[2K23] RAPTORS 1998 - My Cousin Vinny

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

[2K23] RAPTORS 1998 - My Cousin Vinny

Postby Raps in 4 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:50 am

I enjoy playing with different teams and players, so I started a new save.

"It was draft night. I was at my cousin's Vinny's house although he wasn't there.
He was at the draft, together with my aunt and uncle, but the rest of the family had gathered
in their house regardless to watch the NBA draft.

Our team had the fourth pick. We definitely needed a good player, because last year was awful.
We had only won 16 games. I hadn't really studied the players in the draft. I'd heard of some guys
from my cousin though. Honestly, I was more concerned with who we were getting than where Vince
was going to end up. According to him there was a good chance my team would select a center from
Kansas. But he was picked third by the Denver Nuggets.

The commissioner showed up on the stage. It was time for our pick. Vince was still on the board.

"With the fourth overall pick the Toronto Raptors select Antawn Jamison from North Carolina."

I was happy. I knew this guy could score the basketball. Vince had told me about him,
as he was his best teammate at North Carolina. My dad congratulated me with the pick.

Soon after our attention turned to the screen again. Vince was picked next, by the Golden State Warriors.
People cheered and my dad turned up the sound of the television.

phpBB [video]

The commissioner appeared again. (2.34)
"I'd like to announce a trade," he said.

"What?" "Uh oh, this might be Vince. He was just selected," my dad said.

"...Antawn Jamison..."

"Oh no," I thought, but I kept quiet because I wanted to hear who we were getting back.

"...Vince Carter..."

"What..?!" "Oh wow!" You all are going to be teammates!"

"This is crazy!" I was laughing.

"It's time to celebrate," my dad said, and he turned down the sound of the television.

A few hours later the phone rang. My mom answered. "It's for you," she said. "Your team..."

"What do you think of our roster moves, big guy?" It was one of the assistant coaches.

"Why? You mean Vince? Well he's a good player, I think it's a good move," I said.

"Not just Vince," he said. "Didn't you watch the draft?"

"Not all of it," I said. "The tv was muted after we learned of the trade."

"Well we made some more trades." He filled me in:

"Wow, 6 trades?" I said.

"So we're rolling with what line up now?"

"Point guard Jason Williams, the rookie from Florida.
Shooting guard, your cousin Vince.
Small forward, you.
Power forward, Ben Wallace from the Wizards.
And center Dikembe Mutombo from the Hawks.
And then Dee Brown, Doug Christie, Charles Oakley, Tyrone Corbin and Alvin Williams off the bench."
Raps in 4

Re: [2K23] RAPTORS 1998 - My Cousin Vinny

Postby Raps in 4 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:38 pm

"I could already see it in training camp but tonight was the confirmation.
We have a pretty good squad this year. We played the Milwaukee Bucks tonight,
a good team, at least that's my opinion, because they didn't make the playoffs last year,
but they have Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson and Sam Cassell.

The game was very close in the first three quarters. I couldn't tell you how many lead changes
there were. But in the fourth quarter we ran up the score and we won by 22!

Everybody can play. Mutombo and Wallace had 12 blocked shots and 37 rebounds
between the two of them. Vince balled out. He scored 34 points. It's the third highest
point total in the first game scored by a rookie. I had more dunks though. But I missed all
my threepoint attempts. I finished the game with 25 points, 5 rebounds, a steal and 2 blocks.

The rookie point guard can also ball. He had 12 assists and threw three oops. One to me.

We have a back-to-back, tomorrow we're playing the Washington Wizards, so I'm heading to bed soon."

Raps in 4

Re: [2K23] RAPTORS 1998 - My Cousin Vinny

Postby Raps in 4 on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:27 am

"We dropped 130 points on the Wizards the day before yesterday. I had a career high 35 points!
It's 1 point more than Vince scored on his debut. I led all scorers. Vince had 22, and our rookie point guard 34.

We're 2-0. Feels good.

We're on a long flight now heading to Seattle, where we play the Sonics tomorrow.
The Sonics won 61 games last year, so I expect a tough game."

Raps in 4

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood