Oldest Basketball Game You Still Play Regularly

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Oldest Basketball Game You Still Play Regularly

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:48 pm

What's the oldest basketball video game that you still play regularly, or at least on a semi-regular basis?

For a while there earlier this decade, it was NBA Live 06 PC for me. By virtue of playing it for various Wayback Wednesday features, I'd probably say that it's the PC version of NBA Jam Tournament Edition. It still holds up so well, and I feel that I can dust it off anytime I want some retro arcade hoops action.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Oldest Basketball Game You Still Play Regularly

Postby Dr B on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 pm

This has faded for me in the past year and a half or so since I moved on from my 360 but College Hoops 2k8 was a staple in my rotation for almost a decade. The basketball gameplay couldn't really hold up to the current gen but the depth of the off-season, recruiting and coaching carousel in Legacy Mode was way ahead of NBA 2k for years. I could just recruit and sim 40 seasons and when it was over, just start over again. I used to take some of the fictional players I recruited and create them in Association and continue their career in whatever NBA 2k I was playing at the time. I played that game more than any other single title.
Dr B

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 pm

When I have the spare cash, I'd like to pick up a PS3 so I can play College Hoops 2K8, and some other NCAA titles. They definitely sound like a lot of fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Regularly? That's tough.

I pop on the original NBA 2K from time to time, but it's not consistent.

I play basically all this and last gen 2Ks and Lives randomly, but not consistently.

So IDK, I'd say NBA 2K17 is the game that's on the "regular" right now. Live 16 as well.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:01 pm

That's fair enough. I too have found myself going back to old favourites less and less on a consistent basis, generally because I have been able to get into the latest game. I think that's been a changing trend in our community, at least with the current generation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games