How often do you simulate games in franchise/career modes?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Never!
No votes
Sometimes
33%
Half & Half
33%
Often
33%
Always!
No votes

Total votes : 3

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:35 pm

As per the title and the poll: how often do you simulate games in franchise/career modes?

In my main franchise/career games, I've tended to play every game, usually on 12 minute quarters. It's never felt right leaving the results up to the simulation engine, and I enjoy the long journey of playing through the regular season and entire Playoffs. Of course, the downside of that approach is that it's harder to make it through multiple seasons before the next game comes out. Since I do like the multi-season aspect of franchise and career play, my reluctance to simulate has made it difficult to truly enjoy that part of the experience.

However, I have simulated games on occasion. Aside from starting a franchise game on the side that I intend to completely sim for fun, I did simulate through a bulk of a second season in my NBA Live 2004 Dynasty on PlayStation 2. Once I maxed out my Badges with my point guard build in NBA 2K20, I simmed through the final 20 or so games of the season and then played through the Playoffs to the championship. After two full seasons in NBA 2K19, and mostly playing MyCAREER in NBA 2K20 to build up a player for casual online play, I was content to simulate the back half of the regular season.

Now that I'm playing through a MyCAREER game in NBA 2K14 and am up to my third season in what has been an extremely enjoyable experience to date, I'm confronted with the choice to simulate here and there. I've achieved the ten milestones to enter the Hall of Fame when I opt to retire, and have set myself and the team up to have a good season if I start using the "Play Next Key Game" to speed up progress. I've also maxed out my ratings, so there's nothing to grind for outside of upgrading Signature Skills (and my avatar is already more than adequately equipped to be a superstar). It's hard to let go of the fun of playing all the games though, and turn stretches of the season over to the Key Game simulation function. I'd love to get to the present day in my NBA 2K14 MyCAREER game and complete a "full" career, but since I prefer to play on 12 minute quarters, that's a tall order to accomplish without any simulating.

As such, I'm trying to hold out as long as I can without simulating. At the same time, I can't say that I never have or never would simulate, so I will say "sometimes". I'll also say that whether it's a franchise or career mode, if you can make the time, it's incredibly rewarding to play through multiple seasons and see the league transform as an alternate reality takes shape. Anyway, what's your stance on simulating games in franchise and career modes?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: How often do you simulate games in franchise/career modes?

Postby coolbreeze24 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:13 am

Cool Topic.

For myself, it depends on the goal that I am trying to achieve when starting a My League or Association. If my goal is to play with a lower tier team and build a contender, I'll sim majority of the games during the season. If by some chance that team makes the playoffs, I play those games out. There are rare occasions when I'll use a bottom tier team, with a star player and shoot for individual awards like MVP, or DPOY and play every game, because the stats are needed for those achievements.

Another method I like to use is called the "Half and Half". I will sim half the season, and play the other half. For example, I'll simulate to the All- Star break, and take over from there. Or play the beginning half of the season, and then sim from the All - Star game until the playoffs.

I am currently playing a retro Suns My League, with all custom players, and I have found myself playing every game, just because there are so many new players to learn about.
coolbreeze24

Re: How often do you simulate games in franchise/career modes?

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:12 pm

That's an excellent point about taking control of a rebuilding team! I've often played with contenders, or teams that I can overachieve with in the alternate reality of the virtual hardwood. If I was to attempt a rebuilding project in a franchise mode, I'd probably simulate a lot more; certainly that first season so that I could get a good Draft pick, or quickly advance to an offseason that's packed with appealing free agents. Choice of team definitely makes a difference, as does mode. Simulating in MyCAREER throws away opportunities to improve your player, and in NBA 2K14, "Play Next Key Game" isn't actually available until the second season anyway.

The half-and-half approach is definitely a good one. It can be flexible, too: only play home games, only play every second game, simulate a week here and there, only play the most exciting match-ups, etc. That's the great part about simulating in franchise modes, and more recent career modes. When they were doing the "Play Next Key Game" in MyCAREER feature circa NBA 2K14, it was handy, but you never knew how far ahead you were going to jump. Once VC came into the picture, you couldn't restore from an earlier save, either. Also, you couldn't simulate a designated "key game". It's a feature that would work better alongside a traditional simulation function.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games