NBA management game for PC

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA management game for PC

Postby nbbm on Fri May 06, 2022 6:08 am

Hi
I am a java developer and I am working on my own basketball management game (current version can be downloaded from the http://nbbm.info website)

Basically I would like to create something like Football Manager (of course much more limited, without 3D graphics etc)
What you would like to see in this type of game? Which feature is the most important for you? Implemented CBA, G League, historical teams, more advanced tactics, more advanced training, better editor...?

Any comments and ideas are welcomed :)

thanks!

nbbm

Re: NBA management game for PC

Postby Andrew on Fri May 06, 2022 10:41 am

Looks awesome! I'll admit that I've never been hugely into management games myself so I'm not sure how useful my suggestions will be. But I'd say that deep customisation, a comprehensive CBA, and a plethora of tactics/training options would definitely be goals to strive for.

As far as tactics are concerned, I'm guessing play-by-play as in NBA 2K's Total Sim Control might be too ambitious, but would it be possible to perhaps change strategies at each quarter break during simulation? Also, to borrow an idea from NBA Live's old Dynasty mode: randomly generated scenarios that pop up during simulation. In NBA Live they offered an opportunity to jump into gameplay and tackle the scenario (complete a comeback, get a triple-double, etc), but here they could allow you to intervene with strategic adjustments; say, one last chance to make a change to get a victory.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby nbbm on Sun May 08, 2022 5:33 am

I do not really remember how those "randomly generated scenarios" worked. I will have to check it. Thanks for the suggestions!
And about tactics I was actually thinking about something like "play-by-play". After all, it was a bit too complicated, but I will definitely keep trying.

Thanks!
nbbm

Postby Andrew on Sun May 08, 2022 9:11 am

Play-by-play would be awesome if it's feasible. Otherwise, quarter-by-quarter would still be useful. If there is play-by-play, speed options would be great to have too, in case people want to breeze through games a bit quicker.

So, Dynasty Scenarios were introduced as part of sim intervention in NBA Live's Dynasty mode. Originally, sim intervention only allowed us to jump in at the beginning of a quarter and play out the rest of the game from that point. With Dynasty Scenarios, the game would occasionally present us with a scenario late in the fourth quarter, such as a tie game, being in a position to mount a comeback, or having the opportunity to chase a statistical goal with a player. It was basically one last chance to jump into gameplay and directly influence the outcome, with a scenario attached.

Obviously it couldn't work quite the same way in a management game, but maybe it could present one final chance to make adjustments if desired. Naturally there'd be a risk to it, as sometimes leaving the current strategy alone would be best. Other times, it could pay off. Anyway, just an idea that would ape a nifty feature in the old NBA Live titles. Of course, if you're able to implement play-by-play, then it's arguably less useful. In that case, maybe it could be more like a recommendation from an assistant coach (i.e. simulation pauses to give you a breakdown of the situation/scenario, asks if you want to make adjustments).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Mon May 09, 2022 2:54 am

Hi. First of all, I love the Football Manager influence in what you've done so far! FM is fantastic and so deep, so any inspiration about it is great.

Are you trying to focus more on the in-game or in the managerial (GM or Head Coach) part of the game? If in-game stuff is too complicated, I'd try working on the pre-game stuff (planning, practice, studying, etc.) instead.

On Football Manager (love that game but it can be too addicting), I enjoy the depth related to players. Player negotiations, knowing what affects their morale and reacting to it, individual and team meetings, players' short and long term goals, and all that. I find it quite fascinating how my decisions affect them and how the team does.

Player roles, familiarity to tactics, affinity of players playing together would be interesting too. I believe that worrying about player rotations and how they adapt to them and the coaches' strategy is an interesting thing to think as a player, instead of just putting the best players on the court and watching how it goes.

Team staff is interesting too. Hiring and working with assistant coaches, scouts, medical staff, coordinators and even a GM. How they can work with you, they influences on the team and even being poached by other teams.

I applaud you on working with this project because making games is tough and I'm sure that trying to replicate a sport is even more difficult, good luck.
Ermolli

Postby BPDHoplite on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:51 pm

Sounds really cool, big fan of these kind of games, thousands of hours in FM through the years and right now Im seeing what IBM 22 and PBM 22 have to offer but theyre both very flawed
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Return to Other Basketball Games