NBA JAM 2K22 TE (SNES Patch) Now Available!]

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: [COMING SOON... NBA JAM 2K20 TE] If Zion Williamson were in NBA Jam TE...

Postby eskayelle on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am

Nice! I may have to look for a copy once I release this ROM.

v1.95.64 update:
So I've now got 169 total players in the game, a couple more than in the original ROM, as I'm taking advantage of some of the unfinished player values (the Juwan Howard, Clifford Rozier, and Steven Tyler slots in the original game) to fit in more options.

Meanwhile, with the Anthony Davis trade all but inked, I now have him assigned to a team.

I'd say I'm just under 8 weeks to release and just looking to keep up with team moves (and maybe do a portrait fix or two) in the meantime. In the homestretch!
Last edited by eskayelle on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eskayelle

Re: [COMING SOON... NBA JAM 2K20 TE] If Zion Williamson were in NBA Jam TE...

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:47 am

Looking good!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: [NBA JAM 2K20 TE Open Beta Now Available!]

Postby eskayelle on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Alrighty... so before the free agency madness begins and throws off my nice, fun rosters, I'm releasing an open beta exclusive to the NLSC site. Check it out here, and let me know what you think.

(You'll need an SNES emulator (or an SNES Classic...), a method of obtaining the original ROM, and a patching application to get the ROM running.)

Can I get a BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!?

P.S. Don't forget to check out my original Double Z Mod as well!
Last edited by eskayelle on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Awesome, thanks for the release!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am

I had a question come up regarding adding a "We the North" banner to 2K20. Banners are limited to 72x24 pixels, so there's not much room for text, especially when you want to mimic an actual banner.

Did a mock-up and compared to some images. Not sure how I feel just yet.

Thoughts? To line up the text same as the actual image would create too much blank space on the left and right sides of the banner and not nearly enough at the top and bottom, making it look squeezed. So I went with this arrangement. Adding more height means needing to add more width to balance, but that also creates fatter characters that take away from the look of the original "We the North" image.
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:36 pm

I think it looks fine as you've done it. It'd be nice if it was a proper fit in the game files, but in a way, I think inaccuracies due to technical limitations is part of the retro charm. Consider how teams like the Bulls and Clippers would have very similar (if not identical) colour palettes in the original.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:27 am

Thanks! I did do some adjustments to the floor shading to line it up with my "GUILTY" banner in the Double Z Mod. The one on the right in the screen below should look a bit better.

You're absolutely right - The uniform palette choices were fairly limited, so the original Clippers' and Bulls' uniforms (primary and alternate) were the exact same. I had messed with uniforms a bit when working on 2K20.
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Looks good to me. As I said, while accuracy would be cool, working within the limitations preserves the original aesthetic while still being an effective update.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kingkhah on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:19 am

I honestly think y’all are over hyping Zion Williamson. I’m a duke fan and don’t think he should have his 3pt shooting so high. I would mark him at at 4.

And the most horrendous of offenses is how y’all are disrespecting trae young. He was ROY runner up and was the 4 player in the nba to lead in assist. That’s the whole league not just rookies. After the all star break he became very clutch sinking last second shots to beat the bucks (playoff team) and well as several others. Trae also lead the league in three points way outside the arc, he made more long threes then steph curry. Watch a few highlights videos of trae this season and I feel liked you’d all agree. If it was me I’d say these should be trae stats.

Speed = 8
3 Pts = 9
Dunk = 3
Pass = 9
Power = 4
Steal = 5
Block = 3
Clutch=8

Also I think you should add cam reddish or Deandre hunter to the hawks if you can. They will be a very young squad next season. As far as the random 5 player there’s the obvious Dominique Wilkins, but I’d like to see a big time dunking josh smith or mutumbo as a bigger random.
Kingkhah

Postby eskayelle on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:58 am

Thanks for the response!

It's actually difficult to tell where the teams will land with all the free agency moves and trades. I'm currently seeing at least 10 players in the game to be removed and replaced by 10 all-"new" ones, plus another 25+ roster updates minimum. That's just as of today and just changes to the beta.

On the Hawks side, I currently have the following either plugged in or setup to be: Collins, Young, Crabbe, Carter, Wilkins. I thought about swapping in Huerter if the Hawks don't sign Vinsanity one last time. For Reddish, I'm honestly trying to avoid too many draft picks (because we've yet to see them in action... picture Sam Bowie, for instance...) and keep to the top few.

I forgot Mutombo was on the Hawks; I always remember him as a Nuggets guy. Depending on what happens in Denver, that could be an option too.

Here's my million dollar question today: The Knicks really didn't get what they wanted in free agency, so I'll likely pitch Noah Vonleh for R.J. Barrett to make the team more interesting. So... what would you guys give for...

Speed = ?
3 Pts = ?
Dunk = ?
Pass = ?
Power = ?
Steal = ?
Block = ?
Clutch = ?
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:23 pm

In regards to balancing ratings, I did a little research into NBA Jam TE's ratings last year for Wayback Wednesday and discovered a few patterns: https://www.nba-live.com/ww-investigati ... e-ratings/

Now, I don't have official confirmation on that being the intended formula, but it seems to explain some of the unusual ratings, and overrated/underrated players. It's arguably not the best approach, and I've also heard that the developers didn't always have access to detailed stats and information about everyone they ended up including, which was no doubt a factor. However, I do think they wanted to make sure that there was balance with most players having strengths and weaknesses, so in general it might be worth pulling back on ratings of 7 or above. Ratings of 5 are also pretty reliable in Jam TE, so players can still be effective in certain areas without hitting the upper end of the ratings scale.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:06 pm

I've been reading through all those Waybacks on NBA Jam, Shut Up and Jam, and Arch Rivals... there's a lot of interesting stuff in there, including that balancing act the devs seemed to do. I'm not trying to get too crazy with either balancing or realism... really more looking to make sure each team has some worth to playing. There will be super teams, but there's fun in that too.

Which brings me back to the Knicks. I may go with Smith Jr., Vonleh, Barrett, Gibson, and Randle. Only time will tell at this point, as I'm seeing quite a bit of roster upheaval to my beta, so Ewing could always make a reappearance. Looking for thoughts on numbers for Barrett, since he just drafted.
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:26 pm

That's fair. It arguably wasn't the best approach and it did lead to some rather strange ratings (Dino Radja, rated nine in three-pointers!), but I think it also made players stand out from each other and ratings of 8s and 9s special. Anyway, just a suggestion. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:32 pm

I think having too many middle ratings hurt NBA Playgrounds as I thought to myself why should I intentionally pick any of these guys with 6s and 7s when there are 8s and 9s? But then I was forced to play with players that I didn't necessarily like or enjoy playing as... Like Rondo
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:53 pm

Like I said though, in NBA Jam TE, those lower ratings weren't as useless. Indeed, that's one of the things that NBA Playgrounds and NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 got wrong with their ratings and gameplay. Consider what's possible with Yinka Dare and his hilariously terrible ratings:

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:15 pm

He's almost the Bo Jackson of Jam TE!

But I already have a Bo in my game... (Y)

All good points, and I did take another look at Trae to right size him a bit, avoiding too many 9s in all fairness.

I'm continuing to keep up best I can with all the roster swaps (not yet in game; I've got a little spreadsheet going for when folks renege on their commitments.

Still looking to make the Knicks a worthwhile team, so I'll sneak back a couple posts to this question. Wondering what you guys think.

Here's my million dollar question today: The Knicks really didn't get what they wanted in free agency, so I'll likely [add] R.J. Barrett to make the team more interesting. So... what would you guys give for...

Speed = ?
3 Pts = ?
Dunk = ?
Pass = ?
Power = ?
Steal = ?
Block = ?
Clutch = ?
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:28 pm

9s definitely should stand out as something special.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:02 am

NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.70.8 update:

Now if we only knew where Kawhi's going...
eskayelle

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:34 am

Kawhi, Davis, LeBron. How do you even pick 2?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:35 am

Good job keeping up with free agency!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks!

It's been a tad hectic, but I've managed to reasonably keep up so far.

Here's the v1.95.71.2 update:

eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:48 am

Awesome!

So it's only one game, but the talk after Zion's Summer League debut is that he didn't look quite as fleet-footed by NBA standards. It might merit a small speed reduction, especially given that everyone can run pretty fast in TE, even with average speed ratings. At the very least, something to keep an eye on as he transitions from college to the pros.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:45 am

But those dunks, though!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby eskayelle on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Duly noted and Lakers team finalized!
eskayelle

Postby eskayelle on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:37 am

NBA Jam 2K20 TE v1.95.74 update:

With Noah Vonleh signing with the Wolves, I've finally gotten rid of my last Knicks placeholder. Out goes Vonleh, in comes Kevin Knox.

Meanwhile, I also found the table of secret players that are placed on the opposing team after you beat the game in campaign mode. So I've doubled the list of possible players and swapped in some more secret players and all stars.

Closing in on a cut-off date for rosters! I'm holding for Westbrook, really, but if he doesn't get traded to the Heat soon, we'll just keep him in OKC and release.
eskayelle

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games