What basketball game is the GOAT?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: What basketball game is the GOAT?

Postby tinpanalley on Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:22 am

skoadam wrote:Gameplay? 2K13.

So despite the supposed dunk block problem (that I've not really encountered to be honest) you don't think 14 is practically the same game?
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:16 pm

The inability to block dunks is pretty unavoidable, but that being said, personally I prefer NBA 2K13 to NBA 2K14 because of some AI quirks in the latter. It feels like CPU players are always looking to drive in 2K14, even spot up and pull up shooters. It was done to make the CPU more aggressive, but it's a bit phoney. It also had an issue where CPU teammates don't rotate on defense properly, or even scoot out of the way to let their man score, which feels unfair. That's actually an issue that's come up again in recent games, unfortunately. They did a good job with the defensive AI in NBA 2K15 and NBA 2K16, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tinpanalley on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Andrew wrote:It feels like CPU players are always looking to drive in 2K14, even spot up and pull up shooters.
Ok, I have totally noticed this...
Andrew wrote:CPU teammates don't rotate on defense properly
and this too. But you see, this is where my familiarity with both basketball and the series limits me. That's a perfectly astute observation that I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned because I come at this without having played these games at the time and with too much to observe all at once.

I can't put my finger on it but 13 does feels more authentic and 14 doesn't feel that different to me but again there are little details like the ones you mentioned in 14 that I have to admit I HAVE seen and aren't great. I think beyond that, I'm letting myself be swayed by preferring the presentation in 14. Maybe @skoadam can find a way to make URB 'Jay-Z-free'. :wink:
tinpanalley

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:41 pm

The little things matter, and can turn us off of games, or make us enjoy them despite their flaws. I definitely get where you're coming from there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to Other Basketball Games