NBA Jam TE - Double Z Mod (Roaring 90s SNES Patch... with Jean Claude Van Damme)

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA Jam TE - Double Z Mod (Roaring 90s SNES Patch... with Jean Claude Van Damme)

Postby eskayelle on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:22 am

Version 4.0.1 is now right here! A project two summers in the making, I started this hack innocently with the discovery of Mattrizzle’s Player Portrait Replacement Tutorial and various correspondence regarding NBA Jam Hacks on the RHDN forums. Armed with this information, my initial game plan was to add Michael Jordan to the ROM, and perhaps myself and a few friends.

Learning more and more about ROM hacking, I expanded the hack to hex, text, and portrait editing (version 1), then tiles and sprites (version 2), then ASM hacking (version 3), and finally sound (version 4)!

Since then, the Double Z Mod has become a quintessential “Roaring ‘90s” hack, with several secret characters from the era inserted, including:
• Hulk Hogan
• “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels
• David Hasselhoff
• Arnold Schwarzenegger
• O.J. Simpson
• Bo Jackson – with Tecmo Bowl-esque speed!
• And, in this special 4.0.1 version, it's an NBA Jamme with Bloodsport and... Street Fighter martial arts legend Jean Claude Van Damme!

Correspondingly, the team order has been updated to follow the season and playoff standings for the 1992-93 NBA season, with Chicago updated for the 1996 72-10 Chicago Bulls roster and Detroit stacked with the Motor City Bad Boys. Additionally, the Rookies team has been replaced by the 1992 Team USA squad, the Dream Team, from players, to logo, to team name, to uniform palette!

Meanwhile some bugs present in the original game have been resolved:
•The Grand Champions attract mode screen will now display certain players who have beaten all 27 teams, depending on their wins tally.
•The injury stats will reset at tip-off of every game, ensuring that the same teams/same lineups will not experience a carry-over of injury tallies from game 1 to game 2.

If you’re up for a good game of Jam or want to peruse the other features changed, grab a copy of the patch and add it to a headerless SNES NBA Jam - Tournament Edition ROM.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!

Download link: https://forums.nba-live.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=11269
Last edited by eskayelle on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
eskayelle

Re: NBA Jam TE - Double Z Mod!

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 am

Awesome!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby eskayelle on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks! Figure I should post some glamour shots of the game and maybe generate me some downloads. How's about these?

Constructive criticism and rave reviews about the game are always welcome.
eskayelle

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:53 am

Very cool.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games