Bring the PC version back to life

Talk about NBA Live 08 here.

Bring the PC version back to life

Postby atlwarrior on Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26 pm

I have a special bond with this game. This will always be my goat of NBA Lives (even over NBA Live 10). It’s so many ways to enjoy this game. I recently ordered a new copy on Amazon. Who knows? I could try to cook up a new roster project. I recently played nba live 19 and wondered why player editing is broken in that game. Then I thought about NBA Live 08 PC. Aside from the animations, this game is better at getting players to play like their real life counterparts. If I want to turn Westbrook into a triple double threat, I can make it happen. Not NBA Live 19. You can completely overhaul edits in that game and nothing will change at all. I have NBA 2k22 and had success applying it’s formula to this game in the past and will continue to do so. It may take a while seeing that I live a busier life than before. I will do a lot of testing before a stable release.
atlwarrior

Re: Bring the PC version back to life

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:05 am

Given the ease of creating mods that can be easily converted for use with NBA Live 2005 through to NBA Live 08, it would be cool to revive the modding scene for the last few NBA Live releases on PC. As you said of course, time is a factor, and it does become difficult to justify dedicating that time to larger projects given that it's for a more niche audience now. Nevertheless, the resources are always there, and new mods are always welcome, no matter the age of the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:50 am

It is. We would need to use the latest most stable roster as a base. Something like NBA Action 15. And just fill in the missing players on each team for now. I’m not an expert on cyberfaces and never have been but it cannot be a complete overhaul. Some players will have to be missing because anyone would be burnt out. Are any 2k modders willing to give it a shot? Those guys are just as talented as our members back in the day. I know there are some tired of playing one game. It’ll be nice to play two updated games.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:57 pm

One solution would be to utilise the generic faces that are in the game for generated rookies: https://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/in ... _Face_List

These could be placeholders until such time as a proper face is made for a player. It wouldn't be visually perfect, but it'd beat having no update at all, and as long as care is taken with ratings and whatnot, it would still be fun to play with. And again, if it's an ongoing project, those faces can be added as they're made, so it can improve along the way.

I'd suggest that'd be a more realistic way of getting things done at this juncture. Additionally, if something substantial is out there, that might encourage people to get involved with some art updates. If the project is nothing but unreleased potential, that enthusiasm likely won't be there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:24 am

Thank you! That is very useful info. I never knew about those player generated rookies.
atlwarrior

Postby atlwarrior on Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:07 am

Nba live 08 is tricky in windows 10. I have to run the game as an Administrator. :lol: Old game probs. It’s still fun. I used Swishnet Rosters. He has the rosters updated to 2021. I’ll likely do some tweaking because it’s a lot of things off but he has the cyberfaces.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:44 pm

Since Windows 7, NBA Live 2005 through 08 have had a tendency to not close their processes properly after exiting. Easy enough to end them through the Task Manager, and I've also uploaded Task Killer batch files to the Downloads section if people find that more convenient than going through Crtl+Alt+Del. Not the best backwards compatibility, and I've heard Windows 11 doesn't support them at all, but we can make them work. More importantly, the tools still work!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am

I’m still cooking up something. Had to figure out what aiact I’ll base my roster off of. I was going to use Bayag but he uses the 07’s running animations which I partially take the blame for because I was one of the first people to do that. Now 7 years later it looks hideous. The players ran way too fast. I also added the passing animations too which was a horrible idea. 07’s passing was good for it’s time but now it looks like the ball is attached to a string. I went back to Kris’ latest aiact with his sliders. There’s a lot of turnovers but the running and passing animations look more natural. That matters to me a lot more now that I’ve been on PS4/PS5 all these years. I finished the Warriors and Lakers edits (Lakers are missing Austin Reaves). I did the primacy updates and Threeptatt, score area updates as well. It’s hard because for some reason I cannot use excel to edit DBF files. Excel isn’t compatible anymore. I saw the EA’s formula was ancient so I just said screw it, I’ll just use 2k’s. It worked great. But you will see some wild overall ratings. Draymond is going to be a 90. I think GPII was a 92 :D :lol: ! They all played like themselves. I had to use maek’s fatigue fix and tweak to my liking. Every player’s stamina is -25 points from their 2K stamina. Primacy ratings are based off the touch tendencies from 2K. My wife is looking at me crazy because I’m spending all this time on an old game.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:25 am

DB Commander is still available, and works beyond the trial date with most of the necessary functionality intact. That's what I use.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:38 am

DB Commander is kind of outdated. I hated save functions of it. You should use OpenOffice to modify DBF files. At least it saves the files properly. Also Ayiep had released a NBA Live Editor for NBA Live 08, it has a good UI.

With some modifications NBA Live 08 is a decent game, TUP 09 was fun to play.

NBA Action 15 can be a good start, but I think graphics wise starting from scratch is a better idea, except faces and uniforms.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:25 am

I've never had a problem saving in DB Commander. Just move to another cell. With that being said, I'm all for using whatever works best and most efficiently for you. Fortunately, the DBF format gives us some readily available options!

The NBA Live Editor is definitely another good alternative. One issue is that it saves the databases in a way that messes them up when you try to view them in Excel or another spreadsheet program. Not a huge deal if you continue to use it for all of your work, but it can make it tougher to convert the rosters for use with another NBA Live, or if you decide to switch programs at any point. Just something to keep in mind when using that program, otherwise it's very well-made and convenient.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:26 am

I wanted to confirm this project is dead. I honestly am not having fun with it. Maybe I'll revisit another NBA Live like 05 or 06 but right now I cannot do this one. I had a lot of great memories with this one but it's time to move on.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:51 pm

Understandable, NBA Live 08 PC was rough. A lot of stuff can be fairly easily be converted between NBA Live 2005, 06, 07, and 08, and some files are completely interchangeable, so any assets on hand could potentially be recycled.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:56 pm

I think out of NBA Live 2005-08, 06 was the best, it had similar gameplay with 2005 but other features were improved. 07 was a mess, especially the quit crash is annoying, 08 was even worse. Sometimes it would crash for whatever reason. I think you should continue with 06, if you plan a comeback.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:17 am

06 is definitely the strongest all-around release in my book. That's why we chose it for the NBA Live PC project back in the day.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 08