway :lol:). The main concern I have is that they haven't shown any interest of upgrading the PC version to next-gen even though something like a RX 480 has been shown to have the power to run similar games on ultra settings, but 2K doesn't see PC as a profitable option. I feel like we only got the generation jump for 2K15 since 2K14 was released before the PS4/XBO versions came out. At this rate, they might share EA's mindset and completely ax the series (at least on PC like they did with the NBA Live games) because these platforms are "obsolete" in 2K's eyes (also seemingly sharing Jim Ryan's infamous "Who plays that old stuff anyway?" mindset). I also understand the aspect of modding, but not everybody is purchasing these games for the mods, as some might only have a PS4, and are expected to only pay around $10 less for a game with stripped features, missing quality of life updates, and essentially a 2K20.3 roster update. I wouldn't even wait for a sale, since no matter how much we've supported 2K these past few games (and even pushed for a next-gen release), we're not getting everything that makes each game feel unique. It's gotten so bad to the point where I honestly couldn't even recommend a modern 2K title, and just to look for 2K14 instead.

As for the cyberfaces, only a select few players get the updates (mainly the current players, and cover athletes) while many other players are still using old models that aren't usually touched or updated. There have been quite a few legends that received new models on next-gen while current gen is stuck with ugly PS3/360 conversions of 2K12 faces.
RayRay_953

Postby BlazerGun1 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:26 am

and of course it won't be on Current Gen aka PC :lol:

it's such a fucking joke and they can shove the "Next Gen " up their ass - imma wait for the free giveaway on Epic month after the release.
BlazerGun1

Postby vetmin on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:48 am

RayRay_953 wrote:I can understand the sentiment of going back to the older games (I think skoadam and slimm's URB mod for 2K13/14 does a better job at capturing how the NBA players feel than the actual ones by 2K themselves anyway :lol:). The main concern I have is that they haven't shown any interest of upgrading the PC version to next-gen even though something like a RX 480 has been shown to have the power to run similar games on ultra settings, but 2K doesn't see PC as a profitable option.

I've had this concern too, but I've been encouraged to see other sports titles (like Fifa, and also Madden, right?) making the jump to new-gen on PC. It shows that PC is still seen as profitable enough to be worth the trouble of offering new sports titles, and I can't really see 2K being the odd franchise out on that. Also, it makes sense that PC would be old-gen for as long as the dueling gens are happening. Old-gen is already optimized for PC, so there's no additional porting work to be done for it; as long as the old-gen game exists, 2K can pretty effortlessly release it on PC. They also don't have to worry about people with crap PCs buying the new-gen game and being unable to properly run it even on low settings. Once old-gen is discontinued on console, then there simply is no more old-gen can to kick down the road anymore and I imagine they'll release new-gen on PC, because after the initial investment of porting the first one, it should be pretty easy money for them to drop on PC every year. It's all about what's most cost efficient for them, and like I said it's encouraging to me that other sports titles seem to see profit in a PC release of some sort, which for 2K will have to be new-gen once they discontinue old-gen.

I also understand the aspect of modding, but not everybody is purchasing these games for the mods, as some might only have a PS4, and are expected to only pay around $10 less for a game with stripped features, missing quality of life updates, and essentially a 2K20.3 roster update.

Yeah I readily admit that my post was written 100% from a place of PC bias, lol. You're right that it does stink for old-gen console players, but to me it just kinda is what it is. It's wild to devote real resources to multiple gens for multiple years anyway IMO.

As for the cyberfaces, only a select few players get the updates (mainly the current players, and cover athletes) while many other players are still using old models that aren't usually touched or updated. There have been quite a few legends that received new models on next-gen while current gen is stuck with ugly PS3/360 conversions of 2K12 faces.

Ah OK I didn't know that. Yeah I was thinking more re: current players and marquee legends. Ultimately the cyberfaces don't bother me as much since (again, PC bias) my cyberface rotation ends up being super mod-heavy anyway.
vetmin

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am

Murat wrote: I remember the day that I tried to drag an old jersey picture to NBA Live 2005 shortcut so it could be installed to game, I was 8 yo back then.

lol that's awesome
CarolusXCI

Postby diamenz on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:33 am

not on pc, huh. that's garbage. bet the jordan mode will be half-assed to boot.
diamenz

Postby Lagoa on Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:47 am

That's AMAZING! My question:

Will we be able to follow for several years in the My NBA era? For example, take the 2002 Sixers and do 10 seasons? With real drafts? It will be possible? That would be a dream for me, IVERSON ERA!
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM and TWITTER @lagoanba

Please consider making a donation of any value if you like my work! :D

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url
Lagoa

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:54 pm

It's been ages since we've seen such a substantial addition to the offline experience. MyNBA itself was pretty big of course, but it was ultimately a combination of the previous generation's franchise modes, along with some expanded customisation features. That's not to downplay what a good idea that was in and of itself, but this is huge, because it's something many of us dreamed of, but figured would never be possible. And yet, here it is!

Obviously, the quality will come down to the attention to detail as far as ratings, tendencies, and whatnot. We know that there will be missing players and subsequent placeholders, but rosters and Draft Classes can be customised. Still, automatic rule and branding changes, authentic rules, the promise of gameplay tuned for each era...it sounds awesome! It's definitely got my attention, and as I said in another thread, this and the Jordan Challenge have me far more hyped for NBA 2K23 Next Gen and willing to give it a fair go than the First Look Trailer did.

Lagoa wrote:That's AMAZING! My question:

Will we be able to follow for several years in the My NBA era? For example, take the 2002 Sixers and do 10 seasons? With real drafts? It will be possible? That would be a dream for me, IVERSON ERA!

Yes, it's a starting point, and then you'll play year-by-year from then on. Real Draft Classes will be available, though some players will be missing and will need to added via roster and Draft Class editing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Raps in 4 on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:26 am

Andrew wrote:Yes, it's a starting point, and then you'll play year-by-year from then on. Real Draft Classes will be available, though some players will be missing and will need to added via roster and Draft Class editing.

Do you know if there is a modding community on both next gen consoles?
Raps in 4

Next

Return to NBA 2K23