I can't win with these cats jennifer | 2019 Off-Season

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: [16-36] I'm tanking jennifer | December and January Recap

Postby Phil89 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Lamrock wrote:Bender is trash. Imagine Meyers Leonard without the three ball

That's weird because knocking down corner threes is Bender's main strength for me. I guess the developers removed that ability once they saw that he sucked in RL :lol:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Re: [16-36] I'm tanking jennifer | December and January Recap

Postby Lamrock on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:09 am

SHITTY SONICS FINISH WITH LEAGUE-WORST 19-63 RECORD

Buoyed by a 21 game losing streak midway through the season, and a season ending ankle injury for C.J. McCollum, the Seattle Sonics won the NBA tanking championship by posting the league's worst record. They beat out Sacramento (pick owned by Boston), Minnesota, Cleveland and Atlanta for the dubious honor. Seattle's point differential was -10.9 points, third worst in the league. When asked if interim coach Sam Cassell would be retained, owner Steve Ballmer just laughed.

CELTICS WIN DRAFT LOTTERY, EXPECTED TO PICK ZION

The Boston Celtics had the right to swap picks with the Sacramento Kings, which they will of course exercise as the Kings have won the 2019 draft lottery. Boston gets the first overall pick for the second time in three years, and is expected to select Duke's Zion Williamson first overall. Picking second will be the Timberwolves, followed by the Supersonics.

ROCKETS SWEEP CELTICS IN FINALS, WIN 2019 CHAMPIONSHIP

Remember the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead memes? Well, they managed to out-meme themselves by blowing a 3-0 lead to the LeBron James-led Los Angeles Lakers! You can't make this stuff up... Despite boasting all-stars at every position, Golden State dropped four straight playoff games and now face an offseason in which KD, Klay and Cousins are all expiring contracts. To make matters worse, the Lakers would go on to lose in 5 to Houston, who would sweep the Celtics in the finals. James Harden wins Finals MVP as he, CP3 and Melo finally get their rings.

WESTBROOK TAKES HOME SECOND MVP AWARD

Despite posting worse counting stats than in recent years, Russell Westbrook takes home his second MVP award in three years. He led the OKC Thunder to a 58 win season, their best record in five seasons. Finishing second in voting was the Lakers' LeBron James. The rest of the award winners are as follows:

RotY: Luka Doncic (DAL)
DPotY: Anthony Davis (NO)
MIP: Myles Turner (IND)
6MotY: Kyle Kuzma (LAL)
CotY: Steve Kerr (GS)

DIRK, VINCE CARTER HEADLINE RETIRING PLAYERS

Both of these legends are expected to be first-ballot hall of famers. Especially Dirk. Jamal Crawford and Tony Parker are also among noteworthy players hanging it up.

Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard Headline Stacked Free Agent Class

This off-season, a number of NBA stars will be hitting free agency. The most noteworthy is Warriors forward Kevin Durant, who is expected to slither his way to another team this summer. Also hitting the market are fellow Warriors starters Klay Thompson and Demarcus Cousins, the latter of which can only be retained if Durant and Klay walk.. Cousins, 28, showed little signs of decline from his injury, making the all-star team. However, he did struggle in their series against the Lakers. Raptors forward Kawhi Leonard also hits the free agency market. He is also expected to leave, after the Raptors once again fell short in the playoffs. Celtics guard Kyrie Irving was visibly upset following his team's 4-0 Finals loss, but is expected to return to a stacked Celtics team that has another #1 overall pick on the way. Philadelphia's Jimmy Butler is expected to sign a max extension with the team.

Second-tier stars that will be available include Kemba Walker, Khris Middleton and DeAndre Jordan. These players are riskier propositions, as they are at or past their primes but will be commanding the same kind of salary as the elite free agents. Solid starters such as Tobias Harris, Nikola Mirotic and J.J. Redick also seek the big cash. Restricted free agents Kristaps Porzingis and D'Angelo Russell also hit free agency, but will be hard to pry from their teams as both made the all-star team this season.
Lamrock

Re: [19-63] I'm tanking jennifer | Season One is Over... Finally

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:10 am

Zero luck in the draft lotto after such a stinking season! I admire you sticking with it, very easy to lose interest when things go like they did. There's a lot of other prospects in there to build around though. Or hopefully be a sidekick to KD. :crazyeyes:
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby Phil89 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Very unlucky with the lottery results.

Maybe the Celtics will trade the #1 pick like they did with Fultz? Or you could just take two guys in the lottery (I'm assuming the Suns pick you got ended up fairly high).

Should be an exciting off-season either way (Y)
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Please tell me you're going after KD.
[Hyperize]

Postby Lamrock on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

2019 OFFSEASON

Entering the off-season, the Seattle Sonics front office finds themselves at a crossroads.. The team is coming off an abysmal 19 win season, with the #3 and #14 picks on the way. However, they also have an established veteran in C.J. McCollum and ambitions to sign a key free agent or two. Renouncing all free agents will give the team just under $50 million in cap space. Going into the draft, Seattle's depth chart looks like:

PG - S. Gilgeous-Alexander / M. Teodosic / W. Baldwin
SG - C.J. McCollum / J. Robinson / T. Wallace
SF - S. Thornwell / D. Gallinari / J. Layman
PF - Scott / Mbah a Moute
C - Gortat / Marjanovic / Bender

Expiring Contract | Team Option

Going into the NBA Draft, most mocks predict the Sonics taking North Carolina forward Nasir Little, but the possibility of moving up has been speculated.

----------

Sonics Hire Jerry Stackhouse As Head Coach

The Seattle Super Sonics have hired Grizzlies assistant Jerry Stackhouse as their new head coach. Stackhouse, a two-time NBA all-star and 2017 D-League coach of the year, replaces interim coach Sam Cassell. Stackhouse was a top head coaching prospect after his stint with Raptors 905.

----------

2019 NBA DRAFT

1. Boston - PF Zion Williamson (Duke)
A no-brainer. Zion has been the consensus top pick for months, and will join an extremely stacked Celtics team as its sixth man.

2. Minnesota - SF Cam Reddish (Duke)
Coming off an extremely disappointing season, the Timberwolves surprisingly pass on R.J. Barrett to select his teammate Cam Reddish. He joins Andrew Wiggins and Robert Covington in the wing rotation.

3. Seattle - SF R.J. Barrett (Duke)
Duke players go 1, 2 and 3 in the draft as Canadian swingman R.J. Barrett goes to the Sonics. The Sonics were reportedly ecstatic about Barrett falling to them, as they considered moving up to get him. Barrett has been compared to just about every star wing player in the league and was #2 on most big boards.

4. Atlanta - SF Nasir Little (North Carolina)
5. Detroit - SG Quentin Grimes (Kansas)

Miami trades C Hassan Whiteside to Boston for pick #57
I don't know how the Celtics had the cap room to do this, but okay.

6. Orlando - SG Romeo Langford (Indiana)
7. Cleveland - SG Keldon Johnson (Kentucky)
8. Charlotte - SF Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga)
9. Brooklyn - SG Deandre Hunter (Virginia)
10. Miami - PF Jontay Porter (Missouri)
11. Atlanta - PG Darius Garland (Vanderbilt)
12. New Orleans - SF Sekou Doumbouya (France)
13. Boston - SG Kris Wilkes (UCLA)

14. Seattle - C Daniel Gafford (Arizona)
Seattle is happy to take athletic center Daniel Gafford, taking him over the likes of Ja Morant, Bol Bol and Jaylen Hoard. He is a bit of a project, but could pan out well for Seattle.

Gallinari, Jerome Robinson to Pacers for Jon Leuer, Pick 39

In a clear salary dump, the Seattle Sonics trade forward Danilo Gallinari and guard Jerome Robinson to the Pacers for Jon Leuer and the 39th pick in the draft. The Sonics clear nearly $14 million in cap space, giving them a second max salary slot. However, they sacrifice recent lottery pick Jerome Robinson, who had a solid rookie season. The Pacers meanwhile add a large expiring contract in Gallinari and a promising young prospect in exchange for an expendable player in Leuer, and a second round draft pick.

39. Seattle - C Wendell Kirkland (Memphis)
There is literally nothing on Google about this guy. HIDDEN GEM?

----------

Sonics Keep Thornwell, Renounce Rest of Free Agents

Second year swingman Sindarius Thornwell didn't exactly set the world on fire with the Seattle Sonics, averaging 4.5 points per game. He did start 35 of the 58 games he played and shoot an impressive .423% from the field, causing the team to pick up his $1.62M option for the 19-20 season. The same can not be said for Boban Marjanovic, Marcin Gortat, Milos Teodosic, Mike Scott, Luc Mbah a Moute, Wade Baldwin, Tyrone Wallace, Jake Layman or Dragan Bender, who all become unrestricted free agents. I guess going 19-63 will make you let nine of your ten free agents walk! Seattle's depth chart is now as follows:

PG - S. Gilgeous-Alexander
SG - C.J. McCollum
SF - R.J. Barrett [R] / S. Thornwell
PF - J. Leuer
C - D. Gafford [R] / W. Kirkland [R]

----------

BREAKING: Kevin Durant Signs With Seattle

Better rename them the Seattle Serpents, Seattle has won the Kevin Durant sweepstakes! Durant, who played for Seattle during the 07-08 season before the franchise moved, leaves the Warriors after three controversial seasons in which he won two championships. After blowing a 3-0 lead in the conference semis, Durant jumps ship in what could be a mass exodus with Klay and Cousins also weighing their options. Durant is only signing for one year at a salary of roughly $31 million, putting pressure on the Sonics to do well this season. Reaction to this signing has been mixed, with most fans being relieved to see the Warriors break up but some criticizing Durant for leaving at the first sign of adversity. The Sonics have the cap space to potentially pair him with another superstar as well, with names like Kawhi Leonard, Kemba Walker (not really a superstar) and DeAndre Jordan (definitely not a superstar) being floated.

Sonics Shore Up Frontcourt With Noel, Mirotic

Rather than add another star player, the Sonics opted for a more balanced approach with the signings of Nerlens Noel and Nikola Mirotic. Nerlens Noel, coming off a successful season in OKC signs for two years and $19 million, giving the team a rim protecting presence, albeit with limited offense and some personality concerns. The sharpshooting big man Mirotic signs for 3 years and $30 million, a smaller deal than many expected, but understandable due to his age (28) and subpar defense. Seattle is expected to start Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, C.J. McCollum, Kevin Durant, Mirotic and Noel with rookie R.J. Barrett coming off the bench.

Seattle Bolsters Bench, Sign Four Players

Former Warriors point guard Quinn Cook reunites with Kevin Durant, signing a two-year, $8M deal with Seattle. The Sonics also sign swingman Pat Connaughton, guard Derrick White and veteran Jerryd Bayless to minimum contracts. With these moves, the Sonics appear to be done wheeling and dealing for the Summer. Just three players (C.J. McCollum, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Sindarius Thornwell) return from last season. Their projected depth chart is as follows:

PG - S. Gilgeous-Alexander / Q. Cook / D. White
SG - C.J. McCollum / P. Connaughton / J. Bayless
SF - K. Durant / R.J. Barrett [R] / S. Thornwell
PF - N. Mirotic / J. Leuer
C - N. Noel / D. Gafford [R] / W. Kirkland [R]

----------

KAWHI SIGNS WITH LAKERS

Well, it finally happened... Kawhi Leonard is a Laker. The Lakers became the favorite to sign Leonard after the Clippers left Los Angeles and the Raptors flamed out in the playoffs once again. The silent superstar joins a Lakers team headlined by LeBron James. With Leonard in tow, the Lakers likely become favorites to win the title next season.

KLAY THOMPSON SIGNS WITH RAPTORS

China Klay ---> Canada Klay! After losing Kawhi Leonard, the Raptors saved face by signing Klay Thompson to a four year max deal. Thompson won three championships and made four all-star teams as a member of the Warriors and will finally get the chance to be the face of a franchise.

WARRIORS KEEP COUSINS

Losing out on Klay and Durant gave the Warriors the cap room to re-sign DeMarcus Cousins to a four year, max deal. Cousins averaged 23 points and 12 rebounds last season, exceeding expectations on a team that was otherwise disappointing across the board. Golden State now restructures their team around their big three of Cousins, Steph Curry and Draymond Green.

JIMMY BUTLER STAYS IN PHILLY

Jimmy Butler got his max extension, signing a five year to remain with the 76ers for the rest of his prime, and then some.. The move is risky for the Sixers, who will soon need to extend Ben Simmons, but is one which makes them title contenders for the foreseeable future.

KYRIE RE-SIGNS WITH BOSTON

The Boston Celtics say luxury tax be damned. After re-signing Terry Rozier and trading for Hassan Whiteside, the Celtics re-signed Kyrie Irving to a five year, max salary contract. The Celtics continue to improve on a team that made the finals last season but will have over $180M in salary on the books this upcoming season. Bold.

KEMBA STAYS WITH CHARLOTTE

Kemba Walker signs a 5 year, $144M deal to remain with the Charlotte Hornets. Walker takes slightly less than the max to stay on a team with little title aspirations. However, Walker is beloved in Charlotte and is undoubtedly the top dog on a middle of the road team.

D'ANGELO RUSSELL SIGNS WITH THE KNICKS

After a career year in which he averaged 19 points per game, D'Angelo Russell leaves the Nets for the other New York team. Russell's three year, max offer sheet was surprisingly not matched by the Nets, a team infamous for signing other team's players to bloated offer sheets. Russell joins a Knicks team coming off a surprising playoff appearance.

NETS GO ALL IN ON PLAYOFFS, SIGN VUCEVIC AND MIDDLETON

The Brooklyn Nets apparently had enough with this rebuilding nonsense, signing veterans Khris Middleton and Nikola Vucevic to multi-year deals. Middleton, a beloved Milwaukee swingman, signs a 4 year, $90M deal, while Magic center Vucevic signs for 3 years and $61M. While both players are good (Vucevic coming off his first all-star appearance), neither are considered elite players, and play the same positions as Caris LaVert and Jarrett Allen, respectively.

Other Noteworthy Signings

Suns re-sign PF Tobias Harris
4 years, $66M

Wizards re-sign C Dwight Howard
4 years, $72M

Bulls re-sign SF Jabari Parker
3 years, $59M

Bulls sign PG Derrick Rose
2 years, $10M

Celtics re-sign PG Terry Rozier
3 years, $43M

Magic sign PG Eric Bledsoe
3 years, $38M

Warriors sign SG J.J. Redick
2 years, $18M

Warriors sign PF Trey Lyles
3 years, $27M

Bucks sign PG Spencer Dinwiddie
3 years, $28M

Hawks sign C Jordan Bell
3 years, $38M

Jazz sign C Enes Kanter
3 years, $30M

Timberwolves sign PG Isaiah Thomas
3 years, $27M

Sixers sign PG Rajon Rondo
3 years, $24M
Lamrock

Re: I can't win with these cats jennifer | 2019 Off-Season

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Nice addition in KD but I really like the overall starting five. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Phil89 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Obviously KD is a brilliant signing, but that Mirotic deal will be a bargain if he replicates his RL form (Y)

I like the Noel signing too. You have so much offensive firepower, so it's nice to add a guy like him to help at the other end of the court.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Lol Rose back to Chicago.

Any chance Barrett plays well enough to start at the 3 and KD moves to the 4?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:36 am

Long term I think starting Barrett and KD will be the way to go. Right now I like Barrett as a sixth man because my bench is pretty weak and he's a rookie.

Nerlens is one of those players who kinda sucks in real life but is great in video games. He should have a huge impact
Lamrock

Previous

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood