How to use beard from one player to another with different hair color. *HELP*

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K20 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

How to use beard from one player to another with different hair color. *HELP*

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:51 am

hi good day guys. i was trying to make a unique cyberface by mixing and matching stuff. credits to TGsoGood, video
phpBB [video]

but then i bummped in to this problem. i tried using DRose hair with tyson chandlers beard but the beard looks pixelated or something
NBA2K20 2019-11-03 21-00-16.png

it should look like this
NBA2K20 2019-11-04 22-01-42.png

the beard strands aren't showing up instead it loads black squares or somthing. after trying out some stuff i found out that whats causing this is the hair_color.dds file

My question is is there a way to use two (2) different hair color to load the beard and hair perfectly?
please help! thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeremiahsabado284

Re: How to use beard from one player to another with different hair color. *HELP*

Postby bluejaybrandon on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:57 am

Yes there is. Basically you have to rename everything related to the facial hair texture as hair_01_shell. Trevor is the go to for this, he helped me last year with it. I’d reach out to him via PM and he can step you through it in more detail. I’ll try to see if I can find his full response.

Edit: I found it. It’s part forum post quote and part PM between us. I know posting PM’s is a violation of the rules, but I solely post it with the intentions of helping another user and answering a question, not to be inflammatory. If the mods want it removed, I can do so.

trevorjpt33 wrote:Nah you're good there's no such thing as a dumb question: what I have found in converting (or attempting to) is that the 3D facial hair causes the problems - I would assume because it's involved in certain facial animations that are more complex as opposed to the hair.

There are issues when using 2k18 or 2k19 facial hair in 2k17, as well as when attempting to use 2k17 or 2k18 facial hair in 2k19. But 3D hair is interchangeable between the 3 games. There should not be any issues mixing and matching 3D hair and facial hair between games. The only potential issue would be that the hair textures aren't applied correctly to both due to different UV maps. You can work around this by using 2 sets of hair texture files as I outlined here:

trevorjpt33 wrote:
mrk326 wrote:this is a bit of a longshot, but is there a way to use two different hair textures? like one texture is for the actual hair while the facial hair loads a different one? thanks

Yes definitely. Change the filenames for one of the sets of textures from "hair" to "hair_shell". Then add "hair_shell_shader" to Material section in whatever SCNE file it's in and change "facialHair_shader" or "hair_shader" to "hair_shell_shader" in the Prim section of the SCNE file
bluejaybrandon

Re: How to use beard from one player to another with different hair color. *HELP*

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:13 am

bluejaybrandon, thanks bro! imma try it out now!
jeremiahsabado284

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:18 am

bluejaybrandon, im sorry bro but can you explain the 1st part more? the one that says "Change the filenames for one of the sets of textures from "hair" to "hair_shell". this is the scne file right? i need to change its name is thhat correct?
jeremiahsabado284

Postby bluejaybrandon on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:25 am

jeremiahsabado284 wrote:bluejaybrandon, im sorry bro but can you explain the 1st part more? the one that says "Change the filenames for one of the sets of textures from "hair" to "hair_shell". this is the scne file right? i need to change its name is thhat correct?

Correct. One set of scne files need to have their name changed to hair_shell_xxxxx.scne
bluejaybrandon

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm

bluejaybrandon, sorry to be dumb and all is this correct?

from facialHair_o1.scne to facialHair_01_shell.scne
jeremiahsabado284

Postby mithrxs on Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Very vague instructions... would appreciate some more explanation
mithrxs

Postby RKJ2k on Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:25 pm

if you cant make it work with that method, try to edit the UV map..works fine...
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/RillKyrieJames
RKJ2k

Postby RichieDann on Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:28 am

Have you copied beard texture from png file of the player that has the facial hair?
RichieDann

Postby jeremiahsabado284 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:31 pm

RKJ2k, tried using UV maps but im getting this error. please help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeremiahsabado284

Postby jimmuel15 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:30 pm

bro how you do that tyson chandler beard to d rose
jimmuel15

jimmuel15

jimmuel15

Postby deweyjohnson on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:18 am

jeremiahsabado284 wrote:RKJ2k, tried using UV maps but im getting this error. please help

Have you fixed the issue bro?
deweyjohnson

Postby deweyjohnson on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:53 pm

bluejaybrandon wrote:Yes there is. Basically you have to rename everything related to the facial hair texture as hair_01_shell. Trevor is the go to for this, he helped me last year with it. I’d reach out to him via PM and he can step you through it in more detail. I’ll try to see if I can find his full response.

Edit: I found it. It’s part forum post quote and part PM between us. I know posting PM’s is a violation of the rules, but I solely post it with the intentions of helping another user and answering a question, not to be inflammatory. If the mods want it removed, I can do so.

trevorjpt33 wrote:Nah you're good there's no such thing as a dumb question: what I have found in converting (or attempting to) is that the 3D facial hair causes the problems - I would assume because it's involved in certain facial animations that are more complex as opposed to the hair.

There are issues when using 2k18 or 2k19 facial hair in 2k17, as well as when attempting to use 2k17 or 2k18 facial hair in 2k19. But 3D hair is interchangeable between the 3 games. There should not be any issues mixing and matching 3D hair and facial hair between games. The only potential issue would be that the hair textures aren't applied correctly to both due to different UV maps. You can work around this by using 2 sets of hair texture files as I outlined here:

trevorjpt33 wrote:
mrk326 wrote:this is a bit of a longshot, but is there a way to use two different hair textures? like one texture is for the actual hair while the facial hair loads a different one? thanks

Yes definitely. Change the filenames for one of the sets of textures from "hair" to "hair_shell". Then add "hair_shell_shader" to Material section in whatever SCNE file it's in and change "facialHair_shader" or "hair_shader" to "hair_shell_shader" in the Prim section of the SCNE file

I was confused at first with the instructions but I was able to make it work and I can't thank you enough for giving us a solution. Thanks a lot, bluejaybrandon for giving us this solution. :D :100:
deweyjohnson

Return to NBA 2K20 Modding