Is 23 better than older games on the court?

Talk about NBA 2K23 here.

Is 23 better than older games on the court?

Postby tinpanalley on Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:41 am

Had this conversation over on reddit and thought I'd bring it here as well to get the opinions of the really well versed players over here...

I don't play anything but a straight up season, all injuries and transactions turned off, offline. On the court and nothing more than on the court, is 2K23 really better than 2K14 for example or do people only say that because they prefer 23 for myteam, online play, and other modes? As a representation of basketball, is 2K14 worse than 23 by a considerable margin?

(Follow up question if you're interested... same thing about 2K11. If it's neither of these games for you, which one is it that plays the best hoops ONLY on the court and nothing else? Not interested in animations having gotten better with time. I'm more interested in mechanics and physics not in smoothness and realistic rendering of graphics. No question NHL22 for example looks better than Legacy or 2K8, but are far more solid mechanically than 22. FIFA 14 and 23 same thing.)
tinpanalley

Re: Is 23 better than older games on the court?

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:29 pm

Andrew and I did a full review and also discussed it in relation to past titles on the most recent NLSC podcast

I recommend giving the show a listen!

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby tinpanalley on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Definitely will.
Goodness, I just checked it out and I'm gonna be honest with you, 2 hours is a big ask but I'll skim through it.
tinpanalley

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:03 am

Next gen NBA 2K23 has great moments and fluidity for me when I have played it but I haven't lost myself in a 2K since 2K17.
Not sure if it's because 2K17 was better but I was coming from playing 2K14 old gen for a few years, then I started playing 2K17 MyLeague and it was just fun.
I'm talking on the court only and any glitches or other things aside.

Had to come back to add that 23 allows you to the most amount of basketball moves that I've seen.
When I watch sim players figure out combos, advantages, etc and apply it against a CPU or human opponent without spamming, it looks like good basketball.
Some of this stuff just can't be replicated on the older games but the older games had nice realistic moments/ rare animations that could catch you by surprise also.
Overall I think 23 is probably the best game on court after you get the sliders and rosters set up how you want them.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tinpanalley on Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:53 am

TGsoGood wrote:Next gen NBA 2K23 has great moments and fluidity for me when I have played it but I haven't lost myself in a 2K since 2K17.
Not sure if it's because 2K17 was better but I was coming from playing 2K14 old gen for a few years, then I started playing 2K17 MyLeague and it was just fun.
I'm talking on the court only and any glitches or other things aside.

Had to come back to add that 23 allows you to the most amount of basketball moves that I've seen.
When I watch sim players figure out combos, advantages, etc and apply it against a CPU or human opponent without spamming, it looks like good basketball.
Some of this stuff just can't be replicated on the older games but the older games had nice realistic moments/ rare animations that could catch you by surprise also.
Overall I think 23 is probably the best game on court after you get the sliders and rosters set up how you want them.

I just feel like I either don't have the knowledge of how to pull off the moves or fluidity perhaps with the controller to pull them off so the rest of the action feels like animatronic robots a lot of the time. I do find not only in NBA2K but also in NHL2K, NHL from EA, FIFA and Madden, even way back to MVP Baseball that the games from 360/PS3 era and older despite being clearly more "animated" or "drawn" for lack of a better term, move far far better. After about 2016, everything just feels "heavy" in sports games and slow, with jarring snaps out of animations. There is an overall look that's really impressive obviously in 2K23 but a lot of it is in cut scenes. Anyway, I was just curious how people felt.
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:28 pm

I feel it's the best game in a while. As far as the PS5/XSX|S version, I'd easily rank it first out of the three so far. The PC and last gen version also received a decent amount of attention despite being the lower priority for 2K, so it's quite solid on the sticks as well. A basic summary of my thoughts from the podcast is that I'm far more inclined to play it than the last couple of games. Even if I'm not playing it exclusively, I do have an interest in having it in the rotation.

At the same time, NBA 2K14 for PS4 is still in my rotation as of late (albeit played on my PS5). I do think there was more fluidity in the motion system that was in use up to NBA 2K17, and I still find those games very appealing to this day. As you noted, there is a heaviness to more recent games that is trying to simulate realistic heft and movement, but does have its clunky moments. To that point, if you prefer the feel of older games, I can definitely relate to that. It's not just you.

With the style of play in the NBA changing over the past decade, NBA 2K23 is also aiming to replicate a different brand of basketball to NBA 2K14, so there's also that. However, I would say that the offline experience is enjoyable, and does hold up quite well compared to previous releases in that regard. The online scene has been ruined by toxicity and hyper-focus on meta gaming and chasing a mythological skill gap, but if you're only playing offline, you avoid that whole hornet's nest.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:42 am

MyLeague on PC, at least CPU v CPU, has no double teaming.
fjccommish

Postby tinpanalley on Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:17 pm

Andrew wrote:I feel it's the best game in a while. As far as the PS5/XSX|S version, I'd easily rank it first out of the three so far. The PC and last gen version also received a decent amount of attention despite being the lower priority for 2K, so it's quite solid on the sticks as well. A basic summary of my thoughts from the podcast is that I'm far more inclined to play it than the last couple of games. Even if I'm not playing it exclusively, I do have an interest in having it in the rotation.

At the same time, NBA 2K14 for PS4 is still in my rotation as of late (albeit played on my PS5). I do think there was more fluidity in the motion system that was in use up to NBA 2K17, and I still find those games very appealing to this day. As you noted, there is a heaviness to more recent games that is trying to simulate realistic heft and movement, but does have its clunky moments. To that point, if you prefer the feel of older games, I can definitely relate to that. It's not just you.

With the style of play in the NBA changing over the past decade, NBA 2K23 is also aiming to replicate a different brand of basketball to NBA 2K14, so there's also that. However, I would say that the offline experience is enjoyable, and does hold up quite well compared to previous releases in that regard. The online scene has been ruined by toxicity and hyper-focus on meta gaming and chasing a mythological skill gap, but if you're only playing offline, you avoid that whole hornet's nest.

Thank you!! I listened to the podcast in little chunks but thanks for confirming my thoughts about the series and about 23 and 14 specifically. I love the way 23 looks, who wouldn't. But that has NEVER been enough reason for me to play a sports game. I still love NHL 2K8 and think it's one of the best 3 NHL games of all time and it is ugly as sin. But it just gets hockey right. And even then, I may be alone on this but I find a lot of the animations in 23 extremely unnatural. Particularly when eyeballs move around without heads moving and when players snap violently out of one animation to head in another direction.
tinpanalley

Postby JA8891 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:47 am

2k23 on next gen just does not feel good to me. Plenty of awesome moments that are not in older games but the feel ruins it all for me. The best I can describe it is “out of touch” from real basketball. It feels good to dribble off a screen, drive an open lane or dunk over a defender and those are great moments but the overall feel of the players movement feels way too unnatural to me along with the constant suction interrupting a variety of good basketball potential. Really disappointed it is not better because there is so much in this game that I enjoy. Even messing with the sliders cannot change the way it feels. I actually bought a PS5 exclusively to play this game as I heard good remarks but will now be selling.
JA8891

Postby Raps in 4 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:49 am

All I can say is that I find it very enjoyable.

I also played a lot of nba2k9, 11, 14, and 22 and a little 2k19.
Raps in 4

Return to NBA 2K23