MyNBA Era Project for NBA Live 06

Talk about NBA Live 06 here.

MyNBA Era Project for NBA Live 06

Postby Murat on Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Hi everyone,

This year NBA 2K23's MyEra mod inspired me to make an extensive mod for NBA Live series. Between 2003-08, 06 is the best option available to make a mod. But I need help from people, can't do it all alone.

Here is what I thought:

• Opening day rosters between 1984-85 and 2021-22
  • Automated rosters with fetched data from BasketballReference (Ratings, vital data). I have skills and tools for this
  • Draft classes for each year with at least 75 players with recent seasons having +100 for Dynasty Mode
  • Players without CFs will remain as CAP's
  • Most of jerseys are already available
  • Courts, stadiums, faces and anything related to models will be considered later, I want to work on a modelling tool like EBOEditor that allows import and export of GLTF.
  • Scoreboard selecting tool

It sounds good on paper but once we get to work, it is a lot of work, that's why I need a team. If there are no interest then I can't do anything about it.

Releases, updated 11/16/2022
Net Model Patch
Last edited by Murat on Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MyNBA Era Project for NBA Live 06

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:31 pm

I've been wondering about a similar project as well (though potentially with conversions for 2005, 07, and 08, given the similarities in files). Like you said, there'd need to be a few people working on the assets to really make it viable.

I do think there is a decent amount of assets at our disposal already, at least as far as retro team art. There are also faces for quite a few major historical players and specific retro teams. One alternative with the faces would be to utilise the generated player faces as placeholders in the short term, and replace them along the way.

Honestly, a project like this for the mid 2000s NBA Lives or NBA 2K11 definitely holds a lot of appeal to me, especially as I've been getting into more retro gaming over the past couple of years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:44 pm

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. If you can help I would appreciate it.

Andrew wrote:I do think there is a decent amount of assets at our disposal already, at least as far as retro team art. There are also faces for quite a few major historical players and specific retro teams. One alternative with the faces would be to utilise the generated player faces as placeholders in the short term, and replace them along the way.

That's right, we have almost all of the uniforms, near half of the cyberfaces. Courts are not a problem too with new techniques (you can prepare only 1 texture for whole field without model editing).

What remains are arenas and missing faces. Basically everything that requires advanced model editing can be considered later.

Logos need an entire approach so that they can be automatized too. I don't plan to edit menus.

If we can automate file switching we don't need different IDs for different color palettes. We can do that with a tool that allows user to install artworks according to season, eg. if user wants to play with 1992-93 season, courts/logos would be installed into sgsm for related season. This leads to another feature; users are not obliged to download every uniform/court/logo. Just the related seasons. Maybe I could even make a desktop client similar to what Don Daily made for NBA Live 2003.

Andrew wrote:Honestly, a project like this for the mid 2000s NBA Lives or NBA 2K11 definitely holds a lot of appeal to me, especially as I've been getting into more retro gaming over the past couple of years.

NBA 2K11 doesn't sound good to me, I remember it being very limited in regards of editing stuff. One advantage Live has for me and the reason that I think this project is not impossible today, is that the database files are editable in Excel/OpenOffice and has a format similar to SQL.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:26 am

I think NBA 2K11 could be viable given some of the projects that have been made, but that's a discussion for that section, so we can put that aside here and focus on NBA Live. :)

I had an idea a while back about retro team art packs, with assets split up by era for each team. A lot of the retro art that's out there at the moment already has custom team abbreviations to avoid clashes, so it wouldn't be an issue to keep going along that path. There are a couple of ways to handle a comprehensive pack, and obviously the rosters would have to be done first.

I'd say the best approach would be to focus on obvious details first with some placeholders/smaller updates if necessary, and fill in further details as there's enough help to get it done. I talked about this in an article a while back, but at this point as a community we might have to adjust our expectations for retro modding, focusing on getting the core experience there while future-proofing mods for further updates as we can make them. Getting everything complete in v1.0 is a tall order that can derail the project before it's ever out. We have to remember the UBR didn't start out with all of the content and detail it has now, so one step at a time and all that!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:38 pm

Andrew wrote:I had an idea a while back about retro team art packs, with assets split up by era for each team. A lot of the retro art that's out there at the moment already has custom team abbreviations to avoid clashes, so it wouldn't be an issue to keep going along that path. There are a couple of ways to handle a comprehensive pack, and obviously the rosters would have to be done first.

That's right about custom team abbreviations. However some teams have multiple courts for one color scheme, eg. Charlotte Hornets with at least 3 different designs. It would be really hard to track them so I decided to make a switcher for seasons and retain team abbreviations as is.

I started with collecting uniforms between 1984-2006. Now identifying what is missing. Added some uniforms such as '02 Kings, '99 Knicks, '93 Sixers from archives. There are some missing uniforms, when I identify what is missing, I plan to create them. After identification of missing vital assets are done, I will start working with rosters.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=29298 -> Here cklitsie did 1996 Kings alternate, do you have this?

Andrew wrote:I'd say the best approach would be to focus on obvious details first with some placeholders/smaller updates if necessary, and fill in further details as there's enough help to get it done. I talked about this in an article a while back, but at this point as a community we might have to adjust our expectations for retro modding, focusing on getting the core experience there while future-proofing mods for further updates as we can make them. Getting everything complete in v1.0 is a tall order that can derail the project before it's ever out. We have to remember the UBR didn't start out with all of the content and detail it has now, so one step at a time and all that!

I don't plan to quickly release an enormous mod, I want to make strong foundations for that so we spend less time modifying it in long-term. Database will be my first major focus. Instead of working with DBF 2000 or OpenOffice manually, I want to add players automatically by fetching data from Internet, create a tool to add players to DB and import ratings, therefore leaving minor details to be edited manually (Dunk ratings, accessories etc). So that we don't spend lots of time for each season, we need to automatize stuff. That is why I expect this project to be WIP for some time.

My plan for v1.0 will be:
- only rosters of some years for test purposes
- only correct jerseys and created players
- no courts/custom CFs/portraits/logos

Hopefully this sounds feasible and I could express myself properly.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Murat on Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:25 am

I started creating uniforms today, here are the first ones

Image Image Image
Milwaukee Bucks 1993-2001 Home / Milwaukee Bucks 1993-2001 Away / Toronto Raptors 1999-2003 Away

They are ready and playable in game.

Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Murat on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:39 am

Today I decided to give a break with uniforms and started working on generating player data automatically. I won't add players manually. Otherwise there is no need to reinvent the wheel as we have a lot of retro rosters. Here is the first progress.

Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:50 pm

Good stuff!

Definitely some interesting ideas as far as speeding things up with switchers and generating player data. I'll admit that I kind of like to do things the old-fashioned way to avoid corruptions or any other problems, but that does sound efficient.

I also reckon we could figure out different abbreviations and maintain a reference for it, so that multiple seasons could be installed at once. I've also thought about projects that have selections of retro teams, so it would be handy to have era-specific packs for teams. It would be meticulous though, so a switcher is a good alternative. JSGME would be another alternative I suppose. Anyway, there's a few ideas to keep in mind.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:23 am

Thank you. Today I made a plan regarding courts. I will use the courts that came with only 1 texture, similar to custom 2K22 courts or the ones that retroman did for 2K14.

Here is the first preview, 1984-86 court for Bucks.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:14 am

Came out great! That method has proven to be very useful.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:50 pm

Yeah, thanks. About rosters, I changed my mind. It is easier to convert from custom 2K13/2K14 rosters, as we can export them to excel with RED MC. What I need is permission of the modders. If I have the green light then what we need is Excel manipulation, which is quite easy nowadays. Then import to the game and I will test 2 teams.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:07 am

Another suggestion that Dee made a while back would be to select a few years within a decade to start with, and branch out in both directions. However the rosters end up coming together, that might be a way to spread things out at first - maybe starting with some very memorable seasons that would be the most popular - and then fill out the gaps both ways, using those initial rosters as the base and launchpad.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:51 pm

That's right. I thought the same thing, especially for test purposes. I have 2 in my mind which are 1984-85 and everyone's favorite 1995-96. Even a demo can be considered at this point with 4 teams for each year. They will be the first rosters published with accurate courts (season specific, easy to switch with a code snippet) and jerseys (universal). Then I plan to do different things, for now they shall be surprises.

I need a favor. When roster comes, can you help me at testing and optimization? I need feedbacks from people to make a better product.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:50 pm

I'll certainly try to help out! I'd love to be more involved in some modding again, just a matter of setting aside some time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:31 pm

I plan to announce the weekly progress here every Monday. Here is the first bulletin;

• I got permission from URB team to use their rosters of NBA 2K14 as a base. Rosters can be exported to CSV via RED MC which works well for me. I will use Python and its libraries to convert database to EA format. This might take some time though, I will start with making tables for colleges, nicknames etc. One problem I have is that free agents needs to be populated for 80s and 90s rosters. Andrew I might need your help there. IMO it would be cool to add Mike D'Antoni, an Olimpia Milano legend to Los Angeles Clippers of 80s. Or including younger Arvydas Sabonis in 80s rosters and adding him to Trail Blazers, is one of the what if's of NBA.
  • I am now collecting jerseys between 1984-2006 and made alternates for Sacramento Kings between 1994-2002.

I have questions
  • was it possible to play Dynasty mode with 29 teams or less?
  • Do you have previous versions of 06 PC Project? (Either 2008/09 final or 2009/10 final, pre 2010/11)

Bonus - if anyone still thinks about modding the game, here I am uploading colleges and respective IDs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:58 pm

Unfortunately Dynasty only supports 30 teams; no more, no less. The usual workaround is to have teams of low-rated fake players and encourage people to simulate them, no other option really.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:59 pm

Andrew wrote:Unfortunately Dynasty only supports 30 teams; no more, no less. The usual workaround is to have teams of low-rated fake players and encourage people to simulate them, no other option really.

That sucks. I remember people were doing 29-team dynasties. What was the related file for Dynasty mode? Obviously this is not in my initial plans but I was curious. My first target is to make automatized roster for few seasons.

What about the second question?
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 am

I believe I have some of the older releases in addition to the ones in the Downloads section. The latest release should also have the older rosters as well, though the art won't be accurate due to the 2013 rosters overwriting them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:49 am

Yes I saw the latest releases, but the artwork is for 2010-11 season. I need it for 2008-09 and 2009-10 too so I can use them in MyNBA Era Project, if you share them, I would appreciate it. It would also complete a lot of the uniforms in HQ way.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:30 am

Here's what I could find in my archives: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IoWxHL ... sp=sharing
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:26 pm

Thanks for sharing, sadly, earliest one is still 2010-11 which overwrites every jersey. Thanks for sharing, if you have something like 1.0, or 1.5, or anything similar, that's better, or if anyone else has it, it would be nice.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=73389&hilit=Project

At least this one would do a lot of favors for me.

I also saw dragon had jerseys for NBA Live 06 but they are lost too. That's a shame.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:02 am

Had another look, and found the older releases in another folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bddJUf ... sp=sharing
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:26 am

Thank you, for a moment I thought it was lost. I think you need to look at every single folder you have and upload stuff, lol
If I move to USA or EU in coming years I'll donate to the website.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:25 pm

I do actually need to go through a few folders and find anything that didn't get re-added to the Downloads section when we relaunched it as part of the Forum back in 2011. I know there are a couple of long-lost files in there for NBA Live 2000 at least, so I'm sure there are probably some others in the archives that I could upload for posterity.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 pm

That will be great. Looking back a lot of epic patches are lost because they were uploaded to RapidShare. Dragon's jerseys, cklitsie's, faces, shoes, courts... There was an entire 2000-01 mod lost back then. It even had early 2000s NBC scoreboard.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to NBA Live 06