I’m a little late in posting this, but the latest developer blog has given us an insight into MyNBA. MyNBA is the new franchise mode in NBA 2K21 Next Gen, combining and replacing MyLEAGUE, MyLEAGUE Online, and MyGM.
Although the new mode is a combination of the previous three, fans of each experience will be able to find what they’re looking for thanks to its deep customisation. The RPG elements of MyGM can be toggled on or off as desired, and the sandbox experience of MyLEAGUE remains. The new Play With Friends option takes the mode online, while Ranked play limits the amount of customisation. Tattoos for generated players have returned, and the number of teams can also be reduced to as few as 12.
I’ve posted a breakdown of the blog below, but be sure to check out the original post for the full scoop. Got any thoughts? Share them in the comments below, and join in the discussion here in the Forum! Dee4Three and I will also be sharing our thoughts on the MyNBA blog in this week’s episode of the NLSC Podcast, so stay tuned.
NBA 2K21 MyNBA Developer Blog Breakdown
- As mentioned above, MyNBA is a combination of MyLEAGUE, MyLEAGUE Online, and MyGM. Depending on the options you choose, you can set up the franchise experience you want, offline or online.
- There are familiar setup options including the ability to hold a Fantasy Draft, use a custom roster, modify the salary cap, or change other league settings. We’ll also now be able to change the league rules before starting a new game.
- For the first time, we can choose to have less than 30 teams, with 12 being the new minimum. As the blog notes, along with custom rules, this will allow us to essentially run retro seasons.
- Advanced CBA rules can be toggled on and off, depending on whether you want the most realistic franchise experience possible, or a more simplified game.
- Role-Playing Elements are essentially the old MyGM features, and include aspects such as Conversations, Tasks, Morale, Chemistry, and so on. As noted, these can be toggled on and off, depending on what you want out of the MyNBA experience. Budgeting and financial tasks are also still included, and are likewise optional.
- Play With Friends is the new online league mode within MyNBA. It will include all customisation options, such as the ability to reduce the number of teams for a smaller league.
- The Automate Offseason Time Periods is a method of turning off/automating the offseason, offering a more streamlined experience for those who prefer it.
- Start From returns, providing the ability to start a new game from the current date. It obviously won’t be available until the 2021 season tips off.
- G League games are now playable, but can also be simulated if preferred.
- The new Ranked mode is still a work in progress, but will operate similar to the previous MyGM mode with its online leaderboards.
- Improvements have been made to the Boom/Bust System, with younger players having a more dynamic growth path.
- An additional Assistant Coach can be hired and fired, and will actually appear on the bench during gameplay.
- Custom league setups can be shared in-game via 2K Share, similar to rosters and franchise saves. Again, this will help with retro league rosters.
- Generated players can once again have tattoos.
- A new slide menu has been added for easier navigation.