Ideas to Reinvigorate our Stories Section

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Ideas to Reinvigorate our Stories Section

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Lamrock wrote:Rambly post, but anyway

About once a year, I come back and attempt to make a new story, but I usually lose interest pretty quick. I like having a creative outlet and remain obsessed with the NBA but due to the lack of activity in the section, and more importantly, the reality of being an adult, I don't find it to be a very good use of my time.

While I'll probably make more myLeague threads in the future, I think that YouTube videos have replaced forum threads when it comes to this kind of thing. Even those he's abandoned his 2K series for mediocre NBA commentary (if you can make a living doing that, more power to you), AFunkyDiabetic's video series on his myLeague games in 2K16 were leagues ahead of everything I've seen in this section, save for SIt's A Legend Is Born series.

That's not to disparage the hobby. I've had a lot of fun at times making my threads, and people who weren't lazy fucks like me were able to develop and hone their writing and Photoshop skills. However, I just see it as largely obsolete. If they were to add a feature to 2K that tracks and uploads stats and screenshots to a server (perhaps a mod for the PC version is possible?), kind of like what they had for 2K10, perhaps people would be more inclined to post this kind of stuff. As it is, I think that story threads have become obsolete.

Of course, there will always be some kind of following for niche 00's era internet hobbies. http://www.thpsx.com is a website dedicated to the long-dead Tony Hawk series, mainly its THUG Pro mod. Though it's a small community, they still run create-a-park contests and host showcase gameplay videos. I like the idea of renaming the section (myStories is probably my favorite - perhaps we can change it to include Live if their franchise mode catches up to where it was 15 years ago) and bringing back things like Story of the Year. Not sure if this section can ever be as popular as it was in the day, but I certainly would miss it if it went away.

Agree with all this 100%, and it's like what Andrew said: the primitivity of the old games was huge; we had make up stories to match up all the crazy happenings in the league, so it kind of wrote itself in that way. With the realism of the newer titles, there isn't much need for imagination.

Heck, I'd even say MyTEAM/MyCAREER (mainly online) videos are now the move; that's at least what I'm seeing, and if it's a franchise story, it's a one-and-done "Rebuilding the ________" video.

In a way, our dynasty stories were like jobs before we had them.

I do like "MySTORIES" (obviously as a take on everything being "My______" nowadays) as well as "Fan Fiction".

Much like you mention Tony Hawk (which oddly enough my brother just bought Pro Skater 5 and gave it to me), one of the recent dead '00s things I've gotten into is Star Wars Galaxies: it's an old (dead) sandbox MMO in the truest sense of the word, with multiple emulators and servers that keep different versions of the game running. You could be a musician, Jedi, bounty hunter, Imperial, Rebel, dancer, politician, etc, as well as build and customize your own homes among other things.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:10 pm

I like the idea of building on the My(MODE) name, perhaps calling it Our Stories (OurSTORIES?) to promote the community aspect. I think getting "Fan Fiction" in there somewhere would also clear up ambiguity and be eye-catching, too.

Lamrock's post does bring up some great points, and underscores what I said in my original post about it being a different time and not something that's ever going to be the way it once was. It's a little sad, but it is what it is. The best course of action is probably to keep the section, work out a name change so that it's a bit more eye-catching, possibly update some of the resources and tips, and have it as a niche corner of the community for those who want to partake; it's not like it's a problem having it around. That doesn't mean we can't highlight stories and so forth, we just have to accept that it's not as popular as it once was.

Anyway, let's keep brainstorming some names. We have some good ones so far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 am

I think these names are clear and concise:
Community Stories
OurSTORIES/MySTORY
Fan Fiction
Basketball Worldbuilding
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 am

Solid. (Y)

I feel like we should throw something in front of Fan Fiction to emphasise basketball gaming, but aside from that, we're building a viable shortlist here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby dare on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi NLSC its been a while but I'll give in my thoughts. Good points by everyone time is changing and I think everybody doesn't have time to really focus on creating stories and I think that also applies to the audience, more audience find it easier to follow videos or even audios (podcast, recordings, etc.). Today almost everyone wants to follow stories/content while also doing other things.

For renaming the section I'm thinking something along the lines of "Your Story", something that can intrigue or call the audience.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Breems on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 am

dare wrote:Hi NLSC its been a while but I'll give in my thoughts. Good points by everyone time is changing and I think everybody doesn't have time to really focus on creating stories and I think that also applies to the audience, more audience find it easier to follow videos or even audios (podcast, recordings, etc.). Today almost everyone wants to follow stories/content while also doing other things.

For this type of content, I actually prefer these stories over YouTube and the like.

IMO, YouTube has an overwhelming amount of basketball video game content which has become increasingly saturated with copypasta. It's also faster for me to read a few short posts per week than to watch 10-20 minute videos. I also consume so much video/audio from other platforms that I appreciate having a creative outlet for old-school blogging.

I know I'm in the minority, though. As Andrew said, it's a niche community, and we don't need to pretend otherwise, but we can still make the best of it. I wouldn't call this forum dead or obsolete at all. I count 10 stories with activity in the last couple months. It's far from hot, but I'm part of other gaming communities with far less activity that are sustained by shared passions. I'm a firm believer that time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:51 am

Well said. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 am

I think the idea of renaming the section is a good one. Like Andrew has said, the peak of this section was years ago and if we are trying to generate more interest and activity I think a general overhaul is needed (and starting with the name of the section is a great start).

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find consistent time to keep up with a thread. Back in April I started my Brooklyn Nets story and I was having an absolute blast, but with the amount of time it was taking to keep up with the presentation combined with real life responsibilities I just simply couldn't have as much fun with it as I wanted. The thing for me is I want every post to be of high quality and with so little time I couldn't put something out there that I was confident about. I have thought about going back and simplifying the overall presentation, but ultimately if I can't do it the way I want with great detail and story telling I get turned off by continuing with it.

As a collective group we all want to put out intricate and in depth stories but with time constraints with jobs and families it makes this task very difficult. For myself, it might be worth it to continue with a story as long as I keep things more basic with a post once in a while that is a little more in depth, rather than every single time. The problem resides with the fact that I enjoy using this as a creative outlet and if I can't include everything I want, I lose all motivation to even put it out there.

I'm not sure if there is a fix-all solution to reviving this section, but it has been interesting to read other user's thoughts on the matter. It is for sure an issue worth discussing because I feel like we are all essentially on the same page.
Adamb34n

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am

Breems wrote:I'm a firm believer that time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

:bowdown: :bowdown2:

Adamb34n wrote:The thing for me is I want every post to be of high quality and with so little time I couldn't put something out there that I was confident about. I have thought about going back and simplifying the overall presentation, but ultimately if I can't do it the way I want with great detail and story telling I get turned off by continuing with it.

(...)

The problem resides with the fact that I enjoy using this as a creative outlet and if I can't include everything I want, I lose all motivation to even put it out there.

EDIT: Believe me, that happened me with me a lot of times. It's a difficult scenario. With the Knicks I'm posting now, I said to myself at least five times that I would post monthly (or at least weekly) recaps to go through the years a little faster, but I couldn't find a layout of my liking. So here I am, let's try to recap all 82... goddammit.
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 am

As a collective group we all want to put out intricate and in depth stories but with time constraints with jobs and families it makes this task very difficult. For myself, it might be worth it to continue with a story as long as I keep things more basic with a post once in a while that is a little more in depth, rather than every single time. The problem resides with the fact that I enjoy using this as a creative outlet and if I can't include everything I want, I lose all motivation to even put it out there.

The responsibilities of the real world get me every time. I wish there was a way to make a connected story thread that way we could alternate between authors and keep a thread going.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am

TGsoGood wrote:I wish there was a way to make a connected story thread that way we could alternate between authors and keep a thread going.

That's actually a really interesting idea...
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:34 pm

NBA 2K19 does have MyLEAGUE Online, but unfortunately the servers let the experience down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:07 am

A pretty far out idea, but just throwing it out there: has anyone ever considered doing a story documenting their MyTEAM journey? I have had some really exciting games, and my team remains pretty consistent that I think it would be viable. The fact that your opponents are real is perhaps what makes it most interesting, as I feel we sometimes hate to see a story creator do "too well" since it isn't always realistic.

Something that kills it is there's no playoffs or championship; MUT at least does it right where you qualify for the playoffs and then Super Bowl. I guess your championship would be going 12-0.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:54 pm

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well it would really translate to the story format; especially if you're sticking to offline modes like Domination, as I prefer when it comes to the team building modes. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth trying, just that I'm a bit sceptical as to how well it would fit, but it could be interesting with the right angle.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:12 am

That would be pretty interesting, to see someone build their deck slowly over time. You could talk about short term and long term goals and talk about what challenges you are doing to get new cards and new packs. It doubles as a good source for other players. I felt like our LUT 18 discussion thread was really helpful, especially when they dropped those special legends packs
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:07 am

I definitely don't mean to shoot down the idea. I'm having trouble envisioning it, but it's worth giving a shot if you've got an idea in mind. I guess my main concern is that it would draw conversation away from other areas of the Forum, but it could be good conversation nevertheless. Worth a try if you're keen to see how it goes!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 am

Yeah, there's some detractors to it like the shorter quarter length would eliminate any impressive stat lines, but I think if the team remained pretty consistent it could be fun. Evolution players are also another interesting side note.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 pm

I'd say go for it if you've got an idea for how to make it work. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:59 am

Actually I would be interested in doing a costory with someone to lessen the load somehow. I do agree that the problem with it in general is losing interest quickly and sometimes a lack of feedback making you feel like you are wasting your time.
Solaris Phase Two

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't lose interest; it's just that my free time is limited and this is almost a tertiary hobby for me:

1. Go online
2. Play games
3. Do creative shit like a story, making videos, etc.

It's almost like another (fun) job. I always think about picking up my stories (especially my Live 10 one), but as Lamrock said, it sometimes feels like your time could just be better spent. The late-2000s was the perfect storm cause we were all younger and the internet was more primitive. MyCareer and MyTEAM didn't exist either.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:49 pm

As you may have noticed, I've opted for a name change: Stories from the Virtual Hardwood. Different name, same concept!

I've also renamed the Hall of Fame sections, since they were using some outdated mode names.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Id love nothing more than two things, the return of nba live and this section of the forum being a hot thread again.

I think it's hard to compete with YouTube since it's this platform that has hurt this thread but I don't think YouTube translates franchise mode very well because as we know people make videos for clicks and views so the stories imo become unrealistic with trade after trade.

Iam not trying to offend anyone with this comment I just personally prefer a more realistic franchise, iam always tempted to jump back in to the franchise mode updates but since my laptop died I only have an old tablet but iam still tempted lol as I think it adds a little more interest and feedback to playing the game, which brings me to another reason I think we have the decline is that the games haven't lived up to expectations in gameplay I can only speak for myself but each year iam playing less and less franchise mode games due to poor gameplay, if that improves then I'd love jump back in.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby mp3 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:40 am

My ideas for drawing more interest to this section would be the power of social media using a platform such as Twitter to spotlight users franchises or myplayer in a weekly update to hopefully draw more interest to the site in general as well as trying to make franchise stories cool again.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:37 am

Certainly something we could try as well. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:11 am

I see this is still an important issue to address. YouTube videos and Twitch live streams have stole a lot of potential franchise makers from forums -- that is undeniable, but I'm very happy that there are some of us around...
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood