NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Postby johnz1 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:54 am

phpBB [video]

Download - NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Code: Select all
======================================
v1.1
by johnz1
======================================

=== OVERVIEW / TL;DR ===
- NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition (LOFE) is a historical conversion mod of NBA JAM: On Fire Edition (OFE) for PlayStation 3.  This is the first released mod of NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.
- The best players on the best 67 teams of the last four decades
- Each team is from a specific era.  For example, there are four different Lakers teams:
   1980's: Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Divac
   Early 2000's: Shaq, Kobe
   Late 2000's: Kobe, Gasol
   2020's: LeBron, Davis
- New teams, logos, player heads, player bodies, uniforms, arenas, headshots, shoes, loading screen photos, crowd signs, and more
- New historical scenario Road Trip campaign
- New classic Road Trip campaign

=== WHAT'S NEW ===
WARNING: This version is not fully backwards compatible with v1.0 game saves.  For the best experience, delete your save game files before playing v1.1.  I don't think the v1.0 save files will break the game in any way, but you at least won't get any of the ratings changes that were made in v1.1

- PKG installation method
   - PKG's are installation packages that the PlayStation 3 uses to install games, updates, and other software.  As far as I know, the PlayStation Store uses PKG files for everything.
   - Instead of copying files to install this mod, now you just install the two PKG files.
- Corrected arena media table colors
   - CHA 1990's - dark blue to teal
   - CLE 2010's - black to blue
   - MIL 2000's - blue to purple
   - NOP 2010's - black to navy
   - PHI 2020's - black to blue
   - SAS 2010's - black to gray
   - TOR 2000's - dark blue/green to purple
   - UTA 1990's - light silver to purple
- Changed NYK 2010's player order
   - Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Amare Stoudemire
- Capitalized the menu title of the final Road Trip challenge to make it consistent with the other titles
- Player ratings changes
   - DEN Porter Jr - increased STL to 5
   - GSW Hardaway - decreased DRB 8
   - LAL James - decreased CTH to 8
   - LAL James - decreased PAS to 9
   - LAL Kobe - increased 3PT to 7
   - MIA Hardaway - decreased DRB to 8
   - MIL Cassell - decreased STL to 6
   - NJN Kidd - decreased SPD to 7
   - OKC Ibaka - decreased 2PT to 6
   - OKC Ibaka - decreased BLK to 8
   - OKC Ibaka - decreased STR to 8
   - ORL Hill - decreased DNK to 5
   - ORL Hill - decreased STL to 6
   - ORL Hill - decreased STR to 5
   - ORL Hill - increased 3PT to 5
   - ORL Hill - increased DRB to 7
   - ORL Hill - increased PAS to 7
   - PHI Iverson - decreased DRB to 8
   - PHO Paul - decreased DRB to 8
   - SAC Stojakovic - decreased DNK to 3
   - SAC Stojakovic - increased DRB to 6
   - SAC Stojakovic - increased PAS to 6
   - SEA Payton - decreased DRB to 8
   - UTA Stockton - decreased DRB to 8
   - UTA Stockton - decreased SPD to 7

=== FEATURE LIST ===
- 67 of the best NBA teams of the last four decades.  All fantasy teams have been replaced with real NBA teams.
- 68 new in-game player heads
- Player body textures changed to have accurate accessories.  For example:
   - Anthony Davis, Robert Williams III, Jusuf Nurkic, and UTA Mike Conley's compression T-shirt
   - Reggie Miller's shin sleeve
   - HOU Tracy McGrady's red elbow pad and leg wraps
   - Modern players' arm and leg wraps
- New arenas - and many stock arenas fixed or updated
- New uniforms - and many stock uniforms fixed or updated
- All team logos have been recreated in a new visual style
- New crowd signs.  For example:
   BOS: "Beat LA"
   CLE: "Witness"
   CHI: "Be Like Mike"
   GSW: "Splash Bros"
   LAL: "Showtime"
   PHI: "Practice?!"
- New historical scenario Road Trip campaign mode
   - Defeat every NBA team in their four most devastating losses in franchise history
   - Special final matchup opponent
   - No easy games.  Every matchup's difficulty is set to "Real AI"
- New "classic" Road Trip campaign mode
   - Play as any team against every franchise's four best lineups
   - Every matchup has special rules
   - Only real NBA players.  No fake or fantasy players.
   - Every matchup's difficulty is set to "Real AI"
- New loading screen photos from all eras
- More signature shots are used - even for stock players.  For example:
   - Nikola Jokic uses Yao Ming's sigshot
   - Reggie Miller uses Tim Hardaway's sigshot
   - Patrick Ewing uses Chris Bosh's sigshot
   - Russell Westbrook uses Danny Granger's sigshot
- Everything is unlocked.  No hidden, unlockable players or teams.  The only hidden team is the final Road Trip opponent, and they are exclusive to Road Trip mode.
- Many bug fixes.  For example:
   - DeAndre Jordan was right handed in OFE
   - Stephen Curry was too tall in OFE
   - Gary Payton was assigned the attributes of a big man in OFE.  His dunk package was 'package_dunk_bigman' and loco package was 'package_loco_bigman'.
- Some impossible (or silly) achievements are automatically completed by default.  For example:
   - Sportsman ("Finish any online game")
   - Moneybags ("Buy items in the Jam Store")
   - Brick ("Miss 3-pointers in Road Trip or Arena")
   - Learning Experiences ("Lose games")
- Replaced "Big Head Mode" with "USA Ball" as the default unlocked privilege

=== PLAYER RATINGS ===
- The original game had modern players and legends.  Modern players were rated for the current season, which was 2010-11.  Legends were rated for their overall career, or their prime.  In LOFE, all teams and players are rated as legends.
- Ratings have been adjusted for 4-player gameplay.  3PT, SPD, STL, and DRB have been lowered to balance the game.  With the stock ratings, the game tends to become a 3 point shootout because, with a good shooting release, you can expect nearly every 3 pointer to go in.  Exclusively taking 3's is the most viable strategy for winning.  Because of this, the 3PT rating has been shifted down so that the maximum rating is 8 instead of 10.  Consider an 8 3PT to be a 10, a 7 to be a 8 or 9, a 6 to be a 7, and so on.
- This game isn't a sim, and neither are the player ratings.  Ratings weren't directly derived from player stats.  Players are generally good at what they are good at in real life.  How good their ratings are is usually based on how good they were overall in real life.  For example, J.J. Redick was a great 3 point shooter (career 41.4%) but he wasn't a great player, so his 3PT is only a 6.  Allen Iverson was not a great 3 point shooter (career 31.3%) but he was a pretty great player, so his 3PT rating is also 6.
- Because this game has players from multiple eras, consider the 3PT rating to be a reflection of generally how good of a shooter someone was, not necessarily from 3 point range.  For example, Michael Jordan was not a great 3 point shooter (career 32.7%) but he was a great shooter overall and a great player, so his 3PT is above average.
- Players are rated based on their time with the team that they are on.  For example, HOU James Harden's ratings are much higher than OKC Harden's because he was a better player in Houston.
- CTH is mostly used as an "overall" rating.  Points were given or taken away for players who are especially clutch or not clutch.  For example, Damian Lillard (clutch) and Chris Webber (not clutch).

=== KNOWN ISSUES / LIMITATIONS ===
- Some stock teams don't have uniform lettering.  In order to use all 67 teams, the new team's nickname and the number of the team's best player has been added to the texture of the team's uniforms.
- Some player body shapes (i.e. skinny, average, or muscular) aren't accurate.
- The size and position of some jersey numbers and last names aren't correct.  For example, the late 2000's Lakers numbers are too low.
- Because there are a limited number of player slots, substitutions in some historical scenario Road Trip matchups were necessary.  For example:
   - The Lakers 1984 Finals team should be Kareem and Bob McAdoo.  McAdoo has been replaced with Magic Johnson.
   - The Trail Blazers 1999 conference finals team should be Rasheed Wallace and Arvydas Sabonis.  Sabonis has been replaced with Scottie Pippen.
   - The Timberwolves 2000, 2001, and 2002 teams should have Terrell Brandon and Chauncey Billups.  They have been replaced with Sam Cassell.
- Some new players use the same "SpeechID" as stock players that have the same last name.  For example, you'll hear Anthony Davis referred to as "Baron Davis".  However, the announcer usually doesn't say the player's first name, so I think using the substitute "SpeechID" is worth it.
- The following teams don't have accurate uniforms.  There just weren't enough uniform slots.
   - DEN 2020's
   - DET 1990's
   - LAL 2020's
   - ORL Early 2000's
- Many teams don't have accurate arenas because there seem to be only 39 usable arenas in the game.
- The Charlotte Hornets are called the "Charlotte Bobcats".
- The New Orleans Pelicans are called the "New Orleans Hornets".
- Some jerseys don't have the correct neck type.
- Some arenas don't have the right team logos in the video panel.
- The Beastie Boys images in the menu for the final Road Trip matchup haven't been replaced.

=== INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ===
WARNING: This version is not fully backwards compatible with v1.0 game saves.  For the best experience, delete your save game files before playing v1.1.  I don't think the v1.0 save files will break the game, but you at least won't get any of the ratings changes that were made in v1.1.

- Legally (and ethically), you must own the original NBA JAM: On Fire Edition in order to play this game.
- This mod is playable on PS3 emulators and jailbroken PlayStation's.
   - PS3 testing was done on a CFW PS3 running Rebug 4.84.2 and 4.89.  There have been reports of problems with HEN, and I don't currently know how to fix it.
- I recommend playing on RPCS3.  The game runs flawlessly and can look very good when you bump up the internal resolution ("Resolution Scale").
- This game has a unique PS3 TITLE_ID.  It has been changed from "NPUB30558" to "NPUB01043".  Because of this, it can be installed without conflicting with the stock NBA JAM OFE or other OFE mods.  NBA JAM LOFE won't read the save game and roster update files from NBA JAM OFE.
- RPCS3 installation instructions:
   1.  Install RPCS3 using the quickstart instructions here: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart
   2.  In RPCS3, click the "File" menu and select "Install Packages/Raps/Edats"
   3.  Inside the ZIP file that you downloaded ("NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1.zip"), go into the "Installation Files" folder and install both of the PKG files ("NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Part_1.pkg" and "NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Part_2.pkg").
   4.  "NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition" should show up in the game list now.  Start the game.
   5.  The first time you play a game, it may be slow and some textures may be missing because the emulator needs to build the shader cache.  I recommend you start a game, let it run for about one minute, then restart RPCS3.
- Classic Road Trip campaign installation instructions:
   1.  Move (or delete) your LOFE save game files.  The LOFE save files are the folders that begin with "NPUB01043".  This is critically important because the save game files for the historical scenario campaign will conflict with the ones for the classic campaign.
   2.  Inside the ZIP file that you downloaded ("NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1.zip"), go into the "Installation Files - Classic Road Trip Campaign" folder and install the PKG file ("NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Classic_Road_Trip_Campaign.pkg").
- RPCS3 optimization instructions:
   WARNING: This was written in early 2023 and may not be entirely accurate if you're reading this months or years later.
   1.  In RPCS3, click the "Pads" button to open the Gamepad Settings menu.  Assuming you're playing with a controller, change the "Handler".  I recommend "XInput" if you have an Xbox controller.  If you want to play multiplayer, you'll need to do this for each player/controller.
   2.  Start a game against the CPU to determine if it is running at full speed or not.  Leave fullscreen mode by double-clicking or hitting Alt+Enter.  The title of the game window lists the FPS (frames per second).  You want this to be at or very close to 60.
      - If the game doesn't run at 60 FPS:
         - Stop the game and click the "Config" button again.  Under the "CPU" tab, enable "Enable SPU loop detection".  Be aware that this will likely cause some audio issues, but it may be the difference between the game running at full speed or not.
         - Start another game against the CPU and observe the FPS.  If it's still not running at 60 FPS, stop the game and go into "Config" again.  Under the "GPU" tab, try changing the "Renderer" to "OpenGL".
   3.  If the game runs at 60 FPS, I highly recommend changing some settings to make the game look much, much better.  After changing each of these, start a game against the CPU and make sure the game is running at 60 FPS.
      - Under the "GPU" tab, increase the "Resolution Scale".  In general, the higher the resolution, the better the game will look.
      - Under the "GPU" tab, increase the "Anisotropic Filter".
      - Under the "GPU" tab, enable "VSync".  WARNING: Vsync adds latency, but it shouldn't be perceptable.  If you are playing competitively, I would recommend leaving this option disabled.
   4.  In the game settings, I recommend lowering the commentator volume to about 75%.  I find that it's much louder than the sound effects and music.
- Jailbroken PS3 installation instructions:
   1.  Install the first PKG file ("NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Part_1.pkg")
   2.  Install the second PKG file ("NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Part_2.pkg")
- Installation file checksums:
   - NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Part_1.pkg
      - CRC32: 82230DB2
      - MD5:   7CD87A4E7B60FA77CC95630767B38194
      - SHA-1: 50425D74A0AA63815919B4D6CA9A1CBABF20240D
   - NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Part_2.pkg
      - CRC32: 09E54232
      - MD5:   E835287D36FA47A5AE725EE5FDB75F85
      - SHA-1: ED52BF80F1F9C2AE61777EC655BB221AE7ED24F0
   - NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.1_by_johnz1-Classic_Road_Trip_Campaign.pkg
      - CRC32: AC97A45E
      - MD5:   606D6E19AC81171A81CFF109BDB25CDE
      - SHA-1: 591B5A9D58C2EDED799F0EB7F59388DD81E40A4F

=== FAQ's ===
Q:  Hold on a second...  I love NBA JAM.  Is this real?!
A:  Yes.  It's real, it's free, and it's spectacular.  If you like NBA JAM then you're probably going to love this.

Q:  Is this a new game created by EA?
A:  No, this is not a new game.  This is a historical conversion mod of NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.  You must own the original NBA JAM: On Fire Edition in order to play this game.

Q:  How can I pay you or donate to this project?
A:  This project is entirely and strictly free.  There is no Patreon or GoFundMe or PayPal.  You cannot send me money for this project.  Please just enjoy it :)

Q:  How long did it take to make this?
A:  Took a long time, many hours.  Figuring out how to change everything took a very long time.

Q:  How can I play this online?
A:  This game is not playable on PSN.  I highly recommend using Parsec to play online.

Q:  Why are there players with no profile photo and zeroes for all ratings?
A:  Blank players were added to teams with only two players.  If a team only has two players, then you can't change which player you play as; player 1 will always be the player in the first slot and player 2 will always be the player in the second slot.  By adding a blank player, you can change which player you play as.

Q:  Why can't I change my player in the historical scenario Road Trip?
A:  Every matchup in this mode features the players who either played the most or played the best in the series (as determined by box plus/minus or "Game Score").  The specific players in the game is part of each "scenario".  Consider this part of the challenge.

Q:  I found something wrong with the game.  How can I report it to you?
A:  Before contacting me, PLEASE read this entire document.  If it isn't mentioned here, you can report bugs by posting in this project's thread on the nba-live.com forums or emailing nbajamofe@protonmail.com.

Q:  Why are the 3PT ratings so low?  Steph Curry only has an 8 3PT but he's the best shooter ever!!!
A:  Some player ratings have a maximum value that is lower than 10, in an attempt to balance the gameplay.  Please read the "Player Ratings" section above for more information.

Q:  Why are there two 90's Bulls teams?
A:  LeBron is on four teams.  Shaq, Carmelo, Harden, and Chris Paul are all on three teams.  Michael Jordan is only on the Bulls in this game.  In order to have him on more teams, the 90's Bulls have been split into the early 90's with Horace Grant and the late 90's with Dennis Rodman.  This increases the chances of playing with MJ if you're selecting random teams.

Q:  Why do some players have the wrong jersey number?
A:  Not all stock teams have uniform lettering.  In order to use all 67 teams, there had to be a workaround for this.  Please read the "Known Issues / Limitations" section above for more information.

Q:  Why is <Team X> missing <Player X>?  Why does <Team Y> only have two players?  Why is <Player Y> on <Team Z> instead of <Player Z>?
A:  Unfortunately, there is a maximum number of players that can be added to the game.  Believe me, if there weren't I would have added every player ever.  Also, without being able to edit 'attribdb', the current method of changing which team a player plays for presents many challenges and limitations.  Please read the "How to Help" section below for more information.

Q:  Why are there courtside banners for other videogames?
A:  The 1990's NBA Jam games had courtside banners for a variety of things, including other videogames.  In LOFE, every arena has a banner for one of my favorite videogames.

Q: I installed v1.1 but I don't see any of the ratings changes that you mentioned.
A: Your save game files are probably from v1.0.  Delete them, then play v1.1

Q:  What's next?
A:  Soon I will release a collection of documents, files, and tools that explain how to mod this game.

=== HOW TO HELP ===
- Many elements of the game have been figured out, but there are still many more that remain unchanged from the original game.  Solving these would really take this game to the next level.  I feel like I've taken this game as far as I can with what I've figured out.
- If you think you can help with any of the items below, please reach out to me at nbajamofe@protonmail.com, or post in this project's thread on the nba-live.com forums.
- Figure out how to edit 'attribdb'.  I think this is the most important file to work on right now.  It controls many parts of every player model, including which uniform they wear, the shape of their body, and whether they wear short shorts or long shorts.  Until this file is editable, changing which uniform a player wears is an arduous process.  Utilizing all teams and uniforms for this mod required an extreme amount of planning and time.  I wouldn't recommend it...
- Expand the number of teams.  I couldn't find a way to add a 68th team and not have the game crash.
- Expand the number of arenas.  Ideally every team would have a unique arena.
- Change the position and size of jersey numbers and names.
- Change the color of the team-controlled player accessories.
- Edit the shooting animations.  It would be great to create new signature shots.
- Edit the commentary audio.  I have been able to play back these audio files outside of the game, but haven't been able to edit them.  Existing audio could be spliced together to create names for new teams and players.  For example:
   - "Charlotte" and "Hornets"
   - "Anthony" and "Davis"
   - "Ben" and "Wallace"

=== THANK YOU'S ===
- Luigi Auriemma, for creating and supporting QuickBMS - and for his "nbajamfire.bms" script.
- Artem Khassanov, for his work on TDB databases.  He provided "TDBAccess" libraries and a VB template app that made it easy for me to make the 'bounce.db' editor.  He took time to personally help me get off the ground with this, and I thank him profusely.
- The author(s) of DB Master
- The author(s) of DB Converter

=== RELEASE HISTORY ===
- v1.1 (2023-05-03)
   - PKG installation method
   - Corrected arena media table colors
   - Change NYK 2010's player order
   - Capitalized the menu title of the final Road Trip challenge
   - Player ratings changes
- v1.0 (2023-03-20)
   - First public release
Last edited by johnz1 on Thu May 04, 2023 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnz1

Re: NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:54 am

This is amazing work, John. Andrew and I will absolutely be playing this.

We will upload footage and also more than likely stream some of the action. We appreciate you!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby WillyJakkz on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:28 pm

Yeah this is outstanding!!! Thank you for creating this! Loved the trailer!

Now I just have to figure out how to install a PS3 emulator on my workstation to play this!
WillyJakkz

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:51 pm

A ton of incredible work went into this mod. Thank you for sharing it with us! Having had a preview of it prior to release, I'm eager to start playing v1.0. Congratulations on the release! I know it was a long time coming.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 am

outstanding job !
By any chance could you explain the process ? it could open more mods for this game
sticky-fingers

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:10 am

I'm working on a "modding documentation" package that includes instructions, tools, template, and some other things. I'll try to explain how to do everything I know how to do.
johnz1

Postby Jangles on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:19 am

this is one of the coolest mods ive ever seen. It forced me to register here to say congrats and great work.

However, I have the PS3 emulator going but I cannot seem to load the game. I thought I followed your instructions to a T but must have copied the wrong folder to the wrong location, im not sure. Any help? I am very excited to play this mod. This might sound silly for a newbie but is this stand-alone or would I need the original rom dump to play this?
Jangles

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:20 am

Jangles wrote:this is one of the coolest mods ive ever seen. It forced me to register here to say congrats and great work.

However, I have the PS3 emulator going but I cannot seem to load the game. I thought I followed your instructions to a T but must have copied the wrong folder to the wrong location, im not sure. Any help? I am very excited to play this mod. This might sound silly for a newbie but is this stand-alone or would I need the original rom dump to play this?

Can you post a screenshot of your RPCS3 folder?
johnz1

Postby Jangles on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:51 am

Here is the file and what is loading, as a trial.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jangles

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:13 am

Jangles wrote:Here is the file and what is loading, as a trial.

RPCS3 directory looks good. Can you take screenshots of these folders?

RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\
RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\00000001\exdata\
johnz1

Postby Jangles on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:57 am

johnz1 wrote:

RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\

I hate to do troubleshooting over a thread I feel guilty but thanks for the help. Attached are the screen grabs. Exdata is empty, fyi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jangles

Postby The7egend on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:02 am

Playing this on the Steam Deck is phenomenal! Great work and thanks for sharing.
The7egend

Postby Jangles on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:37 pm

The7egend wrote:Playing this on the Steam Deck is phenomenal! Great work and thanks for sharing.

oh wow, that sounds like the dream, any insight on how you got it working? I have a deck as well and would love to play on it.
Jangles

Postby Champl00 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:57 pm

I keep getting it to run as a trial, How do you have the full version running on the steam deck?
Champl00

Postby KobeSkywalker on Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 pm

I'm also having the same issue, where it's showing up as a Trial in the emulator on my Mac. The game loads, but it's stuck as a trial so I can't play the full version. Any help on how to bypass this?
KobeSkywalker

Postby frankfooter32 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:47 am

I also am seeing this show up as "trial" but the game runs. The problem I am having is, I cannot choose my team. It automatically puts me on the Mavericks and I have to play the Heat. I can move my controller around on all the other screens, but why cant I choose my team? Cant wait to play your mod, looks super cool!
:bowdown:
Thanks!
Last edited by frankfooter32 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
frankfooter32

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:50 am

Jangles wrote:
johnz1 wrote:

RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\

I hate to do troubleshooting over a thread I feel guilty but thanks for the help. Attached are the screen grabs. Exdata is empty, fyi.

You can join the NLSC Discord and troubleshoot on the troubleshooting channel if you prefer. The discord link is in the top menu bar on the NLSC forum menu

Note: sometimes troubleshooting on here can be helpful for other members, but the discord may be preferred by you and others.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby johnz1 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:15 am

@Jangles, @Champl00, @KobeSkywalker
I think this is the step you're having trouble with:
11. From the "NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.0_by_johnz1.zip" package, copy the contents of the "Game Files" folder into RPCS3's folder.

Close RPCS3. In the LOFE download, go into the "Game Files" folder. There should just be one folder in there, named "dev_hdd0". Copy that. The go to RPCS3's folder (where 'rpcs3.exe' is). Paste the "dev_hdd0" folder here. When it asks you about overwriting files, say yes.
johnz1

Postby Jangles on Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 am

yes that worked for me I was putting those contents in the wrong folder it works great now. Congrats on the mods its so well done. Saw this mod from a Kotaku article, ill join the discord.
Jangles

Postby Champl00 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:36 am

johnz1 wrote:@Jangles, @Champl00, @KobeSkywalker
11. From the "NBA_JAM_Legends_On_Fire_Edition_v1.0_by_johnz1.zip" package, copy the contents of the "Game Files" folder into RPCS3's folder.

Close RPCS3. In the LOFE download, go into the "Game Files" folder. There should just be one folder in there, named "dev_hdd0". Copy that. The go to RPCS3's folder (where 'rpcs3.exe' is). Paste the "dev_hdd0" folder here. When it asks you about overwriting files, say yes.

Yes, thank you, yea it was a small oversight that through off everything. Works awesome and got it working in Batocera on my steamdeck. If there is anyone else that is trying to get it to work in Batocera as well. You must also:

1. Make a copy of the "game" folder that is inside the "Game Files\dev_hdd0" folder
2. Rename the "game" folder to "NBA JAM LOFE.ps3" or whatever you prefer(But it must end in ".ps3")
3. also rename the "sub folder" which should be "NPUB01043" to "PS3_GAME" (Must be all caps)
4. Copy the newly renamed "NBA JAME LOFE.ps3" folder you have edited and PASTE the folder into the "Roms\PS3\" Folder on your Batocera SDcard
5. Update your Batocera Games list and everything should be good to go.
Champl00

Postby Kazpro on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:35 am

The7egend wrote:Playing this on the Steam Deck is phenomenal! Great work and thanks for sharing.

Also looking for some help with the Steam Deck. Have the main game running well, can’t figure out where to put the Game Files.
Kazpro

Postby truefaith0826 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:48 am

Thank you for sharing this mod johnz1! Great great stuff! my fellow 90s friends are enjoying this.

Awesome article about this Andrew.
truefaith0826

Postby KobeSkywalker on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:54 am

I got it working with your help, johnz1!! This is absolutely INSANE!!! I'm playing it on my Mac, Airplayed to my TV, with my PS4 controller connected!! The lag is pretty minimal and I'm just over the moon with this mod. You are a goddamn genius, sir!!
KobeSkywalker

Postby Kazpro on Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Jangles wrote:

oh wow, that sounds like the dream, any insight on how you got it working? I have a deck as well and would love to play on it.

This is where I put the mod files to get it to work:
/run/media/mmcbikOp1/Emulation/storage/rpcs3/dev_hddo/
Kazpro

Postby KobeSkywalker on Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:46 pm

One issue I've noticed so far is when you play the Road Trip mode. You can't choose which of the two players on your team you'd like to play as. It's just locked to one of them as default. johnz1, maybe you can look into how to fix this for the next release?
KobeSkywalker

Next

Return to Other Basketball Games