Space Jam: A New Legacy game

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Space Jam: A New Legacy game

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:53 am

Anyone play this? My brother has Game Pass so I already beat it in an hour (I still have to beat Hard Mode as well as Boss Rush as I'm gonna try to get all Achievements). It's solid and serviceable but doesn't really excel in anything imo. It's a side-scrolling beat 'em up in classic pixelated style... a 3v3 NBA Jam-esque game would've been nice? Would've played that a ton online.

This is only 3 players (Bugs, Lola and LeBron... why not make it 4 with Taz or Daffy?) and there's no online as far as I can see. It doesn't have much distinct Looney Tunes charm but it still looks good (kinda wish the characters had outlines). Other Looney Tunes characters appear as "card summons"... you start off with Granny, Taz and Roadrunner and have to unlock the rest. Most of them don't actually appear on-screen (except for Taz so far), but it is cool to see them in classic pixelated style on the card art.

You've got 3 boss battles (and a mini-boss that repeats itself twice I believe): they are White Mamba (the WNBA snake thing), the Brow (Anthony Davis as an eagle-type thing) and then the final boss which is some type of robot where the battle plays out similar to Master Hand & Crazy Hand in Smash Bros. Melee I guess.

I'd give it an 8/10... didn't really need this to be mind-blowing or anything... it's a fun classic romp. Definite areas for improvement (perhaps seems a little rushed) but it's solid. You kind of have to wonder if there'll be another game, or if they Looney Tunes could come to 2K in some way.

Edit: It's also worth noting you have to beat it in one sitting. It's not a Series X game so the "Quick Resume" thing doesn't work if you shut the console off.

And now that I've had some time to simmer on it, I don't think I was hard enough on this game. It's not bad, but considering how big of a push is gonna be made for the movie, it should've been able to compete with the likes of Turtles in Time or the Simpsons Arcade Game (considering it's 30 years [let that sink in] after the fact), but it doesn't even come close.
[Hyperize]

Re: Space Jam: A New Legacy game

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:36 pm

So I've gotten all but two of the achievements that I need to borrow my brother's controller for that will take me all but 5 minutes... achievement hunting was fun in this game. The Boss Rush was initially infuriating but I eventually learned the patterns and that you could walk around with a charged ball which made it a whole lot easier.
[Hyperize]

Return to Other Basketball Games