Can you change the color of the font on the scorebug?

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K23 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Can you change the color of the font on the scorebug?

Postby froob on Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:32 am

I figured out how to change the team color’s on the score bugs but wasn’t sure if you could do it for the font (so you could have one team have their scorebug color be white). Example is attached pic see phoenix’s scorebug. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K23 by Andrew on Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:25 pm.
Check out my mods and more here and send me and request for NBA 2k or Madden uniforms/courts/fields =>https://befroobworld.com/
froob

Re: Can you change the color of the font on the scorebug?

Postby Mahmood on Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:24 am

This has to be done by assembling a custom data string and putting into the VCLOCALIZEDATA in the English.iff, and re-routing that Data to the Scorebug's VCUIELEMENT. I'll see what I can do.
I've modded for 4 games (2K20, 2K21, 2K22, 2K23) and don't plan on stopping!
PM if you have questions or need anything, I'm always around!
You can call me Mood. :)
----------------------------------------
Mahmood
"Mood"

Postby dirtydraw on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:28 am

You mean like this?
dirtydraw
Bulls Fanatic

Postby froob on Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:20 am

dirtydraw wrote:[ Image ]

You mean like this?

exactly, how do I do that? Could I make a mod folder for that if I created each English.iff for each white scorebug I wanted?
Check out my mods and more here and send me and request for NBA 2k or Madden uniforms/courts/fields =>https://befroobworld.com/
froob

Postby froob on Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:25 pm

I did find the English.iff just not sure what to do with it once I have it open in 7ZIP.
froob

Postby vetmin on Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:03 pm

froob wrote:I did find the English.iff just not sure what to do with it once I have it open in 7ZIP.

See my comments and examples in this thread, starting here -> viewtopic.php?f=279&t=114496&start=125#p2073819
vetmin

Postby froob on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:31 pm

vetmin wrote:
froob wrote:I did find the English.iff just not sure what to do with it once I have it open in 7ZIP.

See my comments and examples in this thread, starting here -> viewtopic.php?f=279&t=114496&start=125#p2073819

Dope, thanks!
froob

vetmin wrote:

Dope, thanks!
froob

vetmin wrote:

Dope, thanks!
froob

Postby froob on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:54 pm

vetmin wrote:

Gotcha thanks! You don’t have files that already have the edits you could possibly share do you? Or will it not really work that way if I just take the newscorebug file and the English.iff?
froob

Postby bongo88 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:24 am

Mahmood wrote:This has to be done by assembling a custom data string and putting into the VCLOCALIZEDATA in the English.iff, and re-routing that Data to the Scorebug's VCUIELEMENT. I'll see what I can do.

I haven't looked into vclocalizedata much .... I Did notice in hex that the 22 vcloalizedata and the 23 vclocalizedata ... the headers are slightly different...
also did notice that you can open it up in Excel .... makes the strings easier to read... also can search for words and such...
I pretty much just pressed "find all" ... looked at words(aka-->brain processing nothing :D ), then went back to playing myleague :) lol
dunno if y'all noticed.... forget what i have and have not shared. anyways, that all i know. haven't messed with it at all.

Anwyays, have a good day

EDIT: lol... I just looked a little closer at the strings in the screenshot... pick up football.. 3 start... the faster you press the button the faster your player will run ... once meter collapses press |M_Primary| to catch the football .... i promise this is the NBA 2k23 TEXT.VCLOCALIZEDATA ... wait, what game we playing? lol
bongo88

Postby froob on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:41 am

bongo88 wrote:
Mahmood wrote:This has to be done by assembling a custom data string and putting into the VCLOCALIZEDATA in the English.iff, and re-routing that Data to the Scorebug's VCUIELEMENT. I'll see what I can do.

I haven't looked into vclocalizedata much .... I Did notice in hex that the 22 vcloalizedata and the 23 vclocalizedata ... the headers are slightly different...
also did notice that you can open it up in Excel .... makes the strings easier to read... also can search for words and such...
I pretty much just pressed "find all" ... looked at words(aka-->brain processing nothing :D ), then went back to playing myleague :) lol
dunno if y'all noticed.... forget what i have and have not shared. anyways, that all i know. haven't messed with it at all.

[ Image ]

Anwyays, have a good day

EDIT: lol... I just looked a little closer at the strings in the screenshot... pick up football.. 3 start... the faster you press the button the faster your player will run ... once meter collapses press |M_Primary| to catch the football .... i promise this is the NBA 2k23 TEXT.VCLOCALIZEDATA ... wait, what game we playing? lol

Hmm I’m using open office and it keeps crashing trying to load vlocalizeddata. Are you exporting it from English.iff first?

Tried to use net pad++ alternately and couldn’t convert to a character set that is readable.
froob

Postby bongo88 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:43 pm

Open english.iff in 7zip

drag text.vclocalizedata to desktop

here's some videos that might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-GhP9n_tmc

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rvptINtwfy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UlDetSBy2w

If i were to pursue this....

open up text.vclocalizedata in excel (easier to read)

do something similar to vetmin : {0:PT_SUBJECT:TEAM_HOME:TEXT_TERTIARY}{0:PT_SUBJECT:TEAM_HOME:NAME:SHORT}|RESTORE_COLOR|

Find a string/sentance in excel that is the exact number of characters above... the sentance above is 88 characters long .... or find it in looyh text dump ... 88 characters long

then open looyh text dump : viewtopic.php?f=279&t=114566&p=2072197#p2072197

Then, you open text.vclocalizedata in a hex editor and edit the sentance

then find the pointer in newscorebug.iff ---> newscorebug.vcuielement ... and replace the pointer .... vetmin had a guide somewhere... dunno the link

not the easiest mod to start with... somewhat time consuming... probably why i haven't bothered with it
bongo88

Postby vetmin on Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:35 pm

bongo88 wrote:also did notice that you can open it up in Excel ....

Learn something new every day! That’s pretty nifty. Note that you can also find strings of the appropriate length by searching looyh’s hash list in Notepad++. If you want to find a string of n characters long, search for:

: (plus) n number of wildcard characters (plus) the code for a line break. I forget the exact syntax Notepad++ uses (not at my PC right now), but Notepad++ has very powerful & flexible search features.

Sidenote to froob: I was chatting with Mahmood and he seems to be going through the process I described in DEN2K’s thread to colorize that board, so I imagine you’ll have it pretty soon. It’s not so time consuming to do as long as you don’t make mistakes (maybe 20-30 minutes). Main reason I didn’t just do it myself and get it over with is because I have no immediate need for it, and when I eventually need it I’d rather apply the edits to the latest version of the game text, as that tends to be updated with each patch. Whatever Mahmood shares may possibly be problematic after a future patch, which would necessitate a fix. Not difficult to do, but you can only edit the game text in its totality, and I make a bunch of edits to the game text besides this color stuff. It’s tedious to re-input all my other edits, so the less often I have to do that, the better.
vetmin

Postby froob on Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:17 pm

vetmin wrote:
bongo88 wrote:also did notice that you can open it up in Excel ....

Learn something new every day! That’s pretty nifty. Note that you can also find strings of the appropriate length by searching looyh’s hash list in Notepad++. If you want to find a string of n characters long, search for:

: (plus) n number of wildcard characters (plus) the code for a line break. I forget the exact syntax Notepad++ uses (not at my PC right now), but Notepad++ has very powerful & flexible search features.

Sidenote to froob: I was chatting with Mahmood and he seems to be going through the process I described in DEN2K’s thread to colorize that board, so I imagine you’ll have it pretty soon. It’s not so time consuming to do as long as you don’t make mistakes (maybe 20-30 minutes). Main reason I didn’t just do it myself and get it over with is because I have no immediate need for it, and when I eventually need it I’d rather apply the edits to the latest version of the game text, as that tends to be updated with each patch. Whatever Mahmood shares may possibly be problematic after a future patch, which would necessitate a fix. Not difficult to do, but you can only edit the game text in its totality, and I make a bunch of edits to the game text besides this color stuff. It’s tedious to re-input all my other edits, so the less often I have to do that, the better.

Appreciate it guys, thanks! This hash stuff is pretty interesting, going to try to learn it.
froob

Postby vetmin on Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:59 pm

I figured I'd go ahead and just make the edits (and file them away so I can just copy/paste them later), but in doing so, I learned that there's an extra step / consideration that I didn't realize. In my post here (viewtopic.php?f=279&t=114496&start=125#p2073895), I say:

Forgot to note that, while I haven't tried it, it wouldn't surprise me if changing TEXT_TERTIARY to TEXT_PRIMARY or TEXT_SECONDARY works as well. There are no default variables with that usage, but it's a logical extension that may work and would allow more freedom re: which color to assign. Ultimately not that important though since TEXT_TERTIARY ought to work just fine. Obviously for it to be effective one needs to make sure teams have coherent color combinations for the colors called by TEXT_TERTIARY and the background field, so it's not exactly plug and play for Play Now Online or anything, but for custom rosters where you can manage your team colors it should be fine.

It turns out that TEXT_PRIMARY and TEXT_SECONDARY do work and that it's actually necessary to use them, since the default scorebug VCUI (i.e., on which mods are built) can only handle one of each type of color at a time. So if you assign two different TEXT_TERTIARYs (one for home and one for away), it only processes one of them. If you use TEXT_TERTIARY for one team, you have to use TEXT_PRIMARY or TEXT_SECONDARY for the other. If you use TEXT_PRIMARY for one team, you have to use TEXT_SECONDARY or TEXT_TERTIARY for the other. Etc.

Will share the color edits shortly.
vetmin

Postby vetmin on Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:17 pm

vetmin

Return to NBA 2K23 Modding