What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G5 @ ORL

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 pm

ImageImageImageImage

In similar fashion to last week's win at Oakland over Golden State, the New York Knicks took advantage of some atrocious shooting to steal another win on the road.

Latrell Sprewell led with a game-high 25 points and nine rebounds, with Patrick Ewing posting his second double-double of the year (18 and 11), as the Knicks held the Orlando Magic to a season-low shooting percentage in a 100-89 victory. With the win, the visitors kickstarted their first winning streak of the season -- after a back-and-forth first quarter, they opened the second with a 17-4 run to take a 42-32 lead; they were never behind again. Sprewell had eight points during the run, including two easy layups in the fast break. "It wasn't pretty, because we needed the other team to miss a lot of open shots, but a win is a win," Sprewell said. "Still, our second quarter was more than fine. Hopefully we can build on those twelve minutes from now on." With Orlando's Ben Wallace playing limited minutes because of foul trouble, the Knicks' 38-28 lead in the paint was key. "Even with them shooting poorly, I think we would have lost without Patrick's inside presence and Latrell's drives to the rim," head coach Jeff Van Gundy commented.

The Magic held a 56-46 rebounding advantage but shot a season-worst 33 percent (29-of-87), including a dismal 5-of-28 from 3-point land. Darrell Armstrong and rookie Corey Maggette combined to sink just 9-of-43 shots -- 2-of-18 from beyond the arc. "I was completely out of sync," said Maggette, who started the game 2-of-8, finishing 7-of-27, for just 17 points. Armstrong had his worst performance of the season with nine points, as Ron Mercer made just two Magic players in double figures with 23. "Ron carried us on this one," said Wallace, who finished the night with ten boards and five steals, even with less than 20 minutes of playing time. "If you ask me what went wrong, those shots didn't fall. It's as easy as that," head coach Doc Rivers said. "Because I think we did some things pretty well. Our bench was active, we worked the glass, we made them turn over the ball. I guess we just had to lose this one."

Play was sluggish for both teams in the final period, as both teams combined to make seven field goals in the first seven minutes. A hook shot by Bo Outlaw (eight points) rimmed the Knicks' lead to 90-86 with 6:21 to go, but New York closed the game with a 10-3 run. "I guess Latrell and Patrick made up for me," said Allan Houston, who was 6-of-14 for 14 points, just a game after his 20-point outing against Atlanta. Marcus Camby, who notched in 12 in the same game, posted just two tonight. "I do not care about myself as long as we rack up victories," said Camby. "We've been getting off to slow starts every game so far, but we've been fighting, trying to get back into every single one of them. I hope we continue to do that.'' The Knicks were, for the fourth time in five games, outrebounded by double digits, but were able to start their three-game road trip on a good note -- the short tour wraps up with back-to-back stops, Thursday and Friday, at Miami and Indiana.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:06 pm

wdt92 wrote:So far an up and down season. I think the age is showing a bit so far with how the guys have a great game then have a mediocre one next time out. LJ would be an interesting trade piece and a logical one. Back then the spacing wasn't considered at all, so two offensively similar bigs wouldn't be abnormal with Camby and Ewing. Defensively it would be an upgrade as well.

An idea would be trying to get Artest from the Bulls to fit your role. Though, I believe offensively he hasn't yet really taken a big step forward and won't until he gets to the Pacers. Rip might be available for this type of trade from the Wizards as they easily swapped him for Stackhouse later. Larry Hughes, despite not being as big of a name, might also be a name to consider for the trade for the wing position. All of these guys, at this time, should be around their early 20s which could fit your timeline of getting younger while maintaining a skillset if that's your end decision following the next few games. You'd realistically also be able to demand a few picks in the trade. You're in an interesting position however, where there's not really a clearcut road that the team is on.

If you decide to try and win now, you have Doug Christie who could help, Jalen Rose, and Jerry Stackhouse all could be viable options as well. You would be still in the late 20s and would only have to give up a single pick I imagine.

Anyway, just some suggestions for options! Hopefully, you'll be able to pick up more wins as the season moves along.

Hey man, thanks a lot for that message! Still thinking what to do. I think I need a backup swingman, first and foremost. Johnson is the candidate to leave, yes. I can survive with Ward and Childs for this season, I think, but I will need a more than average point guard as well. I must work on the team's rebounding too...
× Watching:
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 pm

I'd completely forgotten that Ron Mercer had a brief stint with the Magic. That squad definitely didn't have a lot of reliable firepower.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | The New York Times

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Posting up against Hawks forward Alan Henderson, veteran Larry Johnson initiated his shot with Atlanta leading 34-28 in the second quarter. The Hawks had started the period with a 12-2 run, and Henderson already had his season averages, six and six, on his pocket (the veteran from Indiana would finish the night with season-highs 18 and 10). On the other hand, Johnson missed the shot, en route for a season-low four points, as the Knicks were butchered on the glass, 50-34; their bench was outscored, 30-23; and lost on second chance points, 13-4. With those numbers, you would be surprised to see a team hanging on for a 17-point victory and lead by as much as 24 -- well, that's exactly what occurred at MSG on Sunday. Outrebounded by double digits in four of five games so far, you would be surprised to see a team winning three of those -- well, that's the New York Knicks' record today.

That's when you have to go back to the drawing board. Looking at the negatives, well, first and foremost, it's the team rebounding. New York is dead last in rebounds per game in the NBA at 38.2 -- for the sake of comparison, the Houston Rockets top the list at 55.6. Patrick Ewing leads the team at 7.4, with Latrell Sprewell grabbing 5.4 a game... Johnson is posting a career-low 3.8. 15 of Atlanta's 50 boards came on offense, resulting in them attempting ten more shots than the Knicks... in a loss. Two days later, the team's three-game road trip got off to a tough start when Orlando outrebounded them 56-46; 15 of them were offensive... in a defeat. "We have talked about that a lot. We are winning, but we are giving up a lot of rebounds and second-chance points. It obviously hurts," said Ewing. "Everyone has to be involved. We are last on that column, so we have nowhere to go but up."

Looking at the positives -- well, let's be gentle: as aforementioned, even when outrebounded, the unit is finding a way to get the W's. That starts with firepower: one thing that's carrying them forward is Sprewell's play, who, aside from his conduct issues in the past, is a player that can show you the way in the last two minutes of a contest, and is leading the squad with 23.4 points per night. Allan Houston has also demonstrated offensive prowess capable of leading a team. Then, ball movement: the Knicks are 4th in field goal percentage and 10th in assists per game in the league. They are also making their free throws: 7th in charity stripe accuracy. And last but not least, it's luck. Plain and simple. The opponents are getting more rebounds, but they aren't making those extra opportunities. Aside from Ewing's explosiveness every now and then (primarily against the Warriors and Magic), there's not much more to underline. Fans and front office alike must be putting together shrines and candles for Sprewell and Houston's health right now -- you don't want Charlie Ward having to come in and rescue you.

With Ewing at 37 years old and Johnson not playing at a high level, New York will have its work cut out against a Miami Heat team that features one of the NBA’s most powerful front lines. Alonzo Mourning ranks fourth in the league at 10.8 boards a game, while P.J. Brown (7.4) and backup Clarence Weatherspoon (4.8) are also solid glass eaters. At the same time, the entire Heat starting five is averaging double figures in scoring, with Mourning (22.0) and Tim Hardaway (16.2) leading the pack. "Even will all those issues, we have a winning record. I think that puzzles a lot of people," head coach Jeff Van Gundy said, "but we're just not competing as hard as we need to, specially on the glass. They have great rebounding bigs so we’ve got to tackle that area better. Much better."
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Andrew wrote:I'd completely forgotten that Ron Mercer had a brief stint with the Magic. That squad definitely didn't have a lot of reliable firepower.

Nope, they are struggling, but they missed a lot of shots too. I was lucky.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G6 @ MIA

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm

ImageImageImageImage

In a game that featured a dozen of lead changes, the Miami Heat saved their best for last.

With a superb final frame performance and a key 3-pointer by Tim Hardaway with just 2.9 seconds remaining, the Miami Heat edged a much more competitive New York Knicks team, 87-84. Dan Majerle scored 17 points to lead six Heat players in double figures as Hardaway chipped in 12 for the hosts, who dominated inside (38-24) en route to their fourth win in six games. "Coach (Pat) Riley told us before the game to disregard their record, they're a tough unit," Majerle said. "He knows them to perfection. Down double digits, we had nothing to lose." The critical 3-pointer by Hardaway came just moments after Jamal Mashburn missed a triple from the same spot. P.J. Brown battled Latrell Sprewell for the rebound and flipped it to Mashburn once again, who switched positions and passed it to Hardaway for a 85-84 lead. Down one, Charlie Ward inbounded the ball and tried to connect with Patrick Ewing, but the pass sailed over his head out of bounds, turning the ball over to Miami and icing the game with two free throws after an intentional foul by Sprewell, who then missed a half-court heave as time expired. "They were more aggressive down the stretch," said Sprewell. "We just ran out of fuel."

New York led 35-23 with 7:36 left in the second, but Heat stormed back with a 19-3 rally and took a 50-46 lead at halftime. The Knicks then grabbed control of the situation in the third, but looked slow in transition in the fourth and it cost them what would have been a great win, as the team listened to coach Jeff Van Gundy's pre-game statements and for once, won a rebounding battle without question, 43-37. "I really liked the way the guys battled tonight. We need to play like this more often. It came down to a make or miss, that's how close it was," Van Gundy said. "Tim's shot was huge and they got the key stop they needed." The Knicks never strayed from their gameplan on offense, consistently feeding two names: Sprewell, on isolation and driving plays (posting a game-best 28 points and staying perfect from the free throw line) and Ewing on the post -- the 37-year-old couldn't be stopped as he was on sync on both ends of the floor with 22 and nine rebounds, and cleared Alonzo Mourning out of the way. Mourning shot 5-of-14 for a season-low ten points. "We shouldn't have lost this game," said Ewing. "We blew a great opportunity, but the season is still young."

Allan Houston started the game 5-of-7 from the field, but cooled off considerably as he missed nine of his final 10 attempts. New York's bench was outscored 28-10, with Cliff Robinson and Voshon Lenard leading the reserves with 12 and 10 points for the Heat. "I think we were all a little angry in the first half," said Mashburn, who notched in just nine. "But we came roaring back. We played better defense and I'm proud of my teammates." Ward and Larry Johnson again failed to reach double digits in scoring, with just three and six, respectively, for the visitors. They did share the basketball, though: 24 assists on 32 field goals. "We moved the ball offensively, but some shots didn't fall for us," Johnson said. "We have to work on that because it sucks to lose tonight." The Knicks will complete a back-to-back tomorrow night at Indiana -- their third game in four nights. "We're going to keep fighting," said Houston. "We will try to end the trip on a good note." Forward Mark Strickland missed the game for Miami with a torn ligament in his left hand.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Tough loss to a bitter rival, but sounds like quite a game!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Love the alternate history concept.

That's a rough way to lose a game. At least you were in the contest right at the end though. Keep fighting and the wins will come (Y)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G7 @ IND

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Bankers Life Fieldhouse, the Indiana Pacers' new arena, opened last week. Its atmosphere tonight made it feel like a playoff game already.

In a rematch of last season's Eastern Conference Finals series, Indiana overcame being outscored in the paint and used some late head-scratching possessions by the New York Knicks to take the game, 95-92. "We never gave up," said veteran Reggie Miller, who led the hosts with 22 points. "Our playoff series last year against them was pretty tough. I kind of felt it would come down to the last minute." Jalen Rose added 18 and eight rebounds for a resilient Pacers squad, who rallied from 10 points down. A 11-2 run in the fourth quarter, which featured three straight turnovers by New York, was capped by a 3-pointer from the right corner by Rose; it put Indy ahead 89-86 with 2:28 to play -- their first lead since a 3-pointer by Austin Croshere opened the game. The Knicks had one last shot to tie, but a 30-foot prayer by Allan Houston didn't fall. New York won the battle inside, 48-32, including 15 of their first 19, but couldn't capitalize on their opportunities from the free throw line: a season-worst 55 percent, just one night after making 17-of-18 at Miami.

In the early going, the Knicks threatened to run the Pacers right out of their new stadium, jumping out to a 32-19 lead; but Indiana refused to give up, pulling to within six points at 50-44 at intermission. The visitors led by the minimum, 76-75, after three periods and 84-78 with four minutes left, but Indy showed true grit with a small edge on the glass, 46-44, and a 27-25 advantage in bench scoring. Travis Best and Al Harrington came off as reserves and each posted eight points. Rik Smits, who started in place of injured Jeff Foster (out for two weeks with plantar fasciitis), caught fire after halftime and contributed 11 of his 13 points in the second half. "I was feeling it," said Smits. "My teammates were looking for me, setting some great screens." Mark Jackson scored a season-low six points and Croshere notched in nine for the Pacers, leaders in the East today at 5-1. "Holding the Knicks to only 16 points in the fourth? That was flawless from us," said head coach Larry Bird. "They have heavy artillery on offense. We buckled down late and took advantage of some great looks."

"We did a great job of playing defense for about 18 minutes," said Latrell Sprewell, who stepped up for the Knicks with a game-high 23 points while shooting 10-of-15 from the field. "But in the second half not so much. It's tough, specially when we had the game early and in the final minutes as well." Patrick Ewing was 4-of-14 for just 11 points -- a career 74-percent foul shooter, he is making a career-low 60-percent this season. "Missing free throws. Can't forgive myself for that," Ewing said. Charlie Ward had, without a doubt, his best game of the season as he flirted with a rare triple-double: eight points, six boards and 11 assists. Houston had 20 points, while Marcus Camby tallied a season-best 16 off the bench. "I don't think we were the main players tonight," said Camby. "The only way you bounce back from this is a win on our next game." The Knicks have lost two straight games by three points while surrendering a double-digit lead. "We just couldn't get over the hump with our turnovers. A lot of their points come off of our free throw misses and us being careless with the ball," said head coach Jeff Van Gundy. "We have a lot of work to do." The Knicks host the Bucks (4-1) on Sunday.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Andrew wrote:Tough loss to a bitter rival, but sounds like quite a game!

Oh, it was a tough pill to swallow. This one against the Pacers too. Need more practice on free throws...

Phil89 wrote:Love the alternate history concept.

That's a rough way to lose a game. At least you were in the contest right at the end though. Keep fighting and the wins will come (Y)

Thanks a lot Phil. This mod has saved my life, my PC ain't as powerful as it used to be. Haven't played any other 2K version with this. Wins will come, I'm sure of that!
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm

The free throw mechanics are a lot better in newer NBA 2K games, I have to say. I find that I struggle when I go back and play older titles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G8 vs. MIL

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:26 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Jeff Van Gundy came to the realization that it was time to loosen the reins on Latrell Sprewell.

Sprewell carried New York on his shoulders with a season-best 35 points as the Knicks took advantage of a 14-3 spark in the second quarter to stun the Milwaukee Bucks at Madison Square Garden, 100-92. Sprewell needed 29 attempts to do so, another season-high, but was perfect from the free throw line and also handed four assists. With this victory, the Knicks reached the .500 mark once again. "We've had our differences in the past, but that's water under the bridge now," Van Gundy said. "I've watched his play this season, but I also watched his conduct and I know, and he knows, what he can do for this team." Van Gundy gave Sprewell the green light when he saw Allan Houston and Patrick Ewing struggling from the field; shooting guard and center posted 14 and 12 points, respectively, combining for just 10-of-30 from the floor. "We had some breakdowns here and there," said Houston, "but we went inside and came out on top. We must build on this victory." New York won the battle in the paint, 46-34.

"We just didn't knock down our long range shots. Their defense was on point tonight," said Sam Cassell, who led Milwaukee with 25 points, five rebounds and seven assists. The visitors were more accurate from the floor (54 percent), but their turnovers (a season-high 19) annihilated any chance of them coming back from a 14-point deficit. Four Bucks scored 16 or more points, including big man Rony Seikaly with 16, who signed with the team last week -- he was a member of last season's New Jersey Nets. "I want to thank coach (George) Karl for the opportunity," Seikaly said. Glenn Robinson added 18, with Ray Allen notching in 17 eight boards and six assists, having trouble to get past Houston's long arms -- 5-of-13 shooting. "It's strange," said Allen. "Our offense was better, we went more to the free throw line. Just a couple more treys and this would have been a different ballgame." Winners of their first four games, the Bucks have now lost two straight, and must play four of their next six away from Bradley Center.

Just one game after a 8-point, 11-assist game at Indiana, Charlie Ward raised the bar with nine and 15. "Charlie just had a pretty solid game all around,'' Van Gundy added. "We had more aggression in the second period and we were able to maintain our lead throughout the contest." For the fifth time in eight games, Larry Johnson failed to score in double digits -- he had just three field goal attempts tonight. In turn, Marcus Camby did so for the second straight game. "Marcus has been able to give the team a spark as a reserve. I've been off lately, so hopefully he can continue to do that," Johnson said. David Wingate and Kurt Thomas came off the bench to score eight points apiece, shooting a combined 8-of-10 from the floor. "We really needed this one," added Ewing, who grabbed five of his eight rebounds on offense and kept Ervin Johnson scoreless. "They have a pretty good midrange game, but we put some turnovers on them. Then, we just crushed them inside." On Tuesday, the Knicks host the Portland Trail Blazers (2-4), losers of four in a row.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Andrew wrote:The free throw mechanics are a lot better in newer NBA 2K games, I have to say. I find that I struggle when I go back and play older titles.

Well, I will make sure to try that on 2K20... :mrgreen:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Any chance Ewing ends up coming off the bench?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G9 vs. POR

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:06 pm

ImageImageImageImage

It took a little while, but the New York Knicks are starting to win the games they're supposed to.

Latrell Sprewell and Patrick Ewing joined forces for 68 points and 64 percent shooting as the Knicks led by as much as 30 in a 102-83 romp of the Portland Trail Blazers. Sprewell shot 16-of-23 from the field en route to a season-best 38 points -- doing so for the second straight contest. "We executed our gameplan to perfection," said Ewing, who added his personal season-high of 30. "Latrell has been splendid for us and we form a really good partnership." New York attacked inside all night, ruling in fast-break points -- 20-12 -- and points in the paint -- 42-30. Allan Houston contributed with 17 points as the Knicks rode a 20-5 run in the second quarter to never look back again -- Sprewell had 14 of the team's 29 points. "I was so pleased with those 12 minutes," said head coach Jeff Van Gundy. "But the entire game from us was just flawless. We shot them out from beginning to finish and they had no chance to answer." The Knicks committed 11 turnovers, which Portland converted into only five points. "Your confidence goes up when shots are going in, yeah," said Sprewell, "but my teammates kept looking for me. Gotta repay that faith."

Coming off a Western Conference Finals berth last season, the Trail Blazers rolled the dice and made multiple changes in their roster this offseason, but have yet to find any sort of rhythm with a 3-5 record. Acquired from the Houston Rockets, future Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen led the team on offense with 21 points and seven rebounds, but struggled to find a way to stop Sprewell. Steve Smith joined from the Atlanta Hawks and added 15 points -- his backup Bonzi Wells posted 14 off the bench. Free agency signee Detlef Schrempf had just two points. "Credit where credit's due," said Portland head coach Mike Dunleavy. "They swept the floor with us in that second quarter, and then maintained that lead for the entire second half. We must find a way to regroup." Portland only had an advantage on the glass -- 43-36; they failed to replicate that on their scoring. "We never found a way to match their intensity," said Rasheed Wallace, who was limited to a season-low nine points. "We've got to find a way to reach that extra gear for the second half of games."

Both Charlie Ward and Larry Johnson were scoreless for the Knicks, but the rest of the squad made up for them -- above all, Marcus Camby's off the bench presence -- as the team ended up shooting 54 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3-point land. The Blazers were sub-par, making just 40 percent from the floor and 26 percent from beyond the arc; Wallace and Damon Stoudamire combined for just 3-of-17 shots. "Eleven and eight as a reserve? You can't ask for more than that," Van Gundy said of Camby. "With that body and that height, he can do it. He was aggressive on both ends of the floor, and that's the attitude we are looking for." Ward reached double-digits on assists for the third straight game, with 12, four rebounds and five steals -- New York assisted on 30 of its 42 field goals. "I think we played better than we had against the Bucks," said Ward. "Hopefully we can keep this momentum going." The Knicks complete a back-to-back tomorrow night by visiting the New Jersey Nets (2-4), before starting a four-game homestand.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Andrew wrote:Any chance Ewing ends up coming off the bench?

Zero. Too big of a legend. Dudley and Lang are useless, they won't cut it, and Larry Johnson will probably leave. So I need that rebounding and presence.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Good to hear. It was definitely awkward to see it happen a couple of years later in Orlando.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Sprewell is finding some nice form (Y)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Murat on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 pm

cavs4872 wrote:
Murat wrote:these kids don't know the days when thierry had +40 failed dynasty stories.

What? I was a member of this site before you. :lol:

no, I didn't mention you as "kids" :lol:
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G10 @ NJ

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:45 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Allan Houston made sure that the wins in the cross-river rivalry between Knicks and Nets stayed in Manhattan.

Riding a 20-8 run to close the first quarter, New York never looked back again as Houston tallied a season-best 30 points in a 102-88 win over New Jersey -- Houston also had five rebounds and six assists. The team is also finding a way to rack up victories, clinching their third straight. "We just kept playing to our strengths and it worked out great," said Houston. "We know we can score by either getting the ball inside or getting the ball to me or Latrell (Sprewell) on isolations, so, there we went." Patrick Ewing scored 14 of his 20 points after halftime, helping the Knicks maintain their lead and finish 3-2 in an exhausting five-games-in-seven-nights run. "They played through that fatigue," said head coach Jeff Van Gundy of his players. "We got a big lead early and Patrick helped in the second half for us to control the pace of the contest." Sprewell notched in 22 and five dimes, making three Knicks with 20 points or more as the visitors enjoyed a 18-6 edge in fast break points and led by as much as 17. "Offense in the first half, defense in the second," said Sprewell. "I think we guarded them well and that was crucial."

New Jersey started the game with a 8-2 spark but weren't able to lead again after that -- Houston limited Kerry Kittles to a season-worst 10 points with veteran Johnny Newman posting 10 of his own off the bench, but they combined for 6-of-19 shooting, with the Nets shooting just 40 percent from the field as an unit. They were also outscored in the paint, 50-26. "It sucks because those are the shots that we usually attempt", said Keith Van Horn, who contributed with 14 points and nine rebounds but shot only 5-for-14. "Despite our record, we weren't trying anything different. But they crushed us inside and it is always hard to counter that." Stephon Marbury led their attack with 24 points and four assists, as New Jersey's reserves won 20-12 -- Lucious Harris notched in seven points. It was a balanced battle in the glass -- 44-43 for the hosts -- but the Nets had 15 turnovers, six by Kendall Gill and four by Marbury. "They did a great job of mounting the pressure on us early on,'' added Gill, who scored 16. "They played harder than us, plain and simple.'' Jim McIlvaine had four points and a game-high 12 boards for the Nets, playing without Sherman Douglas, who sat out with knee tendinitis.

"This helps a lot in building your confidence," said Larry Johnson, who scored 12 for New York in the evening and reached double digits in scoring for the first time in five games. "It always feels nice to win three in a row." Johnson had seven of his 12 points in the second period, as the Knicks transformed a 6-point first quarter lead into a 15-point intermission advantage. The Knicks shot 51 percent or better from the field and 42 percent or better from 3-point land for the second straight game, and have won five of their last seven after starting the season at 1-2. "Five games in seven days, that's what you get with the schedule, so it was key for us to get off to a good start tonight," said Charlie Ward, who showed his jack-of-all-trades skillset with six points, eight rebounds, eight assists and six steals. "Our scoring in the paint won the game for us. We're really coming along and learning from one another." The Knicks now host four straight battles at Madison Square Garden, against Orlando, Detroit, Golden State and Toronto.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Andrew wrote:Good to hear. It was definitely awkward to see it happen a couple of years later in Orlando.

I need him to go out in a high note.

Phil89 wrote:Sprewell is finding some nice form (Y)

Yes he is. A reliable scorer. Houston has some games where he shoots poorly, but bounces back like this last game...

Murat wrote:no, I didn't mention you as "kids" :lol:

Just forget about it. :lol:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 pm

It's starting to come together. Hope the momentum can continue!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | The New York Times

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:53 pm

The New York Knicks are headed back to Madison Square Garden to host a four-game run that includes a four-day rest, and it couldn't come at a better time. Fresh off a big victory on the road versus their cross-river rivals, the New Jersey Nets, and with the team winning five of their last seven contests, there were some great signs in the last couple of games that has Knicks fans hoping for even better times. Under coach Jeff Van Gundy's vision, and despite being the NBA's worst rebounders (42.5), the squad has cemented a grit-and-grind identity, with the 6th best defense (90.5 points allowed) and 5th most efficient offense in the league (.471% from the field). They are also top five in steals per game (8.5) and less turnovers per game (12.4). Come playoff time, the Knicks might be the team no one wants to play.

The homestand starts tomorrow night against Darrell Armstrong and the Magic (5-3) -- ten days ago, New York needed Orlando to forget how to score, as the hosts shot a season-low 33 percent from the field to steal a win in Florida; but with the team starting to gel, it looks like this one will be a little different. The Magic couldn't do anything other than give the ball to Ron Mercer to keep them in game, as Armstrong and Corey Maggette combined for 9-of-43 from the field and 2-of-18 from beyond the 3-point line. With Bo Outlaw struggling and Mercer out with a sprained knee, this game is a perfect occasion for Larry Johnson to start getting buckets; his lack of scoring this season has provided gasoline for criticism.

At 1-6 today, the Detroit Pistons are the worst team in the East and enter MSG on Sunday. They are an athletic team with a developing young backcourt, but nothing has materialized for them so far; they don't know how to close games, as four of those six losses came by seven points or less. Coach Alvin Gentry is not happy: they are 0-3 on the road and have the 6th worst offense in the league at 92.6, despite having the NBA's best scoring duo on Grant Hill (29.9) and Jerry Stackhouse (24.9); that leaves the rest of the roster, save for Christian Laettner's 9.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game, as a negative, night in, night out. The Pistons must play the undefeated Utah Jazz (7-0) before this one, so expect them to show up with low confidence. A win for them here could do wonders, as they play six of their following eight at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Then, it's Golden State (1-8) time. Like the Pistons, the worst team in their conference; no one expects them to be good this season, as their record shows, but the Knicks did in Oakland what they did in Florida: they needed an atrocious shooting performance to come back from 13 points down and take a win on the road, as the Warriors wasted a pretty good game from Mookie Blaylock (26 points, seven assists) in the process. But again, New York looks much more confident this time around. Golden State does have some interesting young talent in Antawn Jamison and Larry Hughes, but the team has dealt with a number of injuries so far, as Vonteego Cummings (strained MCL), Erick Dampier (strained elbow) and Billy Owens (sore back) have all missed time. The problem is, even when healthy, they are still going to be dreadful and the Knicks should have no problems dispatching them -- this time more convincingly.

A game against Toronto (5-4) closes the homestand, and here is where it gets tricky, as the teams have their biggest weapons at the same positions. That obviously starts at the wings, as Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston will clash with Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, and then extends to center, where Patrick Ewing and Antonio Davis are solid veterans who can score and rebound the ball. The Raptors have the 3rd best defense in the league at 86.7, but need to replicate that on their scoring (17th on points per game, 20th in field goal accuracy). Still, we are probably some time away from being able to properly evaluate the Raps, as Davis was acquired in the offseason from Indiana and Muggsy Bogues and long range sharpshooter Dell Curry were added as free agents. Give them some time to mold, and they could make some noise as the season progresses.
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Andrew wrote:It's starting to come together. Hope the momentum can continue!

Thanks 'Drew! Pistons and Warriors are struggling, the games look easy but I can't take them for granted. Fingers crossed!
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

What If...? | NYK 1999-2000: We Still Believe | G11 vs. ORL

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:14 pm

ImageImageImageImage

By the numbers: eight.

The 8th leading scorer in the NBA, Latrell Sprewell, had 22 points or more for the eighth straight game as New York led by as much as 20 in a 95-88 wire-to-wire triumph over Orlando. The Knicks, who won four straight games and for the sixth time in eight contests, transformed a 12-point first quarter lead into a 20-point halftime advantage and never looked back again -- the Magic rallied back but couldn't come any closer than five as Sprewell held them off with 16 of his 28 after intermission. "Latrell carried us once again," said Allan Houston, who led the Knicks with 30 points in an emotional win over rivals New Jersey two nights ago but struggled with his shot as he made 5-of-17 for 15 points. "Everybody rallied behind him and we truly needed him in the second half." Rookie Corey Maggette's jumper brought the Magic within 88-83, but the Knicks grabbed an offensive rebound off a missed hook shot by Patrick Ewing; Chris Childs then found Sprewell wide open for a 3-pointer and an 8-point cushion with 1:47 left. "That first half was about as good as we've played this season," head coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "But in the second half, we gave them everything they wanted and we can't let that happen."

The visitors were led by Maggette, who went 8-for-29 from the field, including 1-of-10 from 3-point land, and finished with 19 points. Maggette shot a combined 2-of-22 from long range in the Magic's two losses to the Knicks. "It's been a challenge," said Maggette. "I can't find any consistency but the season is still young. I just need to continue working on those long jumpers." Darrell Armstrong notched in 18 points and four assists, but had six of Orlando's 11 turnovers; Chucky Atkins came off the bench to score 10 as his backup. Orlando's bench stunned New York's, 36-24, but it was not enough. "Our reserves came in and gave us the spark that we needed to come back," said Ben Wallace, "but we ran out of gas and rushed some shots." Matt Harpring, who started in place of injured Ron Mercer, had 10 points, three assists and season-highs of 10 rebounds and four blocks, but with Wallace and Bo Outlaw being non-factors, the Magic were outscored in the paint, 50-28, and outrebounded, 52-43.

The Magic propelled themselves to a 18-4 run to start the second half, but Ewing (15 points and ten boards) held both Wallace and Outlaw to single digits (a total of nine points and eight boards). At 89.2, the Knicks have the NBA's 6th best defense. "We held them to 31 points in the second half and we couldn't get the win," said coach Doc Rivers. "They did a superb job early and we couldn't counter that." With Larry Johnson struggling -- fouling out with 2:23 left in the game and finishing with just five points and seven rebounds -- Marcus Camby was able to post a strong game for the Knicks: going 4-for-4 from the floor in the second half, he contributed with 11 points, eight rebounds, three steals and three rejections. "He played great," Van Gundy added. "He knows how to do a lot of things and that's really important for a young player." Childs had seven points, four assists and two steals as a reserve for New York, as Charlie Ward had four and five. "We've got to make sure we don't relax after halftime," Ward said. New York plays three more games at Madison Square Garden before a back-to-back at Washington and Dallas.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood