NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #322: Maybe Next Year, Huh?

Postby Andrew on Tue May 12, 2020 4:09 am

One would assume that's what the delay will facilitate. Of course, simply moving to Frostbite alone isn't going to cure all the problems. Probably a good start, but there's a lot of stuff they need to do to have that well-rounded product we keep talking about.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 am

I can see them doing that, I think there next release will only be on next gen but the question is do they have access to it now to build there game on now? iam guessing they do, so if they have it I could see them releasing in January or February but it would be a port of nba live 19 with updated modes.

I know that wouldn't be worthy of the price tag to the casual gamer but would be a message to say there not get finished with the franchise
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 am

maybe they still release a Free to Play game in the process, but this all comes back to them trying not to make the same mistakes and be more prepared for next gen, as they stated. If Madden looked the way it did in the teaser, I'm not holding my breath lol.

I just hope they realise the NBA side of the game needs more even in the days of THE ONE and parks.
ThaLiveKing

Postby mp3 on Tue May 12, 2020 6:44 am

Amen to that brother!

I mean from my own selfish angle I want a deeper franchise mode, I don't play the other modes due to online cheese or pay to win but doesn't mean I don't care about them I just want them to put the NBA back in NBA live!
mp3

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue May 12, 2020 7:05 am

mp3 wrote:Amen to that brother!

I mean from my own selfish angle I want a deeper franchise mode, I don't play the other modes due to online cheese or pay to win but doesn't mean I don't care about them I just want them to put the NBA back in NBA live!

sports games lost their way!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby mp3 on Tue May 12, 2020 8:20 am

It really has, the days where franchise modes were the most read about in the story threads and then later on YouTube and I think that has a lot to do with the target audience that the games look at, the true fans of the nba are being left behind in favour of the causal basketball fan.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Tue May 12, 2020 9:54 am

I was just reading an article comparing the downward trend for sports games as far as critic and fan ratings go. Madden & 2K were the biggest culprits
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue May 12, 2020 12:08 pm

mp3 wrote:It really has, the days where franchise modes were the most read about in the story threads and then later on YouTube and I think that has a lot to do with the target audience that the games look at, the true fans of the nba are being left behind in favour of the causal basketball fan.

yeah diving into 2K more than I have since 2016, I just don't see it being THAT MUCH better than NBA Live to be honest, sure they have more in their game more fleshed out product, but a lot of the things they push to the sim gamer is broken that I had to spend months adjusting sliders. This is the first time I finished a whole Be A Pro season in NHL, I just feel the offline customization in NHL has kept me playing and having fun, same thing with 2K but NHL game play out the box is light years ahead of 2K.

and Q, Madden just doesn't have any features, it's crazy how bare bones that game is for being a AAA game.
ThaLiveKing

Postby [Q] on Tue May 12, 2020 1:24 pm

Lol I remember playing Madden between 2004-2010 and remember how good it used to be. Haven't touched that game in a decade. I wonder if 2k getting back into the game may spark some change

Playing Live 18 and at times 19 I didn't feel like I was playing a bad game or the "inferior product" at all. I had a lot of fun with 18 especially, but if anything the games are lacking it's mostly bells and whistles that 2k has had the time to put into their games over the years
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 pm

[Q] wrote:Lol I remember playing Madden between 2004-2010 and remember how good it used to be. Haven't touched that game in a decade. I wonder if 2k getting back into the game may spark some change

Playing Live 18 and at times 19 I didn't feel like I was playing a bad game or the "inferior product" at all. I had a lot of fun with 18 especially, but if anything the games are lacking it's mostly bells and whistles that 2k has had the time to put into their games over the years

yeah!!! to me what's killing EA Games is the Live services direction, it's a good thing to have but they're neglecting so much.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Direction and depth are key. NBA Live really needs to focus on the NBA side of things. The One's street content is a decent hook, but it's not moving the needle or allowing it to be a viable alternative to NBA 2K.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed May 13, 2020 4:28 am

Andrew wrote:Direction and depth are key. NBA Live really needs to focus on the NBA side of things. The One's street content is a decent hook, but it's not moving the needle or allowing it to be a viable alternative to NBA 2K.

I really hate that I might have to play 2K for another year as the only basketball game lol. The Streets is pretty much perfected on how they want it and they don't really have to do much with it other than have great servers. I'm just worried about the "Interactive" new ways, meaning they just want people connected to online with their games which sounds like the same ol same ol.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Wed May 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Agreed. Gameplay and NBA-oriented modes should be the priority now. There's more that could be done with The Streets, but for now it should be little things while a majority of focus goes to Franchise, Ultimate Team, and the on-court experience in general.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 am

Co-sign!!

Gameplay, Franchise and LuT all need working on.

I know you have to stay relevant but go back to what made nba live great!
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu May 14, 2020 2:16 pm

The thing is that focusing on The Streets hasn't really panned out the way they probably hoped, and that's because there's still interest in the NBA side of things. Or, at the very least, the fundamentals of the NBA experience are still vital to spinoff modes like The Streets, so they need to be deep and solid to begin with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #323: But Will There Be Shoelace Physics?

Postby Andrew on Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 pm

NLSC Podcast #323: But Will There Be Shoelace Physics?

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

As The Last Dance draws to a close, 2K are cashing in with a new GOAT Michael Jordan card in NBA 2K20 MyTEAM, and classic Bulls gear in MyCAREER. There might be a way of getting all of those items, but are we willing to pay the price? Speaking of future purchases, the PlayStation 5 tech demo has given us a glimpse of what to expect from next gen. We consider what it might mean for basketball games, and whether the tech will be put to good use. That leads us to reflect on what it's like to be in the older age bracket of the basketball gaming demographic, as well as whether it's possible to enjoy a broken game. Our recent poll also sparks a discussion on different approaches to retro team roster mods.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's topics? Are you weary of the annual grind in modern titles? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon May 18, 2020 3:51 am

Andrew wrote:NLSC Podcast #323: But Will There Be Shoelace Physics?

As The Last Dance draws to a close, 2K are cashing in with a new GOAT Michael Jordan card in NBA 2K20 MyTEAM, and classic Bulls gear in MyCAREER. There might be a way of getting all of those items, but are we willing to pay the price? Speaking of future purchases, the PlayStation 5 tech demo has given us a glimpse of what to expect from next gen. We consider what it might mean for basketball games, and whether the tech will be put to good use. That leads us to reflect on what it's like to be in the older age bracket of the basketball gaming demographic, as well as whether it's possible to enjoy a broken game. Our recent poll also sparks a discussion on different approaches to retro team roster mods.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's topics? Are you weary of the annual grind in modern titles? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.

Sports games are adopting a Battle Royale model, all that does is take away from creating new modes and fixing exiting ones.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 am

It does seem like they're looking beyond the scope of being in-depth, realistic basketball simulations.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue May 19, 2020 5:18 am

Back to basics, make existing modes deeper but make them work the way there supposed too.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:
Andrew wrote:NLSC Podcast #323: But Will There Be Shoelace Physics?

Tune in here!

Sports games are adopting a Battle Royale model, all that does is take away from creating new modes and fixing exiting ones.

New game from 2K: F2P Battle Royale where players' myCareer created players get dumped onto a court. then the ball gets dropped and you need to score within the time period or else you're eliminated lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Oh man, don't give them ideas!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #324: Digging for Buried Treasure

Postby Andrew on Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 pm

NLSC Podcast #324: Digging for Buried Treasure

NBA 2K20 is available at a discount on various digital platforms, as part of another push to pump up sales numbers for the game. It's also received a new patch, though it appears to just be a hotfix for an issue with MyTEAM Unlimited. Meanwhile, the renewal of EA Sports' exclusive deal with the NFL leads us to consider the ramifications if the NBA ever sought a similar arrangement with either EA or Visual Concepts. In our featured discussion this week, we talk about recent additions to our collections, games we're coveting, pet peeves in older releases, and the appeal of simplicity. We also pay tribute to the late Jerry Sloan, legendary Utah Jazz coach and original star for the Chicago Bulls.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's topics? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Wed May 27, 2020 2:08 am

I cherish great memories from playing videogames from the late 90's/early 00's but I sure don't miss Nintendo 64's controller and regional games/consoles. One of the reasons I got a PS1 instead of a N64 was the controller, I remember playing NBA Courtside and ISS 64 and I simply couldn't get into those because I found unconfortable the analog in the middle and its M shape. I ended up getting a PS1 with Winning Eleven and NBA Live and it began my interest in both franchises.

Talking about all of those old games makes me wish there was another company making a basketball videogame. I don't dislike NBA 2K but I wish a new sim game with fresh ideas or features and NBA Live has disappointed me for so long but I'd like to try something new. I don't think it'll happen anythime soon because of licensing and development costs and how unreachable 2K seems to be in sales.

Has anyone seen or played NBA Starting Five 2005? It's a game from Konami released only on Japan. It has classic teams, good presentations, signature shots and its gameplay doesn't look that bad. I hoped Konami would release another NBA game since PES has been quite good.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed May 27, 2020 4:14 am

I've heard of it, but never played it. As you said, and as we've lamented ourselves on the show on multiple occasions, it's a real shame that there aren't more players in the basketball gaming space. Thanks for tuning in!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #325: Playground People, The Game & Its Sequel

Postby Andrew on Sun May 31, 2020 10:38 pm

NLSC Podcast #325: Playground People, The Game & Its Sequel

NBA Playgrounds and its sequel NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 have been quite successful, but thus far, the series hasn't had the same staying power as NBA Jam or NBA Street. We take a deep-dive into the Playground games, discussing the parts that we like, and the parts that we believe could be better. Along the way, we compare and contrast Playgrounds with Jam and Street, discuss missed opportunities for the series, and consider its future. We also talk about NBA Starting Five 2005 - an overlooked Japanese exclusive from the mid 2000s with features that were ahead of their time - and the latest title update for Basketball Classics. A retro pick-up teased in last week's show is also revealed.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's topics? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard