NBA Live 05 Addict here with a PS2 question

Talk about NBA Live 2005 here.

NBA Live 05 Addict here with a PS2 question

Postby Spin_and_Juice on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Greetings fellow old school gamers. I have a weird love for Live 05. I have a PS2 and an older TV specifically just to play it. Actually on my 3rd PS2, untold amount of controllers, and the 3rd disc. I have a very specific skill set in that I have mastered the Rookie level after literally playing it for 10s of 1000s of hours over the last 15 years. By master, I mean that I typically win by 300+ points in 8 minute quarters with the only "cheat" used is sometimes swapping the other team's point guard with a bench PG. Most people don't understand why that would be fun as it's obviously not a challenge to win. However, my challenge is to be able to win by that much as well as hitting goals such as shooting over 90% True Shooting %, 130+ steals a game and so on and so forth.

Anyways, I've finally gotten to the point that I would love to add some different players and creating each and every one doesn't interest me much. I've been trying to find a way to get a slightly newer roster on the PS2, but the guides that I saw many moons ago I either can no longer find or I had it confused because they were for the PC and I didn't realize at the time. Does anyone have any info on the last PS2 update that was made? I think it requires a special adapter to plug in the memory card to a PC and I'm fine with that. Thanks!
Last edited by Spin_and_Juice on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin_and_Juice

Re: NBA Live 05 Addict here with a PS2 question

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:43 pm

I don't recall any PS2 rosters being shared here, unfortunately. We did a lot of great things for PC back in the day, but we haven't had a lot of console content throughout the years.

I do know that you can transfer saves files between consoles using a Gameshark/Action Replay for PS2, as there's a function to copy files to and from a memory card, and thus distribute them accordingly. Tracking down a custom roster for PS2 may be impossible, as a lot of files from that era have disappeared into the ether. If you could track one down then it should be possible to transfer over. I do think there may be some incompatibility between the PAL and NTSC versions, though. I uploaded a custom roster for NBA Live 09 PS2 years ago, and as I'm in a PAL region, some NTSC users reported having issues getting it to work.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to use Create-a-Player's face randomiser and the ratings pre-sets to quickly create a bunch of new players very quickly. Note that you'll only be able to create 44 new players, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Spin_and_Juice on Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:45 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't recall any PS2 rosters being shared here, unfortunately. We did a lot of great things for PC back in the day, but we haven't had a lot of console content throughout the years.

I do know that you can transfer saves files between consoles using a Gameshark/Action Replay for PS2, as there's a function to copy files to and from a memory card, and thus distribute them accordingly. Tracking down a custom roster for PS2 may be impossible, as a lot of files from that era have disappeared into the ether. If you could track one down then it should be possible to transfer over. I do think there may be some incompatibility between the PAL and NTSC versions, though. I uploaded a custom roster for NBA Live 09 PS2 years ago, and as I'm in a PAL region, some NTSC users reported having issues getting it to work.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to use Create-a-Player's face randomiser and the ratings pre-sets to quickly create a bunch of new players very quickly. Note that you'll only be able to create 44 new players, though.

Thank you so much for the info. Maybe I need to look into getting it on PC eventually when this PS2 dies. The Gameshark thing could be an avenue but sadly, I never even thought of the pre-set Create-a-Player deal. That will certainly be the easy way to go and just might introduce a bit more fun for now. Thanks for the good work you put in here and take care!
Spin_and_Juice

Postby [Q] on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:47 am

I would agree PC version the way to go, especially since rosters are so much easier to edit and easier to find and download. I remember back in the day having an adapter to connect my ps2 controller to play it on my laptop
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Spin_and_Juice on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:55 am

[Q] wrote:I would agree PC version the way to go, especially since rosters are so much easier to edit and easier to find and download. I remember back in the day having an adapter to connect my ps2 controller to play it on my laptop

I didn't even think about there being a PC version before. I've tried to set up a PS2 emulator a couple of times and it was absolutely unplayable. I play very fast and even the slightest lag makes it worthless. But I'm glad I have a backup plan now when this PS2 dies, if not before. :D
Spin_and_Juice

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:57 pm

PC copies are still available fairly cheaply on eBay as well, so I'd say it's a good backup plan. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 2005