Following on from last week’s insight into gameplay, this week’s developer blog by Erick Boenisch discusses NBA 2K21 MyTEAM. It’s a much longer read compared to the gameplay blog, with a lot more information to take on board.
Key points include the implementation of Seasons, which will feature their own objectives and rewards. Erick also reiterates that our collection, Tokens, and overall progress will carry over between Current Gen and Next Gen, as long as we’re on the same console family (e.g. PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5 and Xbox One to Xbox Series X), and are using the same account.
Other new and updated features include MyTEAM Limited, MyTEAM Unlimited 2.0, and The Exchange. I’ve summarised the NBA 2K21 MyTEAM blog below, but be sure to give the entire blog a read to get the full scoop. You can also check out the MyTEAM trailer below and share your thoughts in the comments, as well as join in the discussion here in the Forum!
NBA 2K21 MyTEAM Developer Blog Breakdown
- Cross-compatibility between Current Gen and Next Gen is once again confirmed for NBA 2K21 MyTEAM. Collections, progress, Tokens, and everything else will be shared, as long as you’re on the same console family (e.g. PS4 to PS5, X1 to X1X). We can also go back and forth between platforms and continue our progress.
- Seasons have been implemented this year, with a new Season beginning every six weeks or so. They’ll add new objectives and content, with Daily, Weekly, and Seasonal Agendas. Earning XP to level up wins prizes, and each Season will have a grand prize. Vault prizes will also update every season, as will the selection of Reward Market cards.
- Triple Threat Offline will begin with 300 wins on the ladder. Each Season will add more wins to earn, with new prizes that level up to stay consistent with new cards that are released. New Seasons will also add new Boards in Triple Threat Online, and the ball drops faster this year.
- Domination will receive new tiers throughout the year. They won’t come through with each new Season, but we can expect a few to be added.
- MyTEAM Limited is a new 5v5 online mode that is only playable Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It will also challenge gamers by featuring restrictions on lineups (e.g. no players over the age of 23). By collecting Championship Rings in MyTEAM Limited, you’ll be able to earn rewards including a new grand prize every Season.
- MyTEAM Unlimited 2.0 features nine leagues, each having a set number of wins to advance to the next.
- The Exchange will allow us to trade in unwanted cards for rewards. There’ll be a risk factor here for MyTEAM Limited players, since some of those unwanted cards may actually be useful in meeting the lineup requirements.
- Badges are back, and must be applied sequentially (Bronze, then Silver, then Gold, etc) to be upgraded.
- Evolution cards also return, and will have branching Badge-based evolution paths that determine which objectives you need to meet.
- A new prize mechanic called Ascension has been added, in which we select from face-down cards and try to ascend to higher tiers of rewards.
- Other content this year includes the IDOLS Series, Signature Challenges based on memorable performances, an Objective Tracker, a holographic basketball, and something mysterious that’s being referred to as “Dark Matter”. The pre-order Promo packs will also offer the chance to pull rare cards.