The Last Stand: An Allen Iverson Story - NBA2K10

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

The Last Stand: An Allen Iverson Story - NBA2K10

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:27 am

In the NBA, championships and dynasties are dictated by superstars. Whether they are conglomerates or single entities, the big-time superstars bring excitement, highlights, and wins to the audiences of the NBA.

The names of these superstars are forever imprinted in the annals of NBA history. In retrospect, other than the legendary Michael Jordan, no modern day superstar was as deadly and entertaining with the basketball as Allen Iverson.

Allen Iverson made a name for himself in the NBA as a little man with a big heart. The strength of his will and his slightness of frame made for an interesting contrast that ultimately combined to create an icon and inspiration for audiences.

Despite his small stature, there was nobody during Allen Iverson's prime who was a more lethal scorer than he. Similar to Shaquille O'Neal's dominance using strength, Allen Iverson was deadly using his speed.

With a streaky but lethal jumper and a myriad of crossovers and acrobatic skills, Allen Iverson became a household name for both his entertainment value and his ability to win, despite not playing with the most skilled offensive players.

Probably his most talented co-star in all his years with the 76ers was Dikembe Mutombo, and the man was no offensive juggernaut. With an aging defensive beast and a myriad of nearly competent role players surrounding him, Allen Iverson was able to carry his team to the finals, and garner the MVP of the regular season while doing so.

However, despite his many scoring titles, the coveted MVP title, and his numerous playoff pushes utilizing weaker talent, Allen Iverson garnered the reputation of "team cancer" and "locker room liability" as his career slowed down, and ultimately fizzled.

Iverson had one good shot at a title, making the 2001 NBA Finals against the vaunted LA Lakers. He dominated game one, scoring 48 points and shocking the basketball world as the Sixers took down the Lakers 107-101 and handing LA their first playoff loss of the season. It all went downhill from there, however, as the Sixers were swept the rest of the way despite a heroic effort from Iverson, who averaged 35.6 points for the series. And then, as quickly as the Sixers had approached the summit, they faded back to obscurity, failing to get past the Eastern Conference Semifinals in either of the next two seasons. AI's shot disappeared as quickly as it had come.

Iverson reached a crossoroads in his career in the summer of 2009. His multi year contract, signed with the 76ers and played out with the Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons this past season had now expired. But for the first time in his career, Iverson was not sought after. The NBA draft had come and gone, and the first week of free agency without so much as a phone call. This eventually led to signing with the Grizzlies, being waived and signing with the 76ers for a handful of games before retiring from the NBA.

And that is what this story will aim to fix. Can Iverson finally get the championship that eluded him and to reach the summit of basketball? Or will it peter out the same way as his real life career did? Either way it is not going to be easy.

But one thing is for sure, this is Iverson's Last Stand.

Platform: NBA2K10 PC
Rosters: 2009-10 Opening Night
Sliders:
Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Draft Class: 2009 and 2010 Draft
Season Length: 82 Games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On
Progressive Fatigue: On
Player Roles: On
Team Chemistry: On
CPU Trades: On
Trade Override: Off
Last edited by RMJH4 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

News Articles and Storyline

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:29 am

Last edited by RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:19 am, edited 8 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Schedule 2009/10

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:31 am

Last edited by RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Allen Iverson Career Retrospective.

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:37 am

Allen Iverson Career Retrospective.

• June 1996: Iverson is drafted with the first overall pick of the NBA draft by the Philadelphia 76ers.

• May 1997: Iverson is Rookie of the Year after averaging 23.5 points, including a 50-point game against Cleveland.

• August 1997: Iverson is arrested on drug and gun possession charges after the car he was riding in was pulled over for speeding in Virginia. He was sentenced to probation and 100 hours of
community service.

• July 1998: Two of Iverson's friends in Virginia borrowed his Mercedes and were pulled over on drug charges. Iverson was not charged.

• January 1999: Iverson signs a six-year, $70 million contract extension with the 76ers.

• May 1999: Iverson wins his first scoring title, averaging 26.8 points.

• October 2000: Iverson draws criticism and a rebuke from NBA commissioner David Stern for an unreleased rap album containing lyrics derogatory toward woman and gays.

• April 2001: A year after being nearly traded, Iverson wins his second scoring title and is named league MVP after averaging 31.1 points. He leads the Sixers to the NBA Finals, where they lost to
the Los Angeles Lakers.

• November 2001: Already in the middle of a 10-year, $50 million endorsement deal, Iverson signs a lifetime contract extension with Reebok.

• October 2002: Rashan R. Langeford, a friend of Iverson who had been in his wedding, is shot and killed in Virginia. Iverson wears a black armband in his honor and taps it before every free throw.

• April 2002: Iverson wins his third scoring title, averaging 31.4 points per game.

• May 2002: After being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Boston Celtics, Iverson holds a press conference in which he lashes out at critics complaining about his practice habits. "I'm supposed to be the franchise player and we're in here talking about practice," he said, becoming more incredulous as the interview went on. "Not a game, we're talking about practice. How silly is that?"

• July 2002: Iverson allegedly threatens two men with a gun while looking for his wife following a domestic dispute. All 14 counts against him are later dropped or dismissed.

• May 2003: Sixers coach Larry Brown, who frequently clashed with his mercurial star, resigns from the club to coach the Detroit Pistons. Brown is replaced by Randy Ayers, who is fired midway
through the next season.

• In the latter part of the 2003-04 NBA season, Allen faced many difficulties with the disciplinarian, interim head coach Chris Ford. He was even suspended for not attending practice sessions. Allen did not play in 34 games, and ‘Sixers’ missed the postseason.

• In 2004, he led the roster for the US Olympic Team along with Tim Duncan and Stephon Marbury. The team competed in the 2004 ‘Athens Olympics’ and won the bronze medal.

• In the 2004-05 season, the ‘Philadelphia 76ers’ came back to form under the guidance of new coach, Jim O'Brien. The team also recruited Andre Iguodala and All-Star forward Chris Webber.

• In the 2004-05 season, he earned his fourth NBA scoring title as he averaged 31 points and eight assists per game. However, the team lost in the first round to ‘Detroit Pistons,’ which was now coached by Larry Brown.
After one season, Coach Jim O'Brien was fired due to his disagreements with the players. Maurice Cheeks was appointed as the new coach, a move that Iverson welcomed.

• In the 2005-2006 season, he averaged 33.0 points per game. However, his team missed the playoffs, a second miss in three years.

• He started the 2006-2007 season on a bad note and it was alleged that he demanded a trade. He was not allowed to play any more games that season.

• December 19, 2006, he was traded with the ‘Denver Nuggets.’ In his first game with the team, he scored 22 points and 10 assists. ‘The Nuggets’ lost that game to the ‘Sacramento Kings.’

• November 3, 2008, the ‘Denver Nuggets’ traded him with the ‘Detroit Pistons.’ Following this, he changed his jersey number from three to one.

• April 3, 2009, Detroit Pistons’ President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced that Iverson would not play for the rest of the 2008-2009 season.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Tweet twist: Where's Iverson going?

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:50 am

Tweet twist: Where's Iverson going?

Chris Sheridan19 Aug, 2009

Are Miami, New York and Charlotte the teams that Allen Iverson is interested in signing with? Yes, according to a post on Iverson's Twitter account on Tuesday.

"My people just informed me that we are getting close to a deal. I asked them to call me when its done. I am so ready to know!" said a post on Iverson's Twitter account late Wednesday morning.

The next post, 18 minutes later, said, "I have not been this eager with anticipation since the night before the NBA Draft in 96. Then I knew where I was going, now I want to know."

So, what's the deal?

Are the Heat, Knicks or Bobcats legitimately interested in the eight-time All-Star coming off the worst season of his career? And what about the Los Angeles Clippers and Memphis Grizzlies, two other teams that have been linked to Iverson this summer?

We have some answers, based upon conversations with league executives and other NBA sources.

But first, here's another look at posts from Tuesday on Iverson's Twitter account:

• "If you think that I am just going away-Think again! I am getting ready for the NBA season. Waiting for the call. Charlotte, Miami, NY."

• "Getting in shape, running, lifting and thinking about which team that I will help compete for a championship! Whoever gets me will be happy."

• "I have had a year to get ready, my back is fine now don't worry. When you see me again you will think that I am fresh out of Georgetown!"

• "I have heard all of the doubters, but they should know that I will not be broken and I will remain true to my fans."

Charlotte
"There are financial factors, and there's also the problem of the availability of minutes in our rotation with Ray [Felton, a restricted free agent], Raja [Bell] and D.J. [Augustin] -- and those are a couple of major obstacles we're trying to overcome," Bobcats coach Larry Brown told ESPN.com Tuesday. "But at the end of the day, I want to help him, and it might be as his coach again. We'll have to wait and see."

Translation: With the franchise up for sale, it won't be easy for Brown and team executive Michael Jordan to convince owner Bob Johnson to make Iverson a financial offer that would not be considered insulting to a player of Iverson's stature. The guard made $21.14 million last season with the Denver Nuggets and the Detroit Pistons, but the Bobcats' offer would be much closer to the league minimum, which is $1.306 million for players with 10 or more years of experience.

More from Brown: "I've spoken to a lot of people on his behalf, because last year was a difficult situation for him being put in where he was, replacing Chauncey Billups. That would have been a difficult situation for anybody. But I know he's comfortable with me, and we've had a lot of discussions. When he played for me was probably when he played his best. Would I like to coach him again? Absolutely."

New York
The Knicks were in touch with Iverson's camp early in free agency, and a source close to Iverson said they "were still in the mix, but certainly are not the front-runner."

But a source with the Knicks contradicted that statement, saying New York has dropped out of the picture, even though Iverson would be agreeable to playing under a one-year contract that would not take up any of New York's precious 2010 cap room.

Miami
Heat president Pat Riley has gone on record this summer noting that somebody is going to get a tremendous bargain when Iverson eventually signs -- one of several indications that Miami should probably be considered the front-runner.

But the problem here is an economic one, too. Miami is already more than $3 million over the $69.92 million luxury-tax threshold for the upcoming season, and any deal the Heat would agree to with Iverson would cost them double in real dollars because of the tax penalty.

How could that problem be solved? Well, a giveaway of Udonis Haslem and his expiring $7.1 million contract would open up playing time for Michael Beasley and Joel Anthony along the front line while also clearing room to sign Iverson for $3 million to $4 million for one year without eating into the cap space the Heat have set aside for the summer of 2010. Still, there is no indication that the Heat are ready to take that step.

L.A. Clippers
There was quiet progress on this front until quite recently, and Iverson was even set to fly to Los Angeles to speak with team officials, two sources told ESPN.com. But the Clippers then were presented with the opportunity to acquire Rasual Butler from New Orleans for next to nothing: They jumped on it, and Iverson never got on that airplane.

A potential signing here was never a certainty, though, for chemistry reasons. Foremost among the Clippers' concerns was whether Iverson would accept and embrace a role coming off the bench, and whether his presence would hinder the development of their starting 2-guard, Eric Gordon.

Memphis
Here we have what may end up being Iverson's best fallback option if dollars become the deciding factor. Memphis is well under the cap, could make a better offer than Charlotte and, like the Bobcats, would love to have Iverson aboard simply for his box-office appeal.

But the Grizzlies are for sale, too, and are in no hurry to overpay Iverson (don't forget, they just took on Zach Randolph's contract). One team source said Memphis is content to let the summer play out to wait and see whether Iverson's options continue to dwindle.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: The Last Stand: An Allen Iverson Story - NBA2K10

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:21 am

Awesome! It's been a while since we've had a story focused on a single player. Best of luck!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:11 am

Andrew wrote:Awesome! It's been a while since we've had a story focused on a single player. Best of luck!

Yes having watched Iversons documentary this week, I had to give this a go! 2K10 is still very playable so why not see what I can do in a similar format to jubba!
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Allen Iverson remains unsigned through August.

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:22 am

phpBB [video]

Allen Iverson Still Unsigned as a Free Agent.

For some reason with all NBA teams heading into training camp, Allen Iverson remains unsigned in the last week of August. In his career to date he has averaged 27.1 points a game. 27.1! (Kobe's is 26.8) Here is clearly a guy who is not past his prime and can still be an effective player in the right environment. So let's see which teams would be the best fit for A.I.

Charlotte Bobcats: This is probably the best team for Iverson to join. Charlotte has a lot of good defensive role players but no go to guy who can create off the dribble. Also, Iverson would only be paid the mid-level exception, so he would not be too expensive for the conservative spending Bobcats. As well, Iverson would help make basketball relevant again in Charlotte and would sell out the stadium and sell a lot of merchandise. Score: A

Miami Heat: First of all, it is unlikely that Iverson would accept the bi-annual exception to play with the Heat. Also, he would have to be a 6th man, something he is not willing to do. If they tried to put him it the backcourt with Wade, it wouldn't work as well because both are volume shooters who play a similar game. Score: D

New York Knicks: The Knicks are waiting for 2010, but Allen Iverson would make this team an instant contender for the 8th seed. For Iverson, the one year contract could help him prove to the league that he isn't washed up. Score: B

L.A Clippers: Why? The Clippers are already paying Baron Davis a lot of money to be their point guard and have made the trade for Telfair for depth at the PG. At the SG they have a young player with a lot of potential in Gordon, and A.I. would only stunt his growth as a player. Score: C-

Memphis Grizzlies: A.I. would make Memphis a competitor for the eighth seed in the West, but won't happen for a number of reasons. They have already said they are committed to Mike Conley, and have a nice core between Conley, Mayo and Gay. It also wouldn't work because they already have three players who demand a lot of touches in Randolph, Mayo and Gay. Score: C

Philadelphia: I know that this probably won't happen, but I think it would be a great fit and make them pretty much a lock for the playoffs. The Sixers are strong in their frontcourt, but their backcourt is very weak. As well, they do not have a player other than Iguodala than can create off the dribble during the dying minutes of the fourth quarter (with Miller being gone), and even he would be better driving to the rim than shooting mid range shots. Score B+

Toronto Raptors: A dream I know, but imagine how many points they could score with Calderon, Iverson, Turkoglu, Bosh and Bargnani. Now there would be no defense and every game would be 130-128, but it would be one exciting team. Score: N/A
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:48 pm

From a sentimental standpoint, a better final run with the 76ers would be cool to see, but another scenario would make for a great story too. I'm interested to see which way the tale goes!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Iverson returns to 76ers.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:04 pm

Iverson accepts 76ers' offer.

PHILADELPHIA -- Allen Iverson's first stint with the Philadelphia 76ers ended with the team yanking his nameplate off his locker and editing him out of video highlights before he was even traded.

The Sixers might want to find him a new locker and cue up some clips. Philly fans, pull out that No. 3 jersey from the closet. A.I. is a Sixer again.

In a move that appeared farfetched after their acrimonious split in 2006, the 76ers reunited with the briefly retired Iverson on Wednesday in a move designed to spike attendance and fill in for the recently injured Lou Williams. Williams broke his jaw during training camp this week.

Coach Eddie Jordan said Iverson likely will start and stay the entire season.

"I told him I would like for him to start, and that's where it sort of ended," Jordan said. "And he was really like a kid at Christmas."

Iverson will make his debut Monday night at home against Orlando. The 10-time All-Star-turned-journeyman is determined to prove he still has something to offer in that No. 3 jersey. His new boss is betting Iverson can help the Sixers make a push in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

"He's like a rock star," team president Ed Stefanski said.

And he's back for his encore.

He antagonized his coaches and opponents his first time around. Perhaps humbled, he signed after being reduced to a bench player in Denver and Memphis and forced to accept the veteran's minimum salary to return to his NBA roots.

"If there's going to be a chance for him to do it and make it work, there's no doubt in my mind Philadelphia is the best spot for him to try and do it," Stefanski said.

Stefanski took a low risk financially to sign Iverson, but possibly derailed the long-term improvement of a team tying to build around a core of young players. Rookie Jrue Holiday, who may have hoped to start in Williams absence will come off the bench.

The Iverson-to-Philly talks were underway once Williams was lost for ten weeks with a broken jaw. Stefanski said he never would have considered a second act for Iverson had it not been for the injury.

Iverson's reps asked Stefanski about a possible comeback last week. Iverson, his agent and business manager met with Stefanski and Jordan on Monday to jump-start contract talks.

Iverson was offered a one-year, non-guaranteed contract Tuesday, according to a person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the talks were private. He accepted the deal early Wednesday.

The Sixers would owe just under $650,000 if they guarantee his contract for the remainder of the season on Jan. 10.

"The whole situation wasn't about the contract and the money," Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, told The Associated Press. "It was about the opportunity and the chance to come to Philadelphia."

Sixers VP of business operations Lara Price declined to say how many tickets were purchased for Monday's homecoming, but said: "We have seen a big jump in ticket sales as a result of today's announcement."

Sixers management insisted Iverson's signing was strictly a basketball move and not to necessarily boost the gate.

It had the city buzzing. Fans flooded sports radio stations to talk Iverson, TV stations cut in with live updates, and Internet message board posters were roused with his addition.

Jordan, speaking at Wednesday morning's shootaround, was thrilled to have Iverson.

"Without really seeing him on the floor, I would like to compare him to Brett Favre, a guy who people think is too old to play and he's almost having an MVP year," Jordan said. "That's off the top of my head. When I woke up this morning, I said, 'Maybe he can be that.' It's not a big maybe. I think he can be that."

Except for a brief flirtation with the New York Knicks, no other organization was seriously interested in signing Iverson.

Iverson, nicknamed "The Answer," regularly played 40 minutes when he was NBA MVP in 2001 and led the Sixers to the Finals. Philadelphia hasn't won a playoff series since 2003.

In 10 seasons with the Sixers, Iverson posted the highest scoring average in team history (28.1), was second on the points list (19,583) and holds the record for 3-pointers (877). He was a seven-time All-Star, won four scoring titles and two All-Star Game MVPs.

Iverson's last game with Philadelphia was Dec. 6, 2006, in Chicago. He refused to play the fourth quarter, had a severe falling out with former coach Maurice Cheeks and was banished from the team. Chairman Ed Snider and former GM Billy King sent Iverson home while they worked on trading their superstar.

He was eventually sent to Denver as part of the Andre Miller deal, and bounced to Detroit before landing in Memphis.

Snider has publicly welcomed him back.

"When he left our organization I did say, 'We're gonna trade him,' but that was only after he requested to be traded," Snider said in a statement. "This is an opportunity for him to shine here in Philadelphia, where it all started, with the most positive outcome."

Sixers leading scorer Andre Iguodala, a former Iverson teammate, said he gave management the OK to make the move.

"That was pretty easy," he said. "I think all the guys on our team, whether they've played with him or not, realize what he can do. He can play."

Iverson was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 draft, but his 10 turbulent seasons in Philadelphia were marred by rants about practice, run-ins with former coach Larry Brown, arrests and a failed rap career.

In one infamous blowup at the end of the 2002 season, he repeated the word "practice" nearly 20 times during a rambling monologue.

"We had, at times, a rocky road with Allen Iverson, but we also had a fantastic run with Allen," Peter Luukko, COO of Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the 76ers and Flyers, told The AP. "The expectations with Allen have changed dramatically. We're not looking for Allen to individually lead this team the way he has in the past."

Iverson has a career average of 27 points in 889 games over 14 seasons, and is tied for the fifth-highest scoring average in NBA history. He ranks third among active players.

"It's a great challenge, and I think it's a motivational aspect to it, too," Jordan said. "Guys are going to be jacked up. He's a winner, he's an assassin on the floor and that sort of thing is contagious."
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:05 pm

Just feels right. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

76ers Starting Lineup 2009/10

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:21 pm

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

October Schedule 2009.

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 pm

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

GM 1 Philadelphia @ Orlando

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:15 am

Game 1 Philadelphia 76ers 102 - 116 Orlando Magic.

Iverson with the tough finish over Carter

76ers Starters
A. Iverson
A. Iguodola
T. Young
E. Brand
S. Dalembert

Magic Starters
J.Nelson
V. Carter
R. Lewis
B. Bass
D. Howard

Game Leaders
Pts - 29 - D. Howard (Magic)
Rebs - 11 - D. Howard (Magic)
Asts - 6 - A. Iguodala (76ers), V. Carter (Magic)
Stls - 3 - V. Carter (Magic)
Blks - 3 - A. Iguodala (76ers), S. Dalembert (76ers), D. Howard (Magic)

A.I's Analysis.

Iverson's Statline: 21 Points, 2 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 1 Steal in 36 Minutes.

“Tough loss tonight in our home opener. We had a great first quarter when Iggy and I caught fire. But the Magic and the dominant Howard fought back hard in the 2nd quarter. We lost all three remaining quarters and that just isn't good enough. The Magic are the reigning East champions so we have to be able to compete better with them. The young guys Mo Speights and Thad Young are going to be really vital to doing that. The rookie Jrue Holiday is a tough defender even if his offense will take some work. The Magic shot the three at an incredible clip, we have to do that more to get near them. Good to be back in the Philly uniform though. I think we can be a top 4 playoff team this year."
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

GM 2 Milwaukee @ Philadelphia

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:41 am

Game 2 Milwaukee Bucks 78 - 89 Philadelphia 76ers

Iverson hit the opening bucket in his return to Philly.

Bucks Starters
B. Jennings
M. Redd
L. Mbah a Moute
H. Warrick
A. Bogut

76ers Starters
A. Iverson
A. Iguodola
T. Young
E. Brand
S. Dalembert

Game Leaders
Pts - 27 - M. Redd (Bucks)
Rebs - 12 - S. Dalembert (76ers), E. Brand (76ers)
Asts - 6 - L. Ridnour (Bucks)
Stls - 3 - A. Iverson (76ers)
Blks - 3 - S. Dalembert (76ers), E. Brand (76ers)

A.I's Analysis.

Iverson's Statline: 24 Points, 0 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 2 Steals in 29 Minutes.

“I'm back! Great to hear that roar in Philly baby! Great win tonight over the Bucks. I top scored tonight but that was not the important part. Our defense was stellar all night. Particularly the play of our two bigs Elton and Sam. They were blocking and swatting everything tonight! We had three players on 2 or more steals. I lost count off all the deflections. We did a great job on big Bogut inside keeping him to 9 points. Because of that Michael Redd lit us up. But you can't stop everything. The Bucks are a tough team, but I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year. I need to work on my assists, I can see Iggy took a backseat to me tonight with his 12 points. We need him scoring 20 to be a contender."
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Game 3 Philadelphia 76ers @ New York Knicks.

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:48 am

Game 3 Philadelphia 76ers 93 - 87 New York Knicks.

Iverson shows the Knicks what they missed out on.

76ers Starters
A. Iverson
A. Iguodola
T. Young
E. Brand
S. Dalembert

Knicks Starters
C. Duhon
L. Hughes
W. Chandler
A. Harrington
D. Lee

Game Leaders
Pts - 27 - A. Iverson (76ers)
Rebs - 10 - E. Brand (76ers)
Asts - 9 - C. Duhon (Knicks)
Stls - 5 - A. Harrington (Knicks)
Blks - 3 - E. Brand (76ers)

A.I's Analysis.

Iverson's Statline: 27 Points, 0 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 0 Steals in 28 Minutes.

“NYC Baby! Great victory tonight in the Garden. That's two in a row! Way to look strong tonight against a bottom of the conference team. Again our defense was our calling card. Brand and Dalembert showed Harrington, Lee and Curry who the bosses are. Iggy shut down Larry Hughes, Wilson Chandler and Nate Robinson at times too. Chris Duhon is running the point well and his 9 assists is something I need to aim for. But tonight my Philly guys needed me to get buckets so I did. I really like the defense we are playing this season so far. It already reminds me a little of our finals run team in 2001. But this time we've got a lot more young legs. Let's see."
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

November Schedule 2009.

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:12 am

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

November Recap.

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:30 am

November Recap.

Iverson has had a terrific return to the 76ers, who now lead the East.

Allen Iverson has had a dream return to the 76ers this season. He not only leads the 76ers in scoring with 19.6ppg, but emotionally too, as his grit and hard work has spread throughout the organisation. The Sixers who last season faced the Orlando Magic in the playoffs as a #8 seed, felt that this season they needed to do something to close the gap on the top team, seem to have done just that. Nobody could have forecast the enormous effect Iverson has had on the team so far. With Lou Williams set to return next week from a jaw fracture, it can only add more firepower to a strong Philadelphia team.

After two solid wins over Milwaukee and New York in October, the ante was ramped up with a home game to the Eastern Conference Finalist Boston. A hard fought game saw Ray Allen win it for Boston late in the 4th. The Sixers had their chances but just couldn't get it done offensively on the night. Iggy led the fight for Philly with 21 points and was ably backed up by Thad Young with 20 and Iverson with 17. The Celtics big four all had double figures.

The close loss must have really angered the 76ers though, as they went on an incredible streak after that. Starting with a 113 - 87 win over New Jersey, the 76ers went on an eight game win streak. Highlights of the streak where, Iggys 31 pts-8 rebs - 8 assts vs the Nets, Iverson's 31 points and 6 assists vs Detroit (A.I was extra motivated for that one!) Thad Youngs 30 pt - 10 rebound game v Phoenix and Elton Brands 21pt - 14 rebound game vs the Grizzlies.

Sixers Player Stats.

But then the 76ers ran into a LeBron shaped wall. James had 36 pts, 11 rebounds and 16 assists and he stopped the 76ers win streak dead. The loss was so devastating that the 76ers lost again to the Wizards a few days later despite Iggys 23 points. And then the visit to Boston. The 76ers led by Allen Iverson announced themselves as Eastern Conference contenders in the TD Garden. Iverson scorched the Celtics for 29 points. Iggys 16 pts - 10 rebs - 10 assist triple double was vital, especially the defense he played on Paul Pierce down the stretch. The 76ers rode that momentum all the way back to Philly where Iverson once again top scored for the hot 76ers against Atlanta.

The month rounded up with the start of a long west coast journey. A disappointing loss to the Spurs was the starting point, but this was followed up by a much stronger performance in Dallas the next night. The 76ers were dragged over the line by Iggy, who scored a career high 36 points. Up next in December is OKC. Another stern test for the Eastern Conference leaders.

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: November Recap.

Postby jubba910 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:43 am

RMJH4 wrote:
[ Image ]

November Recap.

[ Image ]

Iverson has had a terrific return to the 76ers, who now lead the East.

Allen Iverson has had a dream return to the 76ers this season. He not only leads the 76ers in scoring with 19.6ppg, but emotionally too, as his grit and hard work has spread throughout the organisation. The Sixers who last season faced the Orlando Magic in the playoffs as a #8 seed, felt that this season they needed to do something to close the gap on the top team, seem to have done just that. Nobody could have forecast the enormous effect Iverson has had on the team so far. With Lou Williams set to return next week from a jaw fracture, it can only add more firepower to a strong Philadelphia team.

After two solid wins over Milwaukee and New York in October, the ante was ramped up with a home game to the Eastern Conference Finalist Boston. A hard fought game saw Ray Allen win it for Boston late in the 4th. The Sixers had their chances but just couldn't get it done offensively on the night. Iggy led the fight for Philly with 21 points and was ably backed up by Thad Young with 20 and Iverson with 17. The Celtics big four all had double figures.

The close loss must have really angered the 76ers though, as they went on an incredible streak after that. Starting with a 113 - 87 win over New Jersey, the 76ers went on an eight game win streak. Highlights of the streak where, Iggys 31 pts-8 rebs - 8 assts vs the Nets, Iverson's 31 points and 6 assists vs Detroit (A.I was extra motivated for that one!) Thad Youngs 30 pt - 10 rebound game v Phoenix and Elton Brands 21pt - 14 rebound game vs the Grizzlies.

Sixers Player Stats.
[ Image ]

But then the 76ers ran into a LeBron shaped wall. James had 36 pts, 11 rebounds and 16 assists and he stopped the 76ers win streak dead. The loss was so devastating that the 76ers lost again to the Wizards a few days later despite Iggys 23 points. And then the visit to Boston. The 76ers led by Allen Iverson announced themselves as Eastern Conference contenders in the TD Garden. Iverson scorched the Celtics for 29 points. Iggys 16 pts - 10 rebs - 10 assist triple double was vital, especially the defense he played on Paul Pierce down the stretch. The 76ers rode that momentum all the way back to Philly where Iverson once again top scored for the hot 76ers against Atlanta.

The month rounded up with the start of a long west coast journey. A disappointing loss to the Spurs was the starting point, but this was followed up by a much stronger performance in Dallas the next night. The 76ers were dragged over the line by Iggy, who scored a career high 36 points. Up next in December is OKC. Another stern test for the Eastern Conference leaders.

[ Image ]

Hot start! I'm expecting the Thad Young effect to factor in as the season goes on, as a Philly fan he was the biggest X-Factor in the league from 2K8-2K11 and would often be my leading scorer. I may have missed this in the previous posts, but are you just using player lock on Iverson, watching the games, or controlling the whole team?
"I just tried to play the right way." - Kwame Brown

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA)
Baltimore Ravens (NFL)
Ottawa Senators (NHL)
Baylor Bears (NCAAB)
TCU Horned Frogs (NCAAF)

jubba910

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:49 am

So far so good for AI's return!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:52 pm

jubba910 wrote:Hot start! I'm expecting the Thad Young effect to factor in as the season goes on, as a Philly fan he was the biggest X-Factor in the league from 2K8-2K11 and would often be my leading scorer. I may have missed this in the previous posts, but are you just using player lock on Iverson, watching the games, or controlling the whole team?

Yes Young has been impressive playing wise and sim wise. Hopefully that continues. I am mixing it up. Some times player lock, sometimes the whole team. Sometime player lock can lead to really poor stats from other players.

Andrew wrote:So far so good for AI's return!

Yes good start, great defensive team and AI been scoring well too. Forgot how fun and athletic Iggy was with Philly.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Around the NBA - December 1st 2009

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:38 pm

Transaction Report.

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Game 19 Philadelphia 76ers @ Oklahoma City Thunder.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:18 pm

Game 19 Philadelphia 76ers 81 - 76 Oklahoma City Thunder.

Iverson makes an And1 play only he can make.

76ers Starters
A. Iverson
A. Iguodola
T. Young
E. Brand
S. Dalembert

Thunder Starters
R. Westbrook
J. Harden
K. Durant
J. Green
N. Collison

Game Leaders
Pts - 23 - K. Durant (Thunder)
Rebs - 13 - K. Durant (Thunder)
Asts - 5 - A. Iguodala (76ers)
Stls - 4 - A. Iverson (76ers)
Blks - 2 - E. Brand, M. Speights, S. Dalembert (76ers)

A.I's Analysis.

Iverson's Statline: 18 Points, 1 Rebound, 3 Assists, 4 Steals in 34 Minutes.

“Statement win tonight. Ain't no young guns gonna stop us! OKC have one of the best young cores in the NBA with Durant, Harden, Westbrook and Green. But we shut down them defensively. Holding them to one of their lowest points totals so far this season. Iggy was a beast on KD.. Thad was excellent on Westbrook. Our big guys were swatting everything that came into the paint. Speights, Elton and Sam had 2 blocks each. That made it impossible for OKC to drive the lane and get easy buckets. I upped my steal and assist totals tonight and I was mcuh happier about that. I'm the fuel that keeps the Iguodala engine running. He can continue to lead us to a great record. Big shout out to my boy Thad Young. Got it done on both ends tonight, scoring 14 points and grabbing 9 rebounds along the way!"
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood