OTools for editing .O and .FSH files

Discussion about NBA Live 2004.

OTools for editing .O and .FSH files

Postby Dmitry on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 am

OTools is a set of tools for importing/exporting EA Sports model format (.O).
OTools provides an ability to convert .O files into 3d-software-friendly file format (GLTF), and also to convert 3d file formats (GLTF, FBX, OBJ etc.) into .O. It also provides additional functionality, such as packing and unpacking .FSH files.

Since version 0.177, support for NBA games (NBA Live 2003; NBA Live 2004) was added.
For NBA Live 2003 and 2004 we have export and import, but exporting/importing morph meshes (player body and faces) is not possible. In .O format the morph implementation is very uncommon - you can apply morphing to any vertex attribute, even including bone weights. I think such morphing was never used anywhere, but in NBA Live 2004 we have morphing of texture coordinates, for example. And in most 3D applications (including Blender) and 3D formats, only morphing of positions and normals is expected. So there must be some special way to deal with it. I think morph export/import might be added in future OTools version.

Image Image

Source code: https://bitbucket.org/fifam/otools
Downloads: https://bitbucket.org/fifam/otools/downloads/
Basic guide: https://bitbucket.org/fifam/otools/wiki/Scene_setup
Editing NBA series guide: https://bitbucket.org/fifam/otools/wiki ... A%20series
Last edited by Dmitry on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitry

Re: New .O tool in development.

Postby Roseblade13 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:31 am

Hi from what tool can we export the.0 Files ? could this be exported to sketchup or Blender?
"Paradise unearned is but a land of shadows" Silver Surfer/ Stan Lee

All of Roseblade 13 CF patches are Open sourced and are freely editable
Roseblade13

Postby Roseblade13 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:33 am

Hi from what tool can we export the.0 Files ? could this be exported to sketchup or Blender?
Dmitry wrote:Hi. I'm working on a new tool for EA .O files (used for models and animations).
Model export is already possible:

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

But for import, I need help from people who worked with models in NBA games.
Would there be someone interested in such tool?

Also what help do you need?

Roseblade13

Postby Dmitry on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:39 am

The new .O tool is not developed for any specific software (Blender, 3ds Max etc.) - but rather it works with general model formats. It can convert GLTF, 3DS, FBX, DAE and OBJ files to O.
And, at the same moment, all these files are possible to create with Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, Sketchup, etc.

The tool is already made and working - but only with FIFA games.
https://bitbucket.org/fifam/otools
I'm looking for people who are interested in other games so we could also add support for them.

Here are some first questions from me related to NBA games:
When do .O files were started to use in NBA games? Was it 2002 or 2003, or earlier?
Is it possible to add new model/texture into the game (for example - face for new player, or a kit for a new team)? How does it work in general and which tools are used?
Is it possible to replace original files with bigger ones (bigger texture resolution, bigger model files etc.)?
How player faces are created/edited? Original face files contain only morphing (vertex animation) data, and it means they are strictly connected to the "base" face mesh. How do people create or edit face files? Do they edit that morphing data?

I also want to find people who could test the tool when/if NBA games support will be added.
Dmitry

Postby Roseblade13 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:22 am

Dmitry wrote:The new .O tool is not developed for any specific software (Blender, 3ds Max etc.) - but rather it works with general model formats. It can convert GLTF, 3DS, FBX, DAE and OBJ files to O.
And, at the same moment, all these files are possible to create with Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, Sketchup, etc.

The tool is already made and working - but only with FIFA games.
https://bitbucket.org/fifam/otools
I'm looking for people who are interested in other games so we could also add support for them.

Here are some first questions from me related to NBA games:
When do .O files were started to use in NBA games? Was it 2002 or 2003, or earlier?
Is it possible to add new model/texture into the game (for example - face for new player, or a kit for a new team)? How does it work in general and which tools are used?
Is it possible to replace original files with bigger ones (bigger texture resolution, bigger model files etc.)?
How player faces are created/edited? Original face files contain only morphing (vertex animation) data, and it means they are strictly connected to the "base" face mesh. How do people create or edit face files? Do they edit that morphing data?

I also want to find people who could test the tool when/if NBA games support will be added.

Hi I do not know if I could answer the question properly, andrew might give a better answer but based from experience
I think this started in Nba Live 2003 and peaked In Live 04.

Yes it is possible to add new texture models in the game you could take a look at this resource on how the game is being modded:

All-in-One Tutorials Package

In terms of changing the resolution of the texture it is possible to do so a shoe mod done years ago changed the resolution of the In game shoes, Next in terms of the In game logos and cyberfaces yes it is doable to change the resolution but with certain limitations, I did some of the logos way back before

We edit what is exported via Ea graphics editor a file created by EA to extract texture files and we use morphmesh to convert.o files then there was an Oedit tool before in which we edit the shapes by moving the vertices of the existing morphing data manually. after the editing is done we convert back the, O files into something readable by the game rename the files into something readable by the database and edit the main database or save files of the game. This is just a summary you check the link above for more info all the tools are in the downloads database anyway

In terms of testing why not? pm me here or Murat

Roseblade13

Postby Murat on Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02 am

Damn this is really impressive. This tool looks promising.

We can make high resolution textures however there is a byte size limitation for the game (I don't remember what it exactly was unfortunately). It was around 15-20 MB IIRC (maybe higher).

I don't have much time but I would like to test for NBA Live 2004.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:05 am

That's really cool to see, all these years later. Nice work!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dmitry on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:19 am

Thanks for the info.
Do you know which data can be edited in that "Morph" model? Only vertex positions or anything else?
Dmitry

Postby Murat on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:44 am

When you convert it tomorph it basically becomes a model like any others.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ehlomint on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:54 am

I'd also be willing to test for Live 2004!

Any news on this?
ehlomint

Re: OTools for editing .O and .FSH files

Postby Dmitry on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:41 pm

Since OTools version 0.177, support for NBA games (NBA Live 2003; NBA Live 2004) was added.
For NBA Live 2003 and 2004 we have export and import, but exporting/importing morph meshes (player body and faces) is not possible. In .O format the morph implementation is very uncommon - you can apply morphing to any vertex attribute, even including bone weights. I think such morphing was never used anywhere, but in NBA Live 2004 we have morphing of texture coordinates, for example. And in most 3D applications (including Blender) and 3D formats, only morphing of positions and normals is expected. So there must be some special way to deal with it. I think morph export/import might be added in future OTools version.

Image Image

Check first post for more information.
Dmitry

Return to NBA Live 2004