Editing School Names
This tutorial contains information on how to edit school names in NBA Live 2005 (though it should also work for other versions of the game) and contains information originally posted by VMS in the NLSC Forum.
This tutorial applies to the following games:
You should however be able to make the same changes to any game in the series which utilises the locale.eng file.
Can I add NEW schools? No.
Can I edit existing schools? Yes.
Things you MUST HAVE to follow this tutorial:
- A Hex Editor such as FXEDIT32
- The name of the school you wish to replace
- A back-up of the file locale.eng
That's all you need! Got it all? Then read on.
- Open your Hex Editor. For this tutorial, we'll be using FXEDIT32.
- Locate your 'loc' folder. Usually, it will be here: C:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\NBA LIVE 2005\loc
- Open the file locale.eng. There is a file called 'locale' without the '.eng' at the end of the name. DO NOT open this one!
- Click Search > Find String
- Check BOTH boxes 'Search from Beginning of File' AND 'Ignore Case in Strings'. This will make the search start at the beginning, and turn the case-sensitive option OFF, in case your capital letters are incorrect. In the 'Find String' window, type in part of the school's name. Since I'm going to replace The Master's College I'll type in master's (Make sure to type in something that is unique to the school. Don't type in Boston, or North because there are 2 colleges with Boston in the name and 16 occurrences of the word North).
- Once you've found the correct school, use the arrow keys to move the yellow box over the first letter of the school, in the left pane.
- Click Edit > Edit String. The box should now be red.
- Starting with the first letter, begin to replace the letters. Spaces can replace letters and periods, and vice versa, but do not put any more periods into the title. If there's still letters left that you don't need, replace each letter with a space. If you run out of space and you begin editing the next phrase, you need to start over. Exit FXEDIT32, and when it asks you if you want to save the changes, click no. This time, use a different replacement college, one with more letters.
- When you're sure you've got it all right, save 'locale.eng' and quit FXEDIT32. Run NBA Live, go t Create A Player, or Edit Player, go to the School section. Your new school name will have replaced the old school's name.
The new school will have replaced the old one alphabetically as well, so it will not be in the right spot. If you replace Air Force with Z college, the school will be located in the As NOT the Zs!
Tips on choosing a school to replace
- First of all, not all schools are available in Create-A-Player, like DeShawn Stevenson's school: Washington U. HS (CA). Most high schools are excluded, as well as unpopular colleges, so before editing a college, make sure that the college is available through Create-a-Player first.
- Count the number of characters in the new name that you want. Characters are basically the keys you press to type in your college. The name Rollins College (FL) has 20 characters, which are as follows: R-O-L-L-I-N-S-space-C-O-L-L-E-G-E-space-(-F-L-) (without the dashes) So make sure the school you wish to replace has the same amount or MORE characters than the school you wish to put in the game.
- Also, it's wise to replace a school that is not often used. UCLA, Duke, and St. Joseph's would be bad choices, because many NBA players are alumni of the schools, and their schools will change if you edit these colleges.