There’s been a lot of interest in 2klove’s 2020 season roster for NBA 2K11 PC since it was posted, thanks in no small part to a recent video by Dom2k. The video has resulted in an influx of new members, to whom I say welcome to the NLSC, and I hope you enjoy your time here!
It seems that many of those new members are also new to the PC modding scene. To that end, I thought it would be helpful if I compiled some notes on how to install the rosters and accompanying art mods, clarify some of our policies, and give a heads up on where to pick up NBA 2K11 PC if you don’t have a copy.
2klove’s roster is available here. Please note that it shouldn’t be confused with the update that I’m working on, and hope to have out soon. You can keep tabs on that project here. While we can generally only offer support for our own mods, hopefully these notes will help you get everything set up! Read on for more details.
Getting NBA 2K11
You will need to own the full version of NBA 2K11 PC to use the 2020 season roster. At the moment there are some files in the archive that shouldn’t be there, so it will need to be repackaged. That is something that we’ll be addressing as soon as we possibly can. Our policy is that we only support legal versions of games.
Unfortunately, it seems that the Steam version of NBA 2K11 is no longer available. Up until last year, it was possible to get to the game’s Steam Store page via Google and purchase it that way, but the link now redirects to the index. This means that the only legal way of acquiring NBA 2K11 PC is to get the disc version.
Your best bet here is either eBay or Amazon if you’re in North America. Outside North America, eBay is probably your only option; in my experience, a lot of game retailers on Amazon sadly do not provide international shipping. If you find any alternative sources for the legal version of the game, please let us know!
Finally, this mod is for PC only. It cannot be used with any of the console releases.
Installing the 2020 Season Roster
Several gamers who are new to the PC modding scene have had trouble while trying to install the 2020 season roster, or use them once they’re installed. Hopefully this guide will help you out!
- Make sure that you download all parts of the main folder updates, so that the archive will open properly. Once again, links to all the mod’s files can be found here.
- Extract the files from the NBA 2K11 folder in the archive, directly to your NBA 2K11 folder (by default, that’ll be C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Sports\NBA 2K11 in 64-bit Windows)
- Make sure that the files have gone directly into that folder. If they’re in a subfolder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Sports\NBA 2K11\NBA 2K11 or something similar), the game won’t load them. If you extracted the files to the right place, they’ll be overwriting original files.
- Also make sure that you download the custom roster file (19-20.ROS). Everything else is artwork, this is the actual roster with updated lineups and new players.
- Place that roster file in your NBA 2K11 saves folder. To get there, use the Run command (Windows Key + R) or Search/Cortana, and type in %Appdata% and press Enter. This will take you to the Roaming folder, where you can then go to 2K Sports and finally NBA 2K11. This is where you need to place the roster file.
- Once all the files have been placed in the correct folder, you can run the game.
- Now you’ll need to load the roster in-game. Go to Options, Load/Save, and finally Load. Look for the 19-20 roster file (19-20), and select it.
- Note that you will likely have to reload the roster at some point, as it doesn’t permanently replace the default roster.
Additional Help & Troubleshooting
If you still need help getting everything working, feel free to post in this topic. To help out the people who will be trying to help you, it’s best to let us know exactly what you’ve done, step-by-step. I don’t say this to be nasty or condescending, but oftentimes when people say they’ve done everything correctly, they’ve either:
- Missed one of the steps.
- Not actually done everything right, even if it’s just a minor mistake in file placement, or forgetting to load the custom roster (it’s easily enough done!).
To that end, explaining what you’ve done helps us to pinpoint the problem and advise you on how to get everything working. It’s easy enough to make a small mistake or not know where to put certain files when you’re new to modding, and if we know what things look like at your end, it’s easier for us to help you out.
Overwriting the original .exe file commonly causes issues with this mod. That file shouldn’t be there, and will be removed when it’s repackaged. Keep or restore your original .exe file to avoid problems.
A big thanks to 2klove and his team for the 2020 season roster for NBA 2K11 PC, and congratulations on the release! Thanks once again to Dom2k for spotlighting the mod in a video, and pointing gamers in our direction. If I may end on a cheap plug, stay tuned for my update, as well as the Kobe Tribute roster I’ve been working on!