NBA Jam/Street style game from scratch?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA Jam/Street style game from scratch?

Postby jaywv1981 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:31 am

In my free time, I'm working on a retro cartoony style NBA Jam/Street type of game with a mix of today's players and historic players. I've been programming it in Unity. If anyone is interested in collaborating let me know. I used a character creator to create a base player which I am editing to make each player. Using Paint.net to blend in the player's faces to make them match the cartoony look. Then I try to match their skin tone as best I can. I've been using layers and the liquify tool to make the animations and I think with a little practice they could look amazing.

This is the base player I came up with. You can resize any body part and change the color of anything from this base.

baseplayer.png

This is a quick Lebron I did this morning in about 5 min with the blending technique. Could make it look amazing putting more time into it. You can resize/reshape any body part including things like ears/nose/mouth and it would be easy to add accessories like headbands and armbands. I've found some good shoe templates also.

bronjames.png

Right now I'm programming the game as a single player on a court just shooting around until I can work out all the basic gameplay mechanics.

EDIT:
Here is a quick GIF showing how easy it would be to animate. This is just a simple IDLE animation that most games have. I did this using the liquify tool.
lbj.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaywv1981

Re: NBA Jam/Street style game from scratch?

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 am

Good stuff. Keep us posted!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jaywv1981 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:26 am

I definitely will. Here is a idle animation of my MJ (ignore the bare feet...I'm still designing his kicks lol). I made it like an arcady dribble move that you would see on NBA Street...tried to make the ball look like it really almost deflates when it hits the ground on the bounce.

mj.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaywv1981

Postby jaywv1981 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:47 am

One more quick update.
mjshootingaround.gif

dunk.gif
jaywv1981

Postby jaywv1981 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:35 am

The coding is coming along nicely. I have the basic structure down that will work for any part of the game. Its just about the time putting it all together. So far I just have MJ shooting around alone but I can see how the coding will work.

I have it set up in modes. When your player has the ball the game is in "Mode 1", as soon as you take a shot it changes to Mode 2. Mode 2 is basically a loose ball where everyone goes into rebound/scramble mode. If you get the ball back your back in Mode 1. If the other player gets it, you switch to Mode 3 which is defense. Thats the basic logic behind it.

I started work on a young Kobe.

kobeyoung.png
jaywv1981

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Very cool to see it progressing, and to get an insight into the process. I think a lot of us taking programming and game design for granted.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby WillyJakkz on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm

:applaud:
WillyJakkz

Return to Other Basketball Games